Automatic box - gear change

Eric4

Reaction score
My car is a C180 kompressor 2006. When starting it revs to about 1200 then drops back to 1000 idlling and down to about 800 when I select drive. Is that normal to rev quite so fast when initially started? I would think a more 'gentle' tick-over? Is it better practice to wait for the revs to fall off or select drive and 'force' them down?
When being driven from startup, lets say about once or twice a week, it does not change up! Is this possibly low oil or something more sinister, like a 'control card' in the box?
Are 1 & 2 the 'same problem'......Thanks for your time....cya

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
on a cold start 1200 revs are normal, its to warm up the engine faster, you may wait a minute if you want to for the revs to come slightly down but thats normal on a cold start. also on a cold start it may delay shifting to second gear but should still shift up eventually again, I have a w203 as well, so on a cold day and cold start it won't shift to second in a parking lot, while i am going slowly whereas normally it would stay in second but as soon as I get on the road it will. you should nevertheless check the gearbox oil level if you have never done so, and any history of gearbox service, if not might be a good time to change its oil.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Start the engine, give it a few seconds to get going, and then drive off.

OP
E

Eric4

Reaction score
on a cold start 1200 revs are normal, its to warm up the engine faster, you may wait a minute if you want to for the revs to come slightly down but thats normal on a cold start. also on a cold start it may delay shifting to second gear but should still shift up eventually again, I have a w203 as well, so on a cold day and cold start it won't shift to second in a parking lot, while i am going slowly whereas normally it would stay in second but as soon as I get on the road it will. you should nevertheless check the gearbox oil level if you have never done so, and any history of gearbox service, if not might be a good time to change its oil.
Thanks for your reply......I'll follow up advice.....cya

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
If you have the option of going up hill or down hill when starting off on cold mornings, take the downhill option.

The 'box is much more willing to change-up when lightly loaded... If you 're going uphill, it will want to stay in the lower gear.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
The auto boxes hold the lower gear in order to warm up quicker , it is much more noticeable in the cold when it holds low gears much longer . If you set the gearbox to S or C does it make a difference , because the C setting starts off in 2nd .
But as above check the ATF level and Merc recommend ATF oil and filter change at 37500 miles . A lot of members here keep up that regular change . £200 ATF service verses £4000 gearbox :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom