Audio 20 Stereo

Sarah Garratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor 2007 Covertible
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and slightly thick when it comes to techinal aspects of cars.

I have an audio 20 in my CLK 2007 model mercedes and wondered,

1. If i wanted to add a CD changer, is it expensive? and how do i go about doing it? i have a cd holder. Is there wiring already in the car to add a CD changer or will it need rewiring?
2. is there a way i can play MP3 cds or even add an aux lead?
3. Is it easier to get an aftermarket stereo? if so, will they connect to my steering controls?

I have a viseeo bluetooth in the car but this doesnt allow you to play music through it is only for phone calls. As the wiring is already in place for this, is there a better bluetooth system i can use that will allow me to play music from me phone?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. I too am not good at technical issues on cars but there are plenty on here who are :)

OP
Sarah Garratt

Sarah Garratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Andy for the welcome :)

That is what i am hoping..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome. There are several on here who have replaced their head unit with Android based after market units with great success. Hopefully one will be along shortly (@GLK, @V6Matty)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Hate to say it Alistair but wasn't me that changed the head unit, I did add a Parrot mki9000 to my audio20 on the 211 and have since moved it to the 169 for the wife (although has since stopped working so I need to check it connections again) I've not done a replacement head unit. Certainy GLK changed his along with @Naraic and @M80

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hate to say it Alistair but wasn't me that changed the head unit, I did add a Parrot mki9000 to my audio20 on the 211 and have since moved it to the 169 for the wife (although has since stopped working so I need to check it connections again) I've not done a replacement head unit. Certainy GLK changed his along with @Naraic and @M80
Failing memory - must be getting old....
It was indeed M80!

OP
Sarah Garratt

Sarah Garratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys.

I just hate having to use standard cds. I'd settle for mp3 cds but my car only had the cd holder.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I have a Pioneer in my old W210, Plays anything, plenty of connectivity and sounds better.

It's not hard to fit and some can even keep the steering controls.

In some cases, can be cheaper than installing upgraded MB options

OP
Sarah Garratt

Sarah Garratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I w
I have a Pioneer in my old W210, Plays anything, plenty of connectivity and sounds better.

It's not hard to fit and some can even keep the steering controls.

In some cases, can be cheaper than installing upgraded MB options

I would like to keep steering controls. Can you recommend one? X

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Sarah, and welcome! :)

I have indeed replaced my Audio 20 with a model-specific aftermarket Android unit (and spent half a day today putting some finishing touches to the updated interior).

I actually had an mp3-capable CDC, but still wanted a modern system. The unit I fitted (Erisin ES6982B) plays Apple m4a audio files directly, so I don't need to convert from iTunes into mp3 anymore - brilliant.

With your setup (Audio 20 NTG2 and UHI on MOST) you might not even had an auxiliary input - enabled head unit (unless there's a 3.5mm jack/socket in the glovebox), in which case a cheaper option of AUX cable and bluetooth adapter will not work. If you do have an AUX port, or if your Audio 20 is capable of supporting this feature, then you can get a ready-made bluetooth/aux setup, for about £30; or with a little DIY, put it together yourself for a tenner (that's what I had, before replacing the Audio 20).

The next option, is to look at some aftermarket head units. Ideally, you'd want a model-cpecific one, so no cascading frames (a pet hate of mine), and full utilisation of the available space.
Spec-wise: Octa-Core, 2GB RAM, 32GB NAND.
Latest units will work with all the steering wheel controls and pretty much plug and play.
There are two basic types now: one that looks like a COMAND unit; and the all-screen 9" ones.

I went for the latter, as my interior is anything but OEM now, so no point pretending the head unit is ;)

I bought it from the UK Erisin shop on eBay, so the warranty, support, returns, etc all UK-based.
Just had a quick search, and they have 46 results for CLK, so you'll have some choice, should you decide to go that route.

fitting in progress:
35760816223_311a6bdc3c_o.jpg

all done:
37348152642_1a121b8dec_o.jpg

I'd be happy to help with any questions you might have.

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I'm with LK and GLK on this,
ditch the original unit and replace with an aftermarket. If you buy Chinese you will be amazed at what you get for the money. The reliability can be a little suspect, but they are warranted.

GLK I've had a quick look and can only see 7" quad core units, have you seen the 9" available?

Anyway as said pretty much plug and play, steering controls operational, with an excellent sat nav, AM / FM, many many gigs of media storage, blue tooth, and wi fi to download any apps you would like. They will run on 3g if you like that. A bit more involved is connecting up for reverse camera, dash camera into the unit and an external microphone is an improvement. None of that is expensive.
You could do with confirming that your sound system isn't Harman Kardon with the separate amp.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Martin, I didn't go through all the models, just saw a good selection, at least without specifying the exact CLK (I see different shapes, looking like NTG 1/2/2.5).

Hopefully, even with Sarah's particular model, there will be some choice still.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom