As I moved out of the reach of the idiot that tried to punch me....

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
.....(continuing from the title)...

My foot came off the brake pedal and I rolling into the back of a Landrover.

I need a new front grill.
Merc SL 350 2009

Plenty on ebay for £100 after market ones.

Has anyone got any experience of these products? Any tips? Opinions?
Many thanks
Mark

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Road rage then Mark ? :oops: What rattled him then.:D

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
There I was thinking about a nice boxing / martial arts move and a counter punch......so disappointed but sorry about the damage. Might have been cheaper to take one for the car......:)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I believe @SmartAmg has experience of third party grilles.
Our 230 (ex Malcolm aka television) has a third party grille and it seems ok.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Yep, got my grill of fleabay, no problems at all and was a good fit. :)

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go if I can get one for the 2008 style front.

Yep, road rage. Apparently when one is driving at the speed limit that can anger some people.

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Quick question: Do are large three pointed stars separate and the replacement grills just fit over the existing star? The grill I have found has no star.
Thanks
Mark

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Quick question: Do are large three pointed stars separate and the replacement grills just fit over the existing star? The grill I have found has no star.
Thanks
Mark
If the star has any smart stuff in it, be wary of aftermarket grilles. Apparently there can be alignment issues (radar ??)

OP
sausage

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Thanks Roryquin.

Update: Yes, use the existing star on my car.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Thanks
Mark
When I bought mine I had to purchase the start separately but from the same supplier.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go if I can get one for the 2008 style front.

Yep, road rage. Apparently when one is driving at the speed limit that can anger some people.
That annoys the hell out me esp considering now there are avg speed cameras eveywhere.
Thats why I love cruise control. I always set it to the limit and it infuriates me when you have some mong flying up behind you pestering you to get out the way or move faster.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
That annoys the hell out me esp considering now there are avg speed cameras eveywhere.
Thats why I love cruise control. I always set it to the limit and it infuriates me when you have some mong flying up behind you pestering you to get out the way or move faster.
Why don’t you simply let them pass? As a good and responsible driver, you will have no doubt been checking your rearview mirrors and seen them approaching.;):)

It could be an emergency!

Nothing worse than being stuck behind a car on cc doing 70mph, passing another car on cc doing 69.5mph. Both drivers staring at their fuel economy gauge instead of checking the rearview mirrors.
It is not safe for any of the 3 cars involved and causes a lot of the congestion we see.

It is not our job to force other people not to speed.

I watch my reaview mirrors and move over well in time to let them past (I don’t care about the reason why they are going faster than me). Rather have them gone

I suspect that a lot of cc users are not 100% confident on how to use them (e.g. my wife never uses hers) and once they get the cc set they don’t want to reset the cc.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Why don’t you simply let them pass? As a good and responsible driver, you will have no doubt been checking your rearview mirrors and seen them approaching.;):)

It could be an emergency!

Nothing worse than being stuck behind a car on cc doing 70mph, passing another car on cc doing 69.5mph. Both drivers staring at their fuel economy gauge instead of checking the rearview mirrors.
It is not safe for any of the 3 cars involved and causes a lot of the congestion we see.

It is not our job to force other people not to speed.

I watch my reaview mirrors and move over well in time to let them past (I don’t care about the reason why they are going faster than me). Rather have them gone

I suspect that a lot of cc users are not 100% confident on how to use them (e.g. my wife never uses hers) and once they get the cc set they don’t want to reset the cc.
The OP could have been on a two lane road...otherwise I would agree with you.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That is exactly my attitude. I use my cruise control everywhere whether it be 20mph right through to 70mph. The law is the law !. If these young scrotes don’t have respect for the speed limits, they are there for a very good reason, they just have to wait behind me, if they feel they have to do some death defying stunt to get by me let them get on with it that’s their decision. All I ask is that they don’t place me in danger me while carrying out their stunts :rolleyes:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The OP could have been on a two lane road...otherwise I would agree with you
Agreed - however, I was not referring to the op but a comment further down & generalising:).

Many slow drivers seem to think that it is their right & duty to slow down faster cars. I like them (faster cars) to be on their way.

I was taught that I should avoid doing anything that causes other road users to have to change speed or direction (regardless as to whether or not they are obeying the road rules).

I recall travelling on the I15 (Vegas to San Diego) and my wife deciding to block an 18 wheeler changing lanes because she had “the right of way” . I yelled at her to give way as the 18 wheeler wasn’t going to.

Completely out of character for her. I’ve still not worked out what was going on that day.

Too many accidents could actually have been avoided.

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
That is exactly my attitude. I use my cruise control everywhere whether it be 20mph right through to 70mph. The law is the law !. If these young scrotes don’t have respect for the speed limits, they are there for a very good reason, they just have to wait behind me, if they feel they have to do some death defying stunt to get by me let them get on with it that’s their decision. All I ask is that they don’t place me in danger me while carrying out their stunts :rolleyes:
AJ - how would you feel if (because you were blocking him) that ‘scrote' illegally passed you and hit a pedestrian?

You were actually in control of the situation and hypothetically, had you let him pass, the pedestrian would have been fine. Scrote may or may not care but for the rest of your life, you will be thinking “if only”......

As long as you are blocking them, you are putting yourself in exactly the position that you do not want to be in (at risk).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AJ - how would you feel if (because you were blocking him) that ‘scrote' illegally passed you and hit a pedestrian?

You were actually in control of the situation and hypothetically, had you let him pass, the pedestrian would have been fine. Scrote may or may not care but for the rest of your life, you will be thinking “if only”......

As long as you are blocking them, you are putting yourself in exactly the position that you do not want to be in (at risk).
I am not sure ‘Blocking’ him is the correct term to use. I am just not prepared to break the law because he/she is trying to put me under pressure to speed up. To keep to the left of the carriage way, of course I would if it was safe to do so.

I am just saying that I am not prepared to allow these idiots to push me around so they can put me and everybody else at risk through their bad driving. I know it is a lot to ask but they must learn that their behaviour is not acceptable :(

With the advent of Dash Cams you would have thought that they would think twice about the way they were driving :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I am not sure ‘Blocking’ him is the correct term to use. I am just not prepared to break the law because he/she is trying to put me under pressure to speed up. To keep to the left of the carriage way, of course I would if it was safe to do so.

I am just saying that I am not prepared to allow these idiots to push me around so they can put me and everybody else at risk through their bad driving. I know it is a lot to ask but they must learn that their behaviour is not acceptable :(

With the advent of Dash Cams you would have thought that they would think twice about the way they were driving :rolleyes:
AJ - deflecting a bit from the gist of the point I was making.

Your role on the road is not to monitor / police / control the behaviour of other motorists and it could lead to unintended consequences.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom