Anyone heard of Oponeo tyre supplier? Are they a scam company?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Did you ever make those ashtrays with the psychedelic art effects in the injection moulding lessons!!! wtf were they made from? :shock::rolleyes:

That carcinogenic carbon black inhaled through the filters of the test sets where some bright spark union rep had unscrewed the sampler cap and put pelletised EPDM or Cryogenic ground polyisoprene nibs wiped in CB between the filters claiming it was getting into his lungs. As we led the development of COSHH and oil/polymer bound smalls to reduce airborne carcinogens. Happy days where 'that's impossible to do', but it were done and things like caplets in pharma were born. An age of discovery and innovation where R&D was understood. I did fail after spending £24m on one development, but the spin off is used daily in another application that our military members appreciate when fired upon. :cool::D
No, but seen the end results, unbreakable a bit like the dreaded Bakelite (ignoring the noxious fumes created during incendiary)....we digress just a little !

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
£116 each is a great price, Camskill will be £120, I would order, Oponeo have a good reputation

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Think this will explain most, there is no effective legal stance as Such
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/tyre-s-date-of-manufacture

Just ordered 2 rears Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s ( 275/40 R19 101Ys ) £116 each.
Saved £100 on the price of the Asymmetric 3s ...

Oponeo say they come from Germany and guarantee they are less than 3 years old ( Deutsche Law ).
Got to be better than these current terrible ditch-finders!
My good tyre Guys will fit and balance them for £14 inc VaT each ... seems reasonable. As they are careful.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just ordered 2 rears Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s ( 275/40 R19 101Ys ) £116 each.
Saved £100 on the price of the Asymmetric 3s ...

Oponeo say they come from Germany and guarantee they are less than 3 years old ( Deutsche Law ).
Got to be better than these current terrible ditch-finders!
My good tyre Guys will fit and balance them for £14 inc VaT each ... seems reasonable. As they are careful.
Beware of the performance drop off in cold weather of Assymetric 2s - it falls off a cliff below about 10 degrees.

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
Ordered on Monday last week before 10am received them before 12am on Tuesday at one of their fitting partners, asked the fitters if they could match the price or the delivery time, the answer £ 15 more and deliver in 48 hrs for the lowest bill.Oponeo win again with fast delivery from the London depot also could use my paypal account. 5* company.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Also used them once about 5 years ago. Tyres came from Germany took about 2 days from ordering, no problems.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
I just had a set of rainsport 3's delivered from Camskill,they beat oponeo by £20 a corner,delivered in 2 days.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
One arrived yesterday and the other today. Took 6 days and 7 days respectively.u
So fairly slow delivery but at a great price.
Both are week 43 2017. So just over 2 years old.
In Germany a tyre must be under 3 years old at the point of sale.

My front GY Asymmetric 3’s are week 28 2016 i,e 3 months old when bought.

I just looked st the old ditch-finder Accelera’s and noticed both have fine cracking on the sidewall!
And fairly pronounced cracking arouns the edge of the rim protector. :-/ so just in time!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Beware of the performance drop off in cold weather of Assymetric 2s - it falls off a cliff below about 10 degrees.

Wow that is unwelcome news!
They have an A rating for wet roadholding. Didn't see that in any reviews :-(

Are they bad even once the tyre has warmed up?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Wow that is unwelcome news!
They have an A rating for wet roadholding. Didn't see that in any reviews :-(

Are they bad even once the tyre has warmed up?
In winter they don't really warm up.
I was really surprised how quickly grip dropped off.
For comparison I now have Falken FK510 tyres on the back of the 230 and they are far less affected. Similarly the Rainsport 3s on the Smart Roadster, 129 and 210 don't suffer nearly as much from temperature drop off.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Why purchase tyres from a dealer you do not trust?

Driving a >£40 vehicle and being Micky Mouse about the rubber.

My stepdad always told me "don't buy a car you cannot afford to maintain".

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
In winter they don't really warm up.
I was really surprised how quickly grip dropped off.
For comparison I now have Falken FK510 tyres on the back of the 230 and they are far less affected. Similarly the Rainsport 3s on the Smart Roadster, 129 and 210 don't suffer nearly as much from temperature drop off.

Pretty disappointed, as I went for these over the asymmetric 3’s because they have an A rating in the wet, whereas the 3’s have a C .
To me wet and winter holding are more important than ultimate dry performance.
Oh well too late now..... just hope its not so dramatic in 275’s, assuming your 230 is running 285s like mine. Plus maybe a little more weight on the back of a CL.?

Just a tad miffed I didn't see that weakness in any of the numerous reviews.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pretty disappointed, as I went for these over the asymmetric 3’s because they have an A rating in the wet, whereas the 3’s have a C .
Oh well too late now..... just hope its not so dramatic in 275’s, assuming your 230 is running 285s like mine. Plus maybe a little more weight on the back of a CL.?

I've yet to see any review discuss cold weather performance - especially of a summer tyre.
I'm running 285/35/19 on the SL.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Why purchase tyres from a dealer you do not trust?

Driving a >£40 vehicle and being Micky Mouse about the rubber.

My stepdad always told me "don't buy a car you cannot afford to maintain".

Hence the point of doing my due diligence on this ‘new to me’ supplier.
If you don't explore new horizons, you don't progress.
I wouldn't put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s in the mickey mouse category, they do far better in the reviews, than the Pirelli Rosso's that my previous new SLs came on .

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Hence the point of doing my due diligence on this ‘new to me’ supplier.
If you don't explore new horizons, you don't progress.
I wouldn't put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s in the mickey mouse category, they do far better in the reviews, than the Pirelli Rosso's that my previous new SLs came on .

Mickey Mouse was probably a bit strong.....apologies...I assumed it was also their brand of tyre.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Not uncommon with tyre places,

I had the fronts on my car changed last year, in the past they were 165 each. I called a few places they were around 120. Then called my usual place and they were 92 fitted. I sked him 3 times if thats the right price. Yes it was.

Sometimes tyre places get tyres on offer from the manufacturer.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup

Why didn't you go for the asymmetric 5's, they have a better review than the 3's and there cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, i have the 3's on my track car for road use and wet trackdays, they are amazing but the 5's are supposed to be better.

Asymmetric 3's for mine are £150. asymmetric 5's are £125

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
One arrived yesterday and the other today. Took 6 days and 7 days respectively.u
So fairly slow delivery but at a great price.
Both are week 43 2017. So just over 2 years old.
In Germany a tyre must be under 3 years old at the point of sale.

My front GY Asymmetric 3’s are week 28 2016 i,e 3 months old when bought.

I just looked st the old ditch-finder Accelera’s and noticed both have fine cracking on the sidewall!
And fairly pronounced cracking arouns the edge of the rim protector. :-/ so just in time!

I assume it doesn't matter so much in the UK as it's colder and if the price is right....but I'm surprised they're allowed to sell them even that old as in hot weather countries tyres last 5 years max - my tyres have small cracking in the sidewall too and have been on the car under 4yrs but were made a year and a half before being put on the car which explains why - they've done 75k miles so I'm not too bothered but even at that mileage I'm replacing them for age rather than tread (2.5 to 3mm left) something I'd never thought would happen.

It might be something to consider next purchase as from what I remember you don't do much mileage so may well be replacing due to age rather than tread and so newer would be better.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Why didn't you go for the asymmetric 5's, they have a better review than the 3's and there cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, i have the 3's on my track car for road use and wet trackdays, they are amazing but the 5's are supposed to be better.

Asymmetric 3's for mine are £150. asymmetric 5's are £125
I Didn't know there were 5s.
I went for 2s as Goodyear recommended them to go with my 3s on the fronts .... something to do with a better compatibility of tread patterns.
Note 3s in 275/40 19” were unavailable until Maserati started shipping them in October this year.

Top Bottom