Anyone heard of General Grabber tyres?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Anyone of you ML boys used General Grabber UHP tyres?
The Freelander's Michelins are down to a fingernail above the bar so it's time for them to go. I've been doing the usual research and whilst a replacement set of Michelins makes good sense, I don't fancy finding £600+ for a new set.
I've been going through the options from mytyres and blackcirlces, reading reviews on each. Interesting reading.
Obvious choices like Goodyear Wrangler and Pirelli Scorpion get thoroughly slagged off in all the reviews. I like Khumos on the merc but can't find anything convincing about their 4x4 tyres so not going there.
I saw 'General Grabber' listed but at a cheap price and I'd not heard of them so I put them in the 'don't even think about it' category and read on. But after researching each tyre in turn, getting very close to Michelin prices and not only not reading anything impressive, but in many cases reading worrying things, I started going backwards down the list.
Anyway, I've now read lots of reviews on this tyre and everyone I read says they're the best thing since tarmac. Fabulous grip, long life, excellent wet road capability and even some fairly good off road ability.... and quiet into the bargain. (bear in mind that they're only £400 fitted - 30% less than Michelin or to put it another way, the Michelins are 50% more!). Almost too good to be true, but many reviews have been on forums like this so on the face of it, failry honest, no axe to grind views.
So, just before I press the buy button, anyone ever used these?

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
costco are doing 20% off if you buy 4 tyres atm in the voucher book(they only do michelins), their prices are keen to start off so it might be a good idea to check it out. it cost £23 to join for a year by the time you buy a few mobile1 at £23 you will have save your membership £

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
General grabber very common amongst 4X4 dirvers, never heard a bad word about them, and I think they are Big in the USofA

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
I've got General Grabber ST2s on my Cherokee and have to say that I'm very impressed. They're quite an agressive tread but are surprisingly quiet on the road. Off road they give good grip and I haven't got stuck yet! They also seem to be pretty hard wearing.

Don't know what their other tyres are like but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the ST2.

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
costco are doing 20% off if you buy 4 tyres atm in the voucher book(they only do michelins), their prices are keen to start off so it might be a good idea to check it out. it cost £23 to join for a year by the time you buy a few mobile1 at £23 you will have save your membership £

Thanks.
I was thinking about costco and if I was stuck on Michelins I'd definatley give them a go - nit sure how they compare t mytyres and Blackcircles though.
I've let my costco membership lapse Sure they're cheap, and an amazing returns policy, but I never seem to get out of there with less than £150 worth of stuff I 'needed'. So, in the end, I stopped going.
I may look into their prices though, worth a call, but I doubt even they can do Michelins at £100 a corner.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I have General Grabbers on the front axle of my P38 4.6. Havent done to many miles yet,but I think they're a good tyre [slightly reduces fuel consumption though.
Worked well in the snow last winter!:lol:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.

I can't find my voucher book but that offer must have either run out, or be very close to running out - it ran through most of June.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Check out COOPER TYRES (Tires) made in the US, are well respected with good products.

Roger

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
I can't find my voucher book but that offer must have either run out, or be very close to running out - it ran through most of June.

there is usually loads by the entrance, they have put all the offers on at the same time in this booklet instead of different voucher for different weeks. i must agree this voucher is about to end soon
why dont you ring them and ask for the price and if the voucher is still current? saves you membership cost if the tyres are a lot more

scorpio stu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E230 Estate 1997 P reg in Silver & Navy Chrylser PT Cruiser with all the chrome
I had general grabber all terrain2 on my pajero. Great tyre and price.Have a look at black circle tyres. Igot them from there delivered to a local garage and fitted and the old tyres taken away for £350 for 4. I thought that was very reasonable (prices may have changed now).

OP
jberks

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I figured, even with Costco discounts, Michelins were still going to be a lot more so I've gone for the Generals.
By now they should be sitting in some tyre place in Bradford (the only one that could fit me in tomorrow morning). Ordered from Blackcircles and they called me back when the garage I chose couldn't fit me in and found me someone who could - so top marks for service, and price. I just hope they tyres live up to expectation - if views and reviews are anything to go on, they should :).

M

marksman

General Grabber are big in the USA, a household name among car enthusiasts for at least 30 years to my knowledge. They are well worth a look.

Will C

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom