Are all Gear box Oils the same??

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Hi,
I am still going to change the Oil in My wife's 1999 SLK. I do know that MB oil is probaly better, but MB want £109 for the oil and as I have been told it should be changed between 35-50,000 (On here) I think that much money is a lot. I have been to a couple of motor factors and they both sell Commer Oil. I have been told 2 diferent types.
1) AQ3 Fully synthetic, Dextrol 3.
2) Another commer fully synthetic multi vehical I think it was call. Dextron 3.

Is Commer Oil a good alternative? and which oil if so.

Brian

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Go on Ebay, there are loads of places selling 1ltr bottles for around £8 each and you would need around 6-7 litres depending on your gearbox.

franey

Reaction score
I sell the Febi oil (fuchs) for £55 for 8 litres.......the correct stuff for the 722 box.

£60 delivered for 8 litres.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,
I am still going to change the Oil in My wife's 1999 SLK. I do know that MB oil is probably better, but MB want £109 for the oil and as I have been told it should be changed between 35-50,000 (On here) I think that much money is a lot. I have been to a couple of motor factors and they both sell Commer Oil. I have been told 2 different types.
2) Another commer fully synthetic multi vehicle I think it was call. Dextron 3.

Brian

It is the specification of the oil that matters - and the oil must be to that standard to be marketed as being of that specification.

Beyond that, choice of oil tends to be as much an emotional decision, "fuelled" by sales and marketing who want you to buy the most expensive. They also rely on the fact that if a product is not expensive enough (too cheap) we will automatically suspect that it is not of suitable quality and will not buy it!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
These days the spec is the most important thing with any oil or fluid. There are special oils produced for many makes, Ford have a special one for their new engines, just like VAG who have their own specs

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
These days the spec is the most important thing with any oil or fluid. There are special oils produced for many makes, Ford have a special one for their new engines, just like VAG who have their own specs[/QUOTE

I was told by a local Motor factor that using non ford recommeded oil caused turbo failure..so using the ford oil was crucial...and he only kept a limited amout of it for certain customers..'cos most people didnt like it..

As for the gearbox oil a local autobox outfit always use cheap oil when doing an oil change on a dodgy box, first of all to check if an oil change will suffice and cure the problem, then afer a few hundred miles change to a good quality oil..

Last edited:
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
There is no problem with the car or gearbox. I have just bought the car and I usually chnge the oil as a matter of fact as I do not know the age or condition of the oil/fluid. The only thing I need to know is do I use :-
2) Another commer fully synthetic multi vehical (I think it was called). Which was also a Dextron 3.

Brian

Brian23
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Brian23
Find all posts by Brian23
Add Brian23 to Your Contacts

#2 25-07-2009, 08:41 PM

Top Bottom