Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Have a look on Youtube for videos on how to cut the seats like this one,

you don’t want to be using to much force.
Turn the cutter gently with little pressure, basically under its own weight and then a clean rag to wipe seat and inspect it.
Nice and slowly.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Have a look on Youtube for videos on how to cut the seats like this one,

you don’t want to be using to much force.
Turn the cutter gently with little pressure, basically under its own weight and then a clean rag to wipe seat and inspect it.
Nice and slowly.

I did. Followed this video exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I couldn't understand why my cutting wasn't having effect, it was here that some one pointed out that the cutter possibly wasn't reaching the flat surface. I needed to grind the shoulder off the cutter so it would decend deep enough.

But before taking photo's you need to clean the surface as it looks to me as though we are looking at some grease residue.

I use the cutter to cut below the carbon damage, and then hone with wet and dry shaped and glued on the bottom of a dowel. All with grease to hold the swarf.

Too much cutting and eventually you'll need a new head.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
I couldn't understand why my cutting wasn't having effect, it was here that some one pointed out that the cutter possibly wasn't reaching the flat surface. I needed to grind the shoulder off the cutter so it would decend deep enough.

But before taking photo's you need to clean the surface as it looks to me as though we are looking at some grease residue.

I use the cutter to cut below the carbon damage, and then hone with wet and dry shaped and glued on the bottom of a dowel. All with grease to hold the swarf.

Too much cutting and eventually you'll need a new head.

There is something we have noticed in one or two holes. It looks like there is a very small 'lip' around the outside of the seat that could potentially be stopping the cutter reaching the very bottom. We got a marker pen and stuck it on the end of a long thin screwdriver to mark the bottom of the hole. The theory was that if the cutter Was getting right down, it would scratch and remove the marks from the marker pen. Sadly, it did not appear to. I promised more photos today and I will get new ones posted.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
TBH I don't need the photo's, not sure if anyone else has desire for them.
But like you I photo the holes so i can enlarge and study on decent sized screen, to satisfy myself that I've honed the face, and can see rotational scores that will help the sealing assuming the copper washers will form round them. I guess the softer Honda washers could even improve that??

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
There was no mention of how long you spent on cleaning out the M6 stretch bolt blind tapped threaded holes?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
View attachment 50841 View attachment 50842 View attachment 50843 View attachment 50844 View attachment 50836 View attachment 50837 View attachment 50838 View attachment 50839 View attachment 50840 View attachment 50838 View attachment 50839 View attachment 50840 After having removed all 4 of my Injectors from my '55 plate C220 CDI Classic SE estate following a seal and injector bolt/holder failure (Black death situation), I am now almost ready to re install the injectors. However I have been advised that I need to re-seat all my injector holes before re installing the injectors. The attached photos show the current condition of my holes (all numbered for clarity). Can someone please advise whether these need anything more doing to them? I do not mind doing the re seating myself however funds are limited so a reasonable cheap re seating kit will be all I will get because unless I offer to help other Mercedes owners with this problem, I will not have any use for the kit after I have used it.
Oh and suffice to say, the cleanest injector shown was the one that was stuck solid in it's hole and had the worst carbon deposits around it.
UPDATE- @10:28, Just took more photos with my digital SLR. Not brilliant still but slightly better. Will borrow my girlfriend's Samsung phone next.

UPDATE - @11:02, What is it with Samsung cameras on phones?!! Why are they far superior than iPhones or even my Digital Canon EOS500D?!!! New set of photos attached.

View attachment 50828 View attachment 50829 View attachment 50830 View attachment 50831 View attachment 50832 View attachment 50833 View attachment 50834 View attachment 50828 View attachment 50829 View attachment 50830

Wot I normally do is get a round bar same dia as injector seat, end of injector, use a carbide turning tool (cutter) to scribe radial lines out from centre on the end of round bar I use fine valve grinding paste and rotate the bar in the hole. Keep cleaning the seat until it looks clean across the seat. Don't use force, be gentle. Then clean all really well. Use small amounts of paste, don't block hole for injector tip. When poss I use the lathe to make the dummy shaft near same as injector incl nossle end.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom