Autobox help

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
Folks

I have a problem with my box and am a little confused.

Over the weekend i had a trip to london 500 mile round trip. on the way down got stuck in the M25 traffic and it was serious traffic and was stuck in it for 3 hours at crwaling pace. The temp normally sits at 80C however during this time was at 90C.

The problem I have now is when I select R then back to D its harsh. However when the car has been parked up and go from park to D its smooth and no issue. Normally the gear changes are smooth and not harsh at all.

The car is a 1996 C250 TD with 145k miles on it. Ive had the gear oil changed at MB in Bradford at 142k but they didnt change the oil from the torque convertor so only 4 Ltrs were changed. Am wondering if this would make a major difference or not??

I have bought a new thermostate and Rad cap and coolent so all those are getting changed tomorrow and see if the temp goes of 80C again. I dont think the fan kicked in either so most likely going to need to change the thermo coupling i think??

Any help/thoughts are welcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nothing wrong with 90c on a warm day or in traffic.

A 1996 car will have a drain plug on the converter

OP
H

haroonz7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD Auto, BMW M3 CSL, Honda Integra Type R DC-2
is it worth changing the torque converter Malc?? Would it help the issue do you think??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
is it worth changing the torque converter Malc?? Would it help the issue do you think??

If it has only ever had ½ changed,,it can only do good to have the full change 75% say that their changes are much smoother after a full change

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
I 2nd what advice malcom has given you, but do not know why mercedes did not drain atf from torque converter its only an extra 10minutes and extra atf, if your gear changes are harsh after changing atf completly including torque converter,I would check the vacuum on the g/box ,doughnut,propshaft and any movement at rear sub-frame. Hope this helps

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom