ATF leak.

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
My SLK320 has developed a very slow ATF leak. It collects at the rear of the auto transmission (722.618) pan and drops about one drip a day onto my (once) nice clean block driveway.

My local indie and I have examined the area closely but the source is not immediately obvious. Since the transmission pan was obviously contaminated we decided to clean things off and replace the pan gasket, and this did seem to have stopped the leak for a few days. However, I found a new drip on the drive again today. Probably just cleaning the affected area meant the leak needed a little while to build up enough to become evident again.

Can anyone suggest any points on this transmission with known history of leaks that I should check?

Any help much appreciated.

racall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class and slk
It will proberly be the electric plug on the gearbox (common problem)

OP
antijam

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
It will proberly be the electric plug on the gearbox (common problem)

Yes, this was my indies immediate suggestion too. he was a bit surprised to find it as dry as a bone!

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Most common problem is the central electrics connector seals as mentioned above. They can leak either internally or externally. Usually its an external leak where the 2 silicone seals fail and the leak developes. The internal leak capilliaries the oil up the loom and floods the gearbox control unit.

Its unusual and rare for a pan gasket to leak to be honest.

The other failure is the bushing seal at the rear of the transmission housing just above the tail shaft to the left as you're looking at it from the rear of the gearbox. Takes 1.9 hours to replace plus the cost of the part.

Hope this helps.

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
the electrics ''plug' on my 210 was weeping (as above comments). It was very minor but changed it anyway. Cured my problem - the rubber seal was going.

OP
antijam

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Just to update:- my leak was finally diagnosed last week as coming from the gear selector shaft - the bushing seal as Hertfordshire Merx suggested, so thanks HM.

The seal was replaced today by my ever-obliging local Indy, Robin Lamb in Gloucester.
I bought my car just over a year ago (18/07/2008) with a one year RAC warranty, so nothing ventured nothing gained, I checked last week with the warranty provider if the work would be covered. (I was slightly dubious as seals are not always covered by aftermarket warranties). No problem apparently, the garage does the work and bills the provider direct, so one happy customer! (Especially as at the time the work was actually done, the warranty had expired!)

Assuming the leak is actually cured, and that the RAC cough up the necessaries, I have a result - excellent!

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
A liberal dose of cat litter might remove the oil stains from your driveway.

OP
antijam

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
A liberal dose of cat litter might remove the oil stains from your driveway.

Well thanks for that wireman - I'll go and pinch some off the cat and give it a try. It's not too bad because as soon as I noticed the spots I used a drip tray under the car; but if I get rid of the stains at least I'll be able to tell when the next leak starts! ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Engine cleaner works well on drive ways,,just do it when its not raining,,use an old paint brush to work it in and hose off

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom