ATF specs please

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi all,
Can I ask what the recommended top spec is of ATF fluid for (in my case) C270 CDI W203 ?
I ask because I may well consider some other stuff of the correct spec.
After all Mercedes dont make Oils !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The latest is 236.14

Mobil ATF134 , Shell ATF134, fuchs titan ATF 4134

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey that was quick Malcolm..
Thank you very much for that..
Am I correct in thinking as long as the spec is high enough it doesnt matter who makes it?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is correct, it is the spec that is important. we have had a few members saying that this new one is hard to get hold of,and that many MB dealers are still selling the older 236.12 fluid as they must get rid of their old stocks first

lulu

Reaction score
My local MB dealer was trying to flog the older 236.10 stuff. Check the part numbers before parting with your cash!

Fuchs dont even bring their 236.14 spec ATF into the UK.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your replies...
I shall search for the top spec stuff soon..

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Hi all,
Can I ask what the recommended top spec is of ATF fluid for (in my case) C270 CDI W203 ?
I ask because I may well consider some other stuff of the correct spec.
After all Mercedes dont make Oils !

When Mercedes designed their new 7g gearbox who do you think decided on the spec of the fluid to be used in it ?

a. Mercedes

OR

b. a fluid company ?

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes dont make engine oil or ATF fliud.
Therefore you are not "obliged" to keep spending inflated prices on bottles of lubricants with the biblical word "MERCEDES" written on.
Its your money so do what makes you sleep better.
Personally I sleep better with a fat wallet !:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes dont make engine oil or ATF fliud.
Therefore you are not "obliged" to keep spending inflated prices on bottles of lubricants with the biblical word "MERCEDES" written on.
Its your money so do what makes you sleep better.
Personally I sleep better with a fat wallet !:D

Best not to keep it all in a wallet,if you loose it its all gone,,if you just stuff the money in your pocket,then if loose bits of it, then no heart ache as you did not know how much was there in the first place :rolleyes:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
if your gearbox suffers a short life you won't have a fat wallet either.

"for a hapeth of tar........"

124coupe

Reaction score
This subject goes round and round....

Just visit your dealer, supply your VIN and walk out with a for-your-car service products print out - it lists the fluids meeting the specs needed by YOUR vehicle and you can buy and use any of them safe in the knowledge they meet the manufacturer's spec.

For instance, the ATF list for my E280CDI includes the 3 branded items listed by Malcolm at the top of this thread....(not that I can actually use them as Merc removed the filler tube but that's by-the-by).

If they resist giving you the list its because they noticed the "tap" in your wallet pocket where they have been removing blood in the shape of small bottles with "Mercedes" on the side (the Mercedes brand being added for them by the fluid OEM).

Given that Mobil, Shell and Fuchs re-sell the SAME .14 fluid, hazard a guess at where Merc get it for re-sale?

124coupe

Reaction score
if your gearbox suffers a short life you won't have a fat wallet either.

"for a hapeth of tar........"

Do you have any evidence to suggest that Merc-labelled .14 is in any way different from the others on the approved list?

If you take Mobil .14 with you and have MB fit it, they cannot duck any subsequent issues at is meets/exceeds THEIR published spec.

Its interesting that Merc have recently dramatically lowered their price-per-litre for engine oil used during a service - my local did this as they didn't like the growing number of cars arriving with Mobil1 ex-Costco in the boot taking away ALL their oil margin. (we are fortunate that accounting rules strongly encourage itemised bills so we can see what is being charged per item....)

Last edited:
OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Do you have any evidence to suggest that Merc-labelled .14 is in any way different from the others on the approved list?

If you take Mobil .14 with you and have MB fit it, they cannot duck any subsequent issues at is meets/exceeds THEIR published spec.

Its interesting that Merc have recently dramatically lowered their price-per-litre for engine oil used during a service - my local did this as they didn't like the growing number of cars arriving with Mobil1 ex-Costco in the boot taking away ALL their oil margin. (we are fortunate that accounting rules strongly encourage itemised bills so we can see what is being charged per item....)

Here, here... I totally agree !
Ironically I just bought some MB ATF fluid and its the "Old" 236.10 spec stuff.
I definitely wish I had bought none MB stuff now..
I shall re change it for non MB ATF within 2 weeks !!
I think tonight I shall sleep well tonight safe in that knowledge !:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here, here... I totally agree !
Ironically I just bought some MB ATF fluid and its the "Old" 236.10 spec stuff.
I definitely wish I had bought none MB stuff now..
I shall re change it for non MB ATF within 2 weeks !!
I think tonight I shall sleep well tonight safe in that knowledge !:D

Why not suck it all out when you get home,,and put it back the next day,, you could use 236.10 one day and 236.14 the next and give us some feedback

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why not suck it all out when you get home,,and put it back the next day,, you could use 236.10 one day and 236.14 the next and give us some feedback

I am reading your reply again and again and I am still not sure if your being sarcastic or serious...:?:

lulu

Reaction score
Meet him, then you'll know!

(You didn't buy the old stuff after my post No.5 in this thread , did you?)

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
errr I'm afraid I did....
:(
I shall just consider it a rather expensive flush through !

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
If all you care about is spec and not price or brand then there is this stuff.... I have used Comma engine oil before and it has been good stuff, but I don't know if I would personally put it in my MB auto box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMMA-MULTI-V...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item414936f6e1

I have got myself some Febi stuff for when I do my box oil change, it is the same stuff as in the link below. The container is the exact same shape as the MB bottle. I have been told that Febi are owened by Fuchs and they are the ones supplying MB. I would not be supprised at all if the MB oil is the Febi stuff with a different sticker on the bottle.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-App-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item19b735c23b

On a side note I was trying to get my hands on some 236.14 stuff, and no where seems to sell it bar MB. I contacted opie oils to see if they can source Fuchs 4131 and they said Fuchs are out of stock in the UK at the mo and will only sell in 20l anyway. I am useing the 236.12 in my box when I change it.

Top Bottom