ATF change

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Draining the 3 litres from the torque converter was fine, repeating the procedure twice more seemed a bit overkill to me and would have cost an additional £70 in fluid, so I did not go this far.

I agree..
If you have drained the ATF conventionally AND drained the torque convertor then thats good enough..

Multiple drainings are for when the torque convertor hasnt been drained.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
On this thread we do not know if a 5g or 7 g, where as a 7g will have a drain plug the 5g will not.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
On this thread we do not know if a 5g or 7 g, where as a 7g will have a drain plug the 5g will not.

I think regardless of which box......this Thread and an earlier Thread suggest to me that the OP either cannot afford or does not want to afford what is necessary to run a car cost effectively over time. Concho comes over to me as having a mind set of ''penny wise pound foolish''.
As Corned said......use your local guy and discover in time just how ''cheap'' he is.
No offence intended but I do not understand the questioning behind these Threads.

Mic

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I think regardless of which box......this Thread and an earlier Thread suggest to me that the OP either cannot afford or does not want to afford what is necessary to run a car cost effectively over time. Concho comes over to me as having a mind set of ''penny wise pound foolish''.
As Corned said......use your local guy and discover in time just how ''cheap'' he is.
No offence intended but I do not understand the questioning behind these Threads.

Mic

I think though that some just pay out in ignorance of what they actually get for their money - a stamped up service book, & maybe the OP feels that, in general, he doesn't want to get ripped off ......

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde

Mic

That's certainly the same 'vibe' I'm picking up too. Not for the first time either. There's bangernomics and then there's this. This just smacks of someone who can't afford to run a car - period.

£20 or £30 buys neither the materials nor the time on their own, never mind in total. Presumably any fluids required will come from the nearest tap, and the filters will be washed out in the same tap water and put back on the car.

And this coming from a Yorkshireman at that - and yes, the famous parsimony has infused to maxiumum effect right the way through me! But you wouldn't catch me trying to pull these kinds of stunts.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
1+ for that, i've just got all the parts from Merc Lincoln for £120 and my tame mechanic is going to charge me 2 hours labour at £26 per hour even though he will be having the car from this evening untill tomorrow evening (letting it drain over night and doing a full service and replace all 4 tires tomorrow). now my guy isn't an expert on mers so has had a good read through the how to's on here to do the AFT he is confident and says its a very simple thing to do as long as its done in the correct order and everything is kept nice and clean.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think regardless of which box......this Thread and an earlier Thread suggest to me that the OP either cannot afford or does not want to afford what is necessary to run a car cost effectively over time.

I don't really get the same impression - after all, basic servicing on a Mercedes is pretty simple. I think I've mentioned before that my daughter's VW was serviced by a VW dealer for £68 - as it was on a VW service contract. If you pay cash, they charge literally double that. So which would you rather pay, £68 or £139?

If you didn't know any different, you'd think changing the ATF was the same as changing the oil on a manual box. However now it's been explained to the OP that it's a lot more involved than that (to do it properly).

Having said that, I got mine done at an MB dealership and, I can't really put my finger on it, but there's sometimes an uncertainty on downshifts and reverse to forward changes that just wasn't there before. I wish I'd left it alone.

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Having said that, I got mine done at an MB dealership and, I can't really put my finger on it, but there's sometimes an uncertainty on downshifts and reverse to forward changes that just wasn't there before. I wish I'd left it alone.
You need to dip it to check the level is correct. The boy who done it may have got it wrong.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
£155!!?? How much for full oil change? :)

Sorry mate , where is your garage?and do u work on Saturdays? What time is your garage open?
Thanks!

Thats for the 722.6 box. The 7G 722.9 is £195. Yes I do open saturdays but by appointment only.

Last edited:

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
if you ever do it yourself...

remember these words, above anything...

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, CLEAN..... :cool:

I'd personally go to a good indie if I wasn't mechanically competent to work on my own vehicles.

Steve sounds like a very reasonable price for a job that can be a pig ( no one has mentioned that the alu' screws can snap off in the very soft magnesium housing....

fancy drilling them out incorrectly ? ;)

I'm still not sure what box' we are talking about, 5g or 7g ? totally different measurements required due to the design.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
I'm still not sure what box' we are talking about, 5g or 7g ? totally different measurements required due to the design.

isnt the 209 220cdi fitted with a 722.699

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom