Are car alarms effective?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn't fit an alarm, flashing LED as per above. Alarms on,y drain the battery in my opinion. If you're worried about it being stolen fit a good immobiliser and visible steering locks. If it's theft from the car leave glove box and everything open to show there's nothing in the car. You could even leave it unlocked to save on damage.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think the film has some mileage, a lot of thieves want to be in and out quickly so maybe that with an alarm to annoy them while their attacking your car.
Maybe the noise will bring unwanted attention.

spock500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300TD, 1998
What about a wireless dashcam pointing into the car?

Activated if intruder detected switching into record or transmit mode. Some have a good line of sight range, how far are you from the garage?

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
And this evening, or perhaps last, my car was broken in.

They have ruined the dash, stolen the radio and various little things in the glove box, and even my baby's car seat! They broke the rear quarter light window and gained access.

This sort of thing is always very upsetting and will now be my fifth break-in. Pretty much every single car I've owned has had this treatment. Just though parking in a secure car park would make things better.

I was going to have an alarm fitted, or at the very least a flashing LED, but now this option seems like bolting the stable door, too little, too late.

I'll be needing a new mushroom central console, stereo, speakers and baby seat. The insurance company are sorting out the glass first thing tomorrow.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How sad reading this, why do the XXXX do it, all that damage and heartache

I do not know what else to say, maybe re think this through

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How sad reading this, why do the XXXX do it, all that damage and heartache

I do not know what else to say, maybe re think this through

Thanks M, I'm very sad about this. My wife and I love the car, its been great and was 99% perfect run. We just had our second family holiday and she didn't miss a beat. The new Pioneers were sounding great etc. A great shame.

I'll start looking through eBay and other sites for a central console and then find someone good to fit the ****** thing. My wife is very sad and annoyed about the car seat. Our baby was growing out of it but it still had plenty of life.

The glass will be replaced tomorrow, so tonight the car remains unsecured but the robbers killed the battery so it won't go anywhere, I hope. I can see blood on the driver's seat and front passenger seat, the Police are coming soon to take samples.

With the new glass in place I'll arrange for a professional valet. It feels so dirty in the car. A total violation of our private space.

Thanks for your concern. An alarm will be fitted this week. Some might say this is silly but I really have no other choice. This incident will cause my premium to increase so perhaps something Thatcham approved might be the way to go.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes that dirty feeling, thats the worst bit, and what they have taken is worth so little in proportion to the damage :(:(

superharrio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SLK 230
It is possible, using a data enabled SIM, to make your own alarm linked to a mobile phone. It could be pressure, or microswitch based using opening doors etc. The SIM is about a fiver a month, the transmitter/interface about £3-400. Sites like Omniinstuments or similar, sell the bits.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is possible, using a data enabled SIM, to make your own alarm linked to a mobile phone. It could be pressure, or microswitch based using opening doors etc. The SIM is about a fiver a month, the transmitter/interface about £3-400. Sites like Omniinstuments or similar, sell the bits.

Would gladly accept some assistance with this project, if anyone has free time. Main problem I see however is this, the car is parked in an underground car park with choppy 3G/ data at the best of times.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
W124 s are very much a target for thievery as they are highly prized on the African subcontinent and former Soviet block for their simplicity of repair and lack of proprietary electronic security measures. I would concentrate on measures which prevent whole car theft rather than just break-in if I were you. The alarm systems are not expensive but skilled reliable fitting that won't plague you with trivial triggering faults costs money but well worth it for peace of mind I'm sort of surprised your insurance co doesn't insist on this anyway?

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 s are very much a target for thievery as they are highly prized on the African subcontinent and former Soviet block for their simplicity of repair and lack of proprietary electronic security measures. I would concentrate on measures which prevent whole car theft rather than just break-in if I were you. The alarm systems are not expensive but skilled reliable fitting that won't plague you with trivial triggering faults costs money but well worth it for peace of mind I'm sort of surprised your insurance co doesn't insist on this anyway?

Thanks, my local reliable fitter, been doing installs for the last 27 years recommends AutoWatch, made in South Africa. I asked about other brands and he doesn't like them as much. Clifford, he said is a brand for 'boy racers'. Cobra is unreliable. Scorpion is old fashioned. I do take all this with a pinch of salt, he only sells AutoWatch but can get all alarm brands. £220 fitted, the install takes five-six hours! He said he doesn't 'just throw it in', but perhaps even this time estimate is a little high.

The old MB dealer fit Scorpion unit will be removed, no extra holes will be needed etc.

I'll get the MB installed window function as well included, which is nice, if passengers leave the window open. It will be a nice discrete fit too.

He said alarms need replacing every eight to 10 years.

Plus, it comes with the usual EU two year warranty. I was going to get this fitted last Friday but my wife thought it was an unnecessary expense, and then the car was broken into. She is upset as the car seat was taken, and we usually store out £800+ buggy in the boot. Thankfully it wasn't in there at the time of the break in.

Anyone have an opinion about AutoWatch?

Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom