1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic gearbox problem

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by RhysMT, May 26, 2017.

1. RhysMT

RhysMT New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    A170 SE CVT Automatic 2006
    Hi,
    I've got a 2006 A170 that sometimes won't select drive (if I'm stopped) or slips out of drive into neutral at low speed - has anyone have an idea what is happening, and if it will be expensive to fix?

Thanks in advance,

Rhys

2. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Assuming this is a proper automatic and not the semi automatic 2 pedal manual gearbox it could be low pressure in the gearbox hydraulic system. How many miles has it done and when was the last transmission oil and filter change?

3. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    smart EQ fortwo 2020 Prime Exclusive
    It's a CVT Alastair - they dropped the silly clutchless box with the end of W168.

Rhys, it is most likely what LostKiwi said above - get the ATF and filter changed, and check your service book - it was supposed to be done at 37.5k miles or 4 years.

I was advised to do the transmission oil change every 35-40k miles (same year, same CVT as yours), rather than just once at the mileage above - I had the first one done recently and am going to follow this advice.

Also, when you start from cold, do not shift into gear, until RPM drops below 1000 - this is from Des (aka Forrera) - he does almost exclusively W168 / W169 and has a wealth of knowledge on these models.