Are, in general, merc owners political ?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
are in general mercedes owners political animals? or are most of us long in the tooth and feel better when we express our views on the strange current world arround us ? they say dog owners look like their dogs, are we merc owners expressing traditional values and owning cars which express the same ethos ?

we may be unwittingly drifting a bit away from automotive issues.

when my 13 yr. old e-300 bus was poorly some time ago, i forgot about all the ailing government we have.

may be i will feel better if my bus brakes down again ? i don't think it will, i have new bosche injectors,new oil and filter in auto box, new glow plugs, new seals and pipe on the fuel system, new hydraulic sls spheres, new MAF, new air filter, etc. i also have it soaked in waxoil and put a quarter of a litre of 2t oil in my tank every time i fill up.

much of this has come from you lot and this club forum. thankyou to everyone for that, esp. malcolm.

i will keep feeding in the politics until somone tells me to stop. it would also be nice to get more younger members involved, not to say the the older ones are not contributing and interesting. herbiemercman

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
well im trying my best to put a younger perspective on things! im sure there are a few others too. thing is that many owners that post regularly seem to be middle aged or a little more mature. to many younger owners fixing things themselves interferes with valuable pub time at weekends! thats my opinon anyhow! i was the same when i was in my 20's! now lack of work and therefore cash has changed that! its far more satisfying though when things go wrong and then when all is good again you can say to people " yes it was a bit poorly, but i fixed it myself and saved a fortune!"

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee OM642 power
I'm 28 and BrianBrian, Malcolm and number cruncher all gave me the info and encouragement to sort the ABS on a 250 diesel I bought recently. Very nice feeling not have to go to a garage with it :).

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
seems that, for now at least, we are in the minority James!

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee OM642 power
I agree :) I work as an engineer, with loads of other engineers and many of my friends are engineers, they all seem to view car maintenance as a really difficult art that one couldn't even attempt themselves. I've been doing my own easy servicing for years (oil, filter, plugs (when I have a petrol)) along with swapping out head units, speakers etc. When I was telling folk I had an ABS problem that I was hoping to sort with expertise from a Merc forum I was getting strange looks. One of my good friends paid a garage €300 for a basic service on his Audi TT, they changed the wiper blades too though. I'd be physically sick giving a garage that sort of cash for 30 mins work and €60 / €80 worth of parts.

As yet I haven't tackled suspension bits or timing belts but I reckon I may well do so in years to come.

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
Stop.

Regards,
Nick.

No, don't stop.

Its interesting hearing from the younger forum.

I wonder if as the older generation we spent our early years watching our older generation make and fix things we enjoy a the sight of a quality set of spanners rather than Becks latest tattoo.

I used to be in a gang and when I became older I left the Cubs and joined the Scouts, I still do a mean granny knot.:D

How many readers have heard of Stepp, who he was and what he commanded?

P

PanzerMcGrory

No, don't stop.

Its interesting hearing from the younger forum.

I wonder if as the older generation we spent our early years watching our older generation make and fix things we enjoy a the sight of a quality set of spanners rather than Becks latest tattoo.

I used to be in a gang and when I became older I left the Cubs and joined the Scouts, I still do a mean granny knot.:D

How many readers have heard of Stepp, who he was and what he commanded?

no not me.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>are we merc owners expressing traditional values and owning cars which express the same ethos ?

I suppose, whether we like it or not, driving an MB puts you politically opposite someone who might drive a 2CV with a save the whale sticker in the back window!

Politically, one of the odd things I find at the moment is that the life many people lead and the politics they espouse are almost diametrically opposite. Being a simple sort, I don't understand.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
Who remembers the episode of Top Gear where the 2CV was demolished??
I drive and originally purchased my Merc for safety reasons. Although that has become somewhat subsumed by pride of ownership and Marque status concerns I suppose:rolleyes:

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi nick, ( ncooper), your a man of few words. your answer is ok, it was the way i posed the question that was too brief, i should have said " i will stop when somone asks me to and explain why". herbiemercman.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
hi nick, ( ncooper), your a man of few words. your answer is ok, it was the way i posed the question that was too brief, i should have said " i will stop when somone asks me to and explain why". herbiemercman.

Just testing.
Regards,
Nick.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
if buying a Merc is a political act

and I'm sure Marx had a theory about that as well, then I must be an anarchist, as we had an Alfa-Romeo and loved it for years. Even used it as our wedding getaway-car.

I can't see there being an overtly political strand to it, but natch, to buy a new merc, you have to have a certain amount of cash, and that might not be the m.o. of your basic anarcho-syndicalist.

If you buy an old one, I think you are greener than the 2cv bunch, as they are safer cars, therefore less likely to damage their occupants.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom