1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto stop/start

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Winter15, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Winter15

Winter15 New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    B180 CDI
    Hello,
    Since car (B180 CDI manual 2014) was bought I have experienced a particular behaviour of the car after an eco start (when you re-start the engine depressing the clutch from an eco stop). The gearbox is manual. Normally the car accelerates swiftly from a complete stop and the acceleration is smooth. However, after an eco start, the engine becomes momentarily slow to respond (this is variable) and the acceleration after 1sec is followed by some loss of power (? lag) and it feels like a very bumpy start at times. The way I can avoid this is to depress the accelerator more than usual allowing the engine to increase sufficient RPM and to release clutch slower than usual. I do wonder if this is something that anyone else has experienced as I was told by dealer it is a characteristic of the car.
    It seems odd though why driver has to adapt around this and besides have not seen that written anywhere in the manual or forum.
    I presume the automatic gearbox must be different.
    Just to emphasise I do not think there is something wrong with the engine itself as acceleration and running of the motor is fine otherwise. Also no electronic codes/errors detected after testing at dealer's.
    I would appreciate your advice.

2. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    i wonder if theres a software update on these? i know dads old Focus had stop/start and its certainly something he would have mentioned to me if he had experienced it.

3. rhud

rhud Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
    May just be the way the OP is using the stop-start function.

My method in slow-moving traffic or at traffic lights (W169 A-Class):

Brake/clutch in/manual gearstick to neutral/handbrake on/clutch out.

To re-start:

Clutch in/engine re-starts/gearstick to 1st/handbrake off/accelerate away.

Works flawlessly.