Are they scrapping old cars or selling them on?

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
hi everyone, does anyone know if the scheme's caviat is based on the old trade in car actually being crushed / scrapped, no spare parts taken off etc. ?

i ask this as if you take notice on the age and condition of many cars, superb examples, you see each day (in lancashire not hartfordshire), then it just keeps reminding you how un green ,wastfull and insulting this idea is.

you are made to feel by some of the current media adverts, fed by the government, just after the swine flue adverts, that you are some kind of second class citizen. i hope the traffic cops have not been briefed to start kicking our tyres etc ? herbiemercman.

popuptoaster

Reaction score
has to be scrapped by law, as far as i know there are no parts of the UK scheme designed to allow parts to be removed, some other countries allow parts to be rescued from rarer vehicles, but there is a time limit and a lot of paperwork involved so you need a cooperative dealer if you happen to spot one.

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
hi everyone, does anyone know if the scheme's caviat is based on the old trade in car actually being crushed / scrapped, no spare parts taken off etc. ?

i ask this as if you take notice on the age and condition of many cars, superb examples, you see each day (in lancashire not hartfordshire), then it just keeps reminding you how un green ,wastfull and insulting this idea is.

you are made to feel by some of the current media adverts, fed by the government, just after the swine flue adverts, that you are some kind of second class citizen. i hope the traffic cops have not been briefed to start kicking our tyres etc ? herbiemercman.

the "green" side of the idea is just utterly stupid (but totally to be expected from the current bunch of daydreamers in office).

But from the point of view of stimulating car sales - I can understand where they're coming from - it'll inject cash not only to the stuggling manufacturers (who employee a lot of people), but also their suppliers (who employee a lot of people), the copmanies who supply the suppliers (who employee a lot of people), and the companies who support the people who work at all these various companies. Thus keeping a lot, lot, lot of people in work, and buying things.

All of which means the gubbermint gets lots of lovely tax to pay back their borrowing*.

* HA , yeah like that will ever happen... :roll:

Gurmot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate
I went to see my local VW dealer today to explore options for cashing in on my C220 and also to see if I should / could trade in my 1993 MX5 to get the £2k. I was dealing with the branch manager and he was totally unclear on how to proceed and said that VW had still not officially signed up to the idea.

I had the impression that the government's announcement came as something of a surprise to most dealers / manufacturers and that the details have some way to go before Jo Public can actually use it.

OP
HERBIEMERCMAN

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i think the whole idea is a political farce, we all know from experience long before the government and bankers robbed us that you could get massive discounts off new cars for cash, this meant your old car was worth nothing unless you sold it privately.

my neighbour has just bought a new hyundi 4x4 £39k, they gave his wife a new small car.

with reference to keeping people in jobs, will woolworths start selling cars? the fact is if we are making too many cars then you cannot throw money at it, or scrap perfectly good cars. there is massive overcapacity in car production and ever less roads to drive them on.

we used to have butter mountains and wheat being burned in the past to prop up the prices, it's corupt politics, they will come unstuck short termism always does. herbiemercman.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
i think the whole idea is a political farce, we all know from experience long before the government and bankers robbed us that you could get massive discounts off new cars for cash, this meant your old car was worth nothing unless you sold it privately.

my neighbour has just bought a new hyundi 4x4 £39k, they gave his wife a new small car.

with reference to keeping people in jobs, will woolworths start selling cars? the fact is if we are making too many cars then you cannot throw money at it, or scrap perfectly good cars. there is massive overcapacity in car production and ever less roads to drive them on.

we used to have butter mountains and wheat being burned in the past to prop up the prices, it's corupt politics, they will come unstuck short termism always does. herbiemercman.
Hyundi for £39k...what a bad way to spend £39k.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
has to be scrapped by law, as far as i know there are no parts of the UK scheme designed to allow parts to be removed, some other countries allow parts to be rescued from rarer vehicles, but there is a time limit and a lot of paperwork involved so you need a cooperative dealer if you happen to spot one.

Wherever there are human beings, when ever someone creates a rule, there will be a surge of wise guys keen to find a loophole, or to use it to their advantage.

I guess the pivotal point here might be that there is nothing really to define "what is a car" - so it is feasible that you could strip out non essential but attractive items and then offer the car for scrappage.

Obvious bits would be radios, CD changers, sound systems, car phone kits, floor mats. Furry dice and air fresheners might well command a premium?

Spare wheel (many unused, + their tyre - collect 4 and you have a set), the list gets longer as your imagination gears up. No dealer has ever asked me to show proof of service history, so the odds of them checking a car diligently would be less.

This could become a real sport, with lots of e-bay selling, which would of course reduce the prices, and the point of so doing. But it would not stop people from trying to make a fast, or even quite a slow buck.

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Lateral thinking is good.

So my:-
- 10 year old, 30,000 mile 600SL which is still well within its 200,000+ working life is only worth 2k to crush
- 5 year old, 180,000 mile Mundano Euroblob, worth peanuts, which cannot be part of the scrappage scheme. Although there are better cash deals out there without the part-ex option.

ricky s

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as signature
I went to see my local VW dealer today to explore options for cashing in on my C220 and also to see if I should / could trade in my 1993 MX5 to get the £2k. I was dealing with the branch manager and he was totally unclear on how to proceed and said that VW had still not officially signed up to the idea.

I had the impression that the government's announcement came as something of a surprise to most dealers / manufacturers and that the details have some way to go before Jo Public can actually use it.

Just placed a deposit/order for a new SLK, last week, the Mercedes dealership (Eastbourne) was still unclear to their position with this scarppage issure untill the 18th apparently, awaiting to see if wifeys C200 sport gets sold or scrapped, and if scrapped I will be visiting the local scrap yard for some wheels, and wheel trims, and removing the AMG alloys, they will blatantly will not get crushed!

tony2311

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203/2002/270cdi
the scheme will only work on low price cars that offer very little discount normally like the skoda fabia or the toyota argo. i am looking to get a fabia 1 with air con if i can get it to £6000ish i will be happy. fingers cross the dealer know what they are doing

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom