Auto Transmission Problem on 270 CDi

Mat995

Reaction score
Hi, my 270 CDi does something strange occasionally. A quick depression of the gas pedal sometimes causes the transmission to disengage completely. Instead of changing down it effectively goes into neutral and you are left travelling at speed with the engine revving. Moving the gear selector into neutral and then back into D re-enables the transmission and you then have power again. Any ideas as to the cause of this problem? Has anyone else seen this problem?

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
It is probably the electro hydraulic plate (valve block) inside the transmission causing the problem, this can be replaced with the gearbox in situ.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is not a common problem, but possibly the plate, a test on STAR may reveal all

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
we should also remember that worn drive train mountings and worn gear linkage bushes can cause similar shifting into neutral, i would be checking these first.

matt995, is there any obvious slack in the gearchange linkage, felt as a 'clonk' in the hand when moving from P,R,N,D etc?

Evanso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E CLASS 270 2003 AVANTEGARDE AUTO
I am also having gear change problems with my E 270 w211, its not finishing off gears, i have changed oil and filter but nochange

benz27

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180
Have you had chance to check the gear oil level, thats where i'd start, regards

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you had chance to check the gear oil level, thats where i'd start, regards (benzservicecentre.co.uk)

Hello young man and welcome

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Hi, my 270 CDi does something strange occasionally. A quick depression of the gas pedal sometimes causes the transmission to disengage completely. Instead of changing down it effectively goes into neutral and you are left travelling at speed with the engine revving. Moving the gear selector into neutral and then back into D re-enables the transmission and you then have power again. Any ideas as to the cause of this problem? Has anyone else seen this problem?

This sounds very familiar indeed :rolleyes:

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=80719

Does this occur when the car is warm in particular? Or, maybe on an incline?

And, if for instace you didn't drop it into N and then D would it regain drive after a few seconds?

You say it's when you accelerate, would you say it's like a prolonged slip between gears as in my thread??

Dave

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Gosh I'm 'Tupid!

I've followed the post #7 never noticed the original post date :Oops:

Top Bottom