Anyone using SUPER fuels?

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
After getting my W210 E320 CDI Avantguarde in mid 2015, I tried using BP/SHELL Super diesel which returned around 35-40 mpg and largely blew out a lot of black smoke when floored.

However since start of 2016 have solely been using Asda / Tesco cheapest and getting an easy 45 mpg on long runs and covering 20,000 miles to present, and without so much, or less black smoke when floored up to 80 mph.

Mostly, the reason for this was when i had my first Merc an E230 Estate back in the 80s I phoned the Central suppliers in Milton Keynes to ask about using super unleaded over cheapest unleaded as was recommended in handbook, to which their boffin said to NEVER use Super unless you can't get ordinary, and then to only get enough to next garage otherwise it will damage the engine.

Asking dealer, pretty much like now, they knew nothing even after asking workshop, and they told me to phone MK Importers listed on back of handbook.

Disregarding mileage had transmission oil & filters along with full service done by indie in june 2015, and given another full service in June 2017, so should i need to do it every year or every 2 years as I'm not doing the mileage between servicing anyway.

Hope you find this helpful.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Yes, I use Shell V Power and Tesco Momentum 99 RON because its recommended for an AMG engine.
The higher octane fuel is supplied for a purpose, but no point using it in a car that doesn't need it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
All my cars run Tesco. The only one to run super unleaded is the Smart as it runs a high boost and high advance map.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Inside your fuel filler cap it should show which octane fuel to use , using anything above that isn't required for the engine .

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Yes, I use Shell V Power and Tesco Momentum 99 RON because its recommended for an AMG engine.
The higher octane fuel is supplied for a purpose, but no point using it in a car that doesn't need it.

My motorbike says minimum 95 RON so I always used to put standard in it, even on a track day despite my brother arguing it would run better on super.
"Any gains are just in the mind", was my argument unless the engine is designed for the super fuel and mine isn't.

So, after years of ignoring him, I put super in it to shut him up and blow me, it ran so much smoother. It was night and day difference. I can't say it was better flat out but at low revs it was so smooth I could use a gear lower when riding around town. I've used super in it ever since so now I'm on the other side of the fence.
My car still gets standard as I don't think it would benefit.
Double blind tests are best because most people will "feel" a difference when they know it has super in it but it's probably just in the mind.

GordonTarling

Reaction score
Website
www.hackerbrushless.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2007 E63 AMG Estate
I have to use super unleaded in my E63, never tried anything less. I often fill up at Sainsburys, mainly because it's convenient, and I've noted that they don't declare the RON numbers on their pumps. I always thought that was a requirement, am I wrong?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fill up with Shell V-Power about once a month, or maybe every six weeks - just to keep the innards (of which I know nothing about) clean, otherwise it's standard unleaded - BP or Shell - the car is not turbo, so no need to go over 95.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Like some others on here my 63 requires super unleaded and I’ve experimented with most of them
Shell V Power
BP ultimate
Tesco 99 Ron
Sainsbury’s super ( as said 97Ron)
My car runs better on Sainsbury’s!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
This is my personal opinion based on what I’ve read and experienced. Not refuting anyone else’s claims or experiences.

If talking Petrol then yes you may see a difference, especially if the car is close to needing a service but hasn’t had one. Modern super unleaded, apart from having a higher octane, usually contain a lot of detergents etc to help clean the engine and fuel system.

The other thing to bare in mind is most people drive the car a bit harder when they fill up with super if they don’t normally as they want to feel the difference.

However to put simply, if your car isn’t tuned to take into account the higher octane fuel then you are wasting money. Yes you may get better fuel economy. But you need to work out is the circa 10ppl more actually giving you better economic value? Eg a 60ltr tank costs an extra £6 to fill. But how far can you go on £6 of standard petrol? If the super gets you an extra 100miles per tank and the £6 of standard gets you only 50miles then you are better off with the super. But I doubt it would be that much.

AMG engines absolutely will benefit from high octane fuel. They’re tuned to do so.

Diesel on the other hand is different. Standard diesel fuel has a higher cetane rating than super diesel. The super diesel has cleaners and other additives in. I don’t/didn’t find any real advantage to using super diesel in either my previous C350 CDI or my current E250 CDI.

For non tuned or standard engines then use standard fuel and say every 5th fill use super to keep the engine in good condition. This is what I do with mine.

For any tuned/high performance engine then use super fuels exclusively.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I have had my 2016 E350 from new and have always used super diesel fuels, more for peace of mind and in the belief rightly or wrongly that the extra cleaners in the fuel can do no harm.

Since retirement I don’t do the mileage I used to but I don’t do any very short or urban journeys.

Maybe I’m wasting my money who knows as there are so many differing opinions.

Robin

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
For my S350 diesel I find that Shell V Power just about gves me "just about" extra mpg to justify the cost but don't worry if I have to fill with non-Shell - ecept it doesn't seem to like my local Sainsbury diesel.

barnaclebill15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk220cdi/2006/diesel
Used to use Shell V power petrol in my BMW Z4 and it did run better than ordinary fuel if I had to use it but in my CLK now I use supermarket diesel and I think super diesel would be a waste of money in a standard egine.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Out of interest, regarding these detergents and cleaners in fuels, is it better to buy seperate injector cleaners say every 3 months and just use normal fuels? Or is injector cleaner altogether different? I remember Tesco used to do redex diesel on offer every so often for 2 pounds. Cheap enough so you could add it to every tankful if you wanted and still be cheaper than super.

I've never bought anything other than the cheapest diesel I can and chuck in redex every 6 months (especially before MOT test) and no problems. Mind I've also chucked in 15L of out of date vegetable oil I needed to get rid of (5L at a time with a full tank) and didn't notice it run any better/worse either.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The main reason I don’t use the 99 Ron from Tesco is that there is only 1 x filling station on the Wirral with it, and that is ancient with ancient tanks and crap pumps (only 1 having the Momentum 99)- I worry more about the fuel storage contamination to be honest than the fuel itself (remember I work in the industry somewhat). My Sainsbury’s are all relatively new stations, as are BP and Shell....just sayin

Top Bottom