Approved Mercedes Problem

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Sad when we don't get the end of the story.

According to the AA 60% of company cars are involved in an accident per year. Incredible. And company cars are at least half of new cars (even bigger percentage of luxury brands). And privately owned cars have accidents too. So many secondhand cars will inevitably have accident damage.

There is no law to require people to declare all accidents to cars or to put in the logbook repairs done and who they were done by.

So buying secondhand sadly always carries the risk for most of us that a car may have been damaged and repaired. (Most cannot see the repair as they do it so well at most places. Television can, but most cannot). Trouble is that if the repair was done at a non approved bodyshop it destroys the 30 year Mobilo rust warranty, and goodwill treatment too in most cases.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that it is worse Hawk when someone does under car damage like hitting the car hard on a kerb, enough to buckle a wheel and bend many suspension just by a little amount, yes we have alignment jigs,but they never get used on these cases as the cost of setting them up is too high.

With body damage and small shunts ,sure we cannot throw the cars away. Perhaps it is good that the scrap cars make such good money, so that cars that are questionable can be written off, like a car that has been hit in the side and damaged both doors and the B pillar, MB provide the repairing details for such repairs, but cars with the doors only will get repaired,and those with B pillar damage will not

merc7

Reaction score
:mad:ANY more updates?!,i can not believe it ,i am having exactly the same issue as you ,the car is also was a company car @ MB Milton Keynes.The car also involved in some kind of accident main mb dealer have no record they are liaison with head quarters

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK let us say that I have a newish car, and I am a bad insurance risk, even with a company car, and I slide off the road doing some damage. I take the car to my local friends who do bodywork etc. they fit a new wing and bumper, I pay them cash, and no one would be any the wiser as to why that car had been repaired,, it could get back into the MB network with no reports of any damage. This kind of thing does go on,,it has always been like this

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Sad when we don't get the end of the story.

According to the AA 60% of company cars are involved in an accident per year. Incredible. And company cars are at least half of new cars (even bigger percentage of luxury brands). And privately owned cars have accidents too. So many secondhand cars will inevitably have accident damage.

There is no law to require people to declare all accidents to cars or to put in the logbook repairs done and who they were done by.

So buying secondhand sadly always carries the risk for most of us that a car may have been damaged and repaired. (Most cannot see the repair as they do it so well at most places. Television can, but most cannot). Trouble is that if the repair was done at a non approved bodyshop it destroys the 30 year Mobilo rust warranty, and goodwill treatment too in most cases.

If you ask a dealer a direct question about accident history are they not legally obliged to tell you the truth? Much like houses? Of course a dealer may not know, but in some cases cars have obviously had 'work' done, so could you not go back and them for not spotting it?

merc7

Reaction score
I been offered a repair by MB dealer where can i go from here?,do i just accept?:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I been offered a repair by MB dealer where can i go from here?,do i just accept?:confused:

What kind of damage is there evidence of on your car

merc7

Reaction score
What kind of damage is there evidence of on your car

I had few issues niggling defects /trim etc + few visits to the dealer (main MB dealer),but the last straw lacquer peeling off took it to their paint shop apparently there was some work carried out on the car but they do not know,where been carried out and how the car was damaged not documented??!,so they offered me so far an approved repair @ no cost!!!/under warranty,the car was an approved used car 10 months when i bought it still under 2 years old

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the repair is done by the book, then it should be better than if it had not been repainted at all,,, this could have been any little parking thing that the last driver paid for out of his own pocket,, it happens all day long to cars

J400uk

Reaction score
I'm quite shocked and surprised about how an ex MB-UK nearly new car could have such major damage and slip through the network like that as an approved used car.

I suspect the staff member who had the use of the vehicle at some stage would have crashed it, and then got it repaired cheaply at some backstreet bodyshop, meaning MB-UK and the dealer in question would never have known about the accident.

The approved used checks mean nothing these days, they would just assume a car like that is OK and stick it up for sale.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm quite shocked and surprised about how an ex MB-UK nearly new car could have such major damage and slip through the network like that as an approved used car.

I suspect the staff member who had the use of the vehicle at some stage would have crashed it, and then got it repaired cheaply at some backstreet bodyshop, meaning MB-UK and the dealer in question would never have known about the accident.

The approved used checks mean nothing these days, they would just assume a car like that is OK and stick it up for sale.
The people who work in these outlets do not know much about these things and would not know what to look for,, the market has been too easy for them for a long time.

The guys working on the checks only do the mechanical side and bodywork is not their job either

merc7

Reaction score
Mb dealer have redeemed them self got a good offer:D

J400uk

Reaction score
Shame the OP hasnt given us an update on whats going on with this car. Would be interested to hear the name of the dealer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shame the OP hasnt given us an update on whats going on with this car. Would be interested to hear the name of the dealer.

We will I think when he gets somewhere

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom