Assigning a Private Plate to a new (to me) Purchase

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I have already put my private plate on retention.
On Monday I am viewing a Vito in London, it has a private plate the seller wants to keep.

The GOV website says I've to wait for the new V5 prior to transferring my number to the Vito.

To streamline things, and to avoid the insurance double handling I propose,

assuming the Vito is desired,
for the seller to place his private number on retention 'online',
to use the sellers V5 to apply my number to the Vito 'online',
then complete the purchase.
Next would be to inform my insurance of the change of vehicle but same registration.

I'm not sure I could then tax online if the DVLA aren't up to date with the changes,
but until the seller cancels the tax for his refund it would still show as taxed on APNR.
The seller is losing February tax anyway so no, loss to him.

Then drive 200 miles home.

Feasible or not?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Seller needs to wait until he gets his new V5 with the non personal plate on. If he doesn’t then technically you can have his personal plate...
I’d speak to your insurance, as long as you change the plate within 60days there shouldn’t be a cost. (There wasn’t for mine, and I’ve done it loads of times).
I’d wait to get the V5 in your name because if it all goes pear shaped you could lose your plate.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom