Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You may need to buy a magnet too

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
ecp parts

Hi those parts are , seal £ 7.60 / filter £ 10.10 from merc main dealer correct parts, make sure you get what you ask for at ECP, Oh! and as TV says get a new magnet.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Does the magnet wear out?

OP
S

shaggy

Hi those parts are , seal £ 7.60 / filter £ 10.10 from merc main dealer correct parts, make sure you get what you ask for at ECP, Oh! and as TV says get a new magnet.

not worth buying from anywhere else then really I will order from Mercedes:D
You may need to buy a magnet too
Does the magnet wear out?

will I need a new magnet or are they cheap enough to change anyway?
thanks for the replies guys:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do have the exact date somewhere when the magnets were introduced, around 2000 sometime off hand

I will try and find it

OP
S

shaggy

I do have the exact date somewhere when the magnets were introduced, around 2000 sometime off hand

I will try and find it
cheers
also I have been reading about the gearbox's on the 210 and came across this post by you mate :D
And it is known that the switch can operate ok but nothing happens as the dolly in the switch sticks in the or W mode, it is an easy fix to lift out the dolly,, You can test this when facing uphill. In the W or C mode the car should not roll back, in the S mode it will or should

I have w & s and my switch is on the s
but.......
today while waiting for my mates electric gates to open I stopped on the hill they are on and the car stood still
I thought I had hill start assist or something:rolleyes::confused:
so is my "dolly" stuck?
where is my "dolly"
cheers mate:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is by the gear shift in the center

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
is it the switch w & s ?
is it simples to get to?
cheers Mr TV :D

Depending on the hill your car will either stand still or creep forward in S. It tends to stand still all the time in W. In fact on some hills toggling between W and S you can control the car stopping and starting as conditions dictate.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Depending on the hill your car will either stand still or creep forward in S. It tends to stand still all the time in W. In fact on some hills toggling between W and S you can control the car stopping and starting as conditions dictate.

I hope you do not mind me saying that it is more to do with the rolling back bit here, in W it cannot roll back , in S it can

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
As above, is S mode the car is in 1st and on a steep incline it will roll back, flick to W and it will hold its position

OP
S

shaggy

I will be finding a suitable hill tomorrow :D

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
You will also need a dipstick with the plastic diamond shaped stopper. Not all ebay items have that bit fitted. Without it you are guessing. Check before you click to buy.

A laser temperature gauge. To check the oil temp. is at 80 when dipping. You will wait a long time to get it to 80, I never succeeded above 70. (I actually wonder if they meant 80 as in engine temp.)

8 litres ATF(minimum) brands of either MB, Fuchs Titan 4134 or Febi, to do a complete change, including the torque converter.

2 copper washers for the banjo fitting.

Rags, to mop up.

A sump plug washer, or anneal the original over a gas flame.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Curious about your difficulty in reaching 80c, when I had my atf changed at PCS it only took a short time for STAR to register temp reached. Perhaps there is a significant difference between where STAR measures oil temp and where your laser temp measures?

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Curious about your difficulty in reaching 80c, when I had my atf changed at PCS it only took a short time for STAR to register temp reached. Perhaps there is a significant difference between where STAR measures oil temp and where your laser temp measures?
Yes, very strange. When I point the laser at the water pump it reads 87. The oil cooler around 89,top rad 85, gearbox sump 68. Bell housing 70.

There is no way the ATF in the sump will hit 80 even after a long drive.

Maybe STAR is showing the engine temp at 80 and maybe the procedure on the dipstick is to take the engine temp at 80?

Tomorrow, a guy who works with me has a C220, he is not interested in forums, but he has agreed to do an experiment with the gearbox temp. I will let you know the outcome. I am more curious than you about this.

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can't get the gearbox temp to reach 80c. I have driven it hard to no avil.

It showed overfilled at 70c so I syphoned off 200ml. It now reads at the top mark at 70c.

Pictures of the syphoning. I have given up.

Attachments

• drain 1.jpg
    drain 1.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 16
  • drain 2.jpg
    drain 2.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 16
  • drain 3.jpg
    drain 3.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 16

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could it be that STAR is reading the engine temp at 80c ? I do not think that there is a temperature sender unit in the gearbox?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom