Auto transmission sometimes not changing gear.

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
For the last couple weeks my car hasnt been shifting gear property.
the following happens intermittently.
1. Drive car. Gears shift normally.
2. last week whilst driving, the gear some times stays in gear and wont auto shift up or down.
3 On one occasion whilst at lights the car wouldnt even move off and just revved. I had to put car in park switch off the switch back on again and jt was ok. A couple hours later it did the exact same thing.
4 yesterday I was driving again and the car seemed to go into limp home mode. I had to pull over and restart. the was fine again.

I have a guy coming round tonight to check for any error codes. we shall see what the dealio is. its 2007 estate 7G box only has 21000 miles on the clock. serviced regularly although I dont think the gear box has been serviced. ..

im not lmfao at the moment.

OP
L

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
error code

error code is PO717 Y3/8N1
Turbine speed sensor
Tech told me that he can do the work ie replace parts but then he will have to take it to merc to put software on the unit. He says its an expensive job either way. Better take it to Merc. I will post an update to the cost later. car is booked in for next Friday :(

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
. car is booked in for next Friday :(

Isn`t there a local independent garage that can do the work for you as it should save you a couple of ££££

Kenny

OP
L

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
Isn`t there a local independent garage that can do the work for you as it should save you a couple of ££££

Kenny

Well the guy that came round today is supposed to be the "dogs B...X according to my independent mechanic, and he was very knowledgeable. He told me he can do the work, but he would need to get the parts from Merc and then when he puts the new components on, the system will essentially reset. The car would then be un drivable, he would then need to tow it to Mercedes so that they can reprogram the unit. he said he could possibly save me a couple hundred pounds but for the hassle I could get it sorted quicker at Mercedes. He also commented on my mileage saying that a car with only 21k on the clock shouldn't be doing this and that I should complain, im not one for complaining to be honest and its no longer under warranty. We shall see..

Chee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240/2004/2.6 & S350 CDI/2012
Wow, only 21k on a 2007 S211. Very nice, wish mine is such a low miler.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Well the guy that came round today is supposed to be the "dogs B...X according to my independent mechanic, and he was very knowledgeable. He told me he can do the work, but he would need to get the parts from Merc and then when he puts the new components on, the system will essentially reset. The car would then be un drivable, he would then need to tow it to Mercedes so that they can reprogram the unit. he said he could possibly save me a couple hundred pounds but for the hassle I could get it sorted quicker at Mercedes. He also commented on my mileage saying that a car with only 21k on the clock shouldn't be doing this and that I should complain, im not one for complaining to be honest and its no longer under warranty. We shall see..

Yes your transmission will need to be recoded...
DONT GO TO MB of PETERBOROUGH..My 4 day turnaround job (including getting parts from Germany) has taken over 4 weeks!!
Generally I would say either a good indy (With STAR with connection to MB) or yes a DECENT MB dealership.
Normally the process is only expensive to your wallet.. NOT your soul !!

OP
L

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
Well I'm sure when I part with the cash my soul will be shattered.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It might be worthwhile talking to a good MB dealer and see if they will contact MB head office with regard to some goodwill towards repairs due to your low mileage..failing that some good indies on here if any are local to you.

OP
L

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have a few days until I am supposed to go to the Merc Dealership (friday). My indi did ask for my VIN at the weekend so maybe he will price it up today (monday) I would prefer to go with him as he is reccomended but either way the car has to go back to the "mother ship" for the software install.
wird though, I drove it all over the place this weekend. No problems. I just dont want it breaking down with the Mrs at the whell and the kids in the back.

OP
L

lmfao

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280 S211 2007 Diesel
My indy priced it up at 1110+vat ouch
For this money I get.
New Conductor Plate - £250
Gear box serviced (oil Filters etc) - part of the job (sundries extra oil filters gaskets etc)
Towed to mercedes - additional cost
Mercedes then need to put software on - additional cost
Car comes back in two days

Not sure how much merc would charge as they told me on the phone that even though I have the fault code, they would still have to diagnose for themselves and this will cost me £120. If I choose to do the work with Merc then they will take the £120 off the bill. My car is booked to go to the Independant tomorrow morning.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom