Aux out on early Comand head unit?

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I've just bought a 2003 R230 SL350 which is fitted with a Comand unit which has an Aux button it and there s a cable which comes out in the centre armrest which has an iphone connector, 3.5mm male jack plug and USB socket. I've tried putting a USB stick in and connecting my phone by both the USB and 3.5mm plug having selected Aux but try nothing appears to be happening, the USB stick doesn't flash and the music comes straight out of my phone rather than the stereo.
It's quite possible this lead set up is an after market job as there's also a Parrot bluetooth fitted to the car.
I assume the other end s connected to the Comand unit, does anyone have any idea as to why this lead isn't functioning or failing that how do I get the Comand unit out to see f it is actually connected?
Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have a look Inthe glovebox. Right hand side there may be a female 3.5mm jack.
I've put a Bluetooth connection on ours and play music through that.

If you need to remove the Comand unit the lower sides of the console need to be removed. This exposes some screws that hold down the centre console veneer (or aluminium cladding depending on trim. This needs to be removed and the bolts for the head unit are underneath.

Last edited:
OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Have a look Inthe glovebox. Right hand side there may be a female 3.5mm jack.
I've put a Bluetooth connection on ours and play music through that.

If you need to remove the Comand unit the lower sides of the console need to be removed. This exposes some screws that hold down the centre console veneer (or aluminium cladding depending on trim. This needs to be removed and the bolts for the head unit are underneath.

I'd fitted an Android head unit to my S4, sadly it was vehicle specific, much like the shape of that in the 230 so I couldn't just swap it over but thinking it might be easier to replace the OEM unit with an Android touch screen. Sadly the only one I can find that's a direct replacement is from the US so much dearer than here especially when I know they'll sting me on duty etc.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'd fitted an Android head unit to my S4, sadly it was vehicle specific, much like the shape of that in the 230 so I couldn't just swap it over but thinking it might be easier to replace the OEM unit with an Android touch screen. Sadly the only one I can find that's a direct replacement is from the US so much dearer than here especially when I know they'll sting me on duty etc.
Depending on your config the Comand unit should have TV, 2 x A/V in and 1 x Aux in.
You can easily add DAB using the A/V in:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/CK-O_DAB2011-V2-TS.html

You can add digital tv via the other AV in (or a reversing camera)

If you have Telephone (look in the upper section of the armrest for a holder) an MBU3000 will give you bluetooth handsfree:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Viseeo-Mbu...CEDES-Car-Kit-Follower-of-Mbu-1000/1517718131

Alternatively pick up an old Nokia 6310 and fit a PAYG sim to it and when you get in the car redirect all your calls to that phone.

If you have the Aux-in in the glovebox then a 3.5mm jack from the headphone socket of your phone (if you have one) is all you need or you can also go bluetooth with one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074Z24XQZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In terms of aftermarket head units there is sod all about.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Depending on your config the Comand unit should have TV, 2 x A/V in and 1 x Aux in.
You can easily add DAB using the A/V in:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/CK-O_DAB2011-V2-TS.html
You can add digital tv via the other AV in (or a reversing camera)

If you have Telephone (look in the upper section of the armrest for a holder) an MBU3000 will give you bluetooth handsfree:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Viseeo-Mbu...CEDES-Car-Kit-Follower-of-Mbu-1000/1517718131

Alternatively pick up an old Nokia 6310 and fit a PAYG sim to it and when you get in the car redirect all your calls to that phone.

If you have the Aux-in in the glovebox then a 3.5mm jack from the headphone socket of your phone (if you have one) is all you need or you can also go bluetooth with one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074Z24XQZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In terms of aftermarket head units there is sod all about.
I need to investigate more as there's a phone holder in the centre arm rest, a telephone button on the Comand unit and phone buttons on the steering wheel. Despite all this a previous owner has fitted a Parrot hands free kit?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need to investigate more as there's a phone holder in the centre arm rest, a telephone button on the Comand unit and phone buttons on the steering wheel. Despite all this a previous owner has fitted a Parrot hands free kit?
He may not have known about the MBU3000 or perhaps didn't get on with it if he did. Parrot is also a cheaper option.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
He may not have known about the MBU3000 or perhaps didn't get on with it if he did. Parrot is also a cheaper option.
I'm not a fan of having random bits adorning the dash, even as small as they are, so if I can get the built in system to work it would be preferable That said I guess the MB phone is hardwired rather than bluetooth hence the need to find an old Nokia phone?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes hardwired in the armrest cubby box. The Viseeo pretends to be a 6310 as far as the car is concerned but allows s Bluetooth connection from any phone so acts like a gateway.
That Dab unit is invisible - you put it behind the dash and control it via a remote control you can keep in the centre console. Same with TV. Externally you wouldnt know they were there.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Yes hardwired in the armrest cubby box. The Viseeo pretends to be a 6310 as far as the car is concerned but allows s Bluetooth connection from any phone so acts like a gateway.
That Dab unit is invisible - you put it behind the dash and control it via a remote control you can keep in the centre console. Same with TV. Externally you wouldnt know they were there.

Thanks for the links, the Viseeo is shown as sold out at the moment but there may be other sellers but just thinking out loud so to speak one of the few after market options appears to be this one which is very similar in function to that which I had in the S4. I'm not sure if it's a straight plug and play, I don't have Bose or even a CD changer? - https://www.seicane.com/android-gps...-camera-steering-wheel-control-usb-sd-s018817

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I Fancied a CLK, bought an SL350
hi, I'm trawling the forum to suss out all this connectivity business,
my recent purchase has an aftermarket DAB aerial stuck on me window screen, me is wondering if the previous owner took out any interface items, my radio reception and choice is shocking, i cant see any, behind the head unit??
is there a way if seeing connected items via the comand head unit, really want DAB in me ears....
other than that anyone recommend something to install....all i know thus far is i have V5 sat nav version, SL350 '56

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
hi, I'm trawling the forum to suss out all this connectivity business,
my recent purchase has an aftermarket DAB aerial stuck on me window screen, me is wondering if the previous owner took out any interface items, my radio reception and choice is shocking, i cant see any, behind the head unit??
is there a way if seeing connected items via the comand head unit, really want DAB in me ears....
other than that anyone recommend something to install....all i know thus far is i have V5 sat nav version, SL350 '56

post a picture of the comand / head unit

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
image.jpeg This is mine Botus.......what you thinking?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
sounds like at some point it had dension kit (or a copy of). USB wouldn't be there for any other reasons.

if the car was std (there would never be a USB... not in cars till 2007 and not in many Merc's till 2010)…. there was an aftermarket "official ipod kit" for older cars... it would use the aux - so maybe the 3.5 mm is not connected (or vice versa)

try an old 30 pin ipod
move input to aux
and toggle instrument display to ipod…..
phone hang up, to bring up ipod menus.
up, down to move,
OK for yes,

this OLD kit will not display ANYTHING in comand and is not navigable by comand (speedo and steering wheel only) the good bit is sound quality is tip top (including .wav rather than the joke that is mp3) but possibly its a bit quiet, (an official £25 Merc in line amp can wind it up to normal on any other than S class with NTG unit).

you can add a viseeo / bovee tune2air device and make it Bluetooth streaming
and on the UHI you could add a viseeo MB-3 MB-4 MB-4+ or the merc version and make the phone go Bluetooth

Other than that dension for crazy money or fiscon for less.... I just added a fiscon on my father's merc with a head unit that looks very similar to yours. Quite impressed with sound quality. He never had any inbuilt telephony and I added this and media streaming using Bluetooth via the fibre optic loop

http://www.fiscon-mobile.com/products/pro_mercedes.php

Last edited:

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found an aftermarket adapter in the centre console, has usb, 3.5 socket, iPod 30pin fly lead, trouble is when I connect any device to any port, switch the switch on it to active, it ends up closing the head unit after about 10 seconds, I don't get option to select aux connection on the head unit, scuppered thus far....:confused:

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well wOuld you look at that.
MultiCD changer would not work after loading 5 cd's, having removed panels and the changer (to manually retrieve the discs) found the power and optic's routed into a "Denison" module tucked in.
No idea how this works, and there's another module this is connected to, must be a Denison too?
So.....have I got iPod and DAB functionality some how......blooming hope so......
Will have more play time on Friday

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Well wOuld you look at that.
MultiCD changer would not work after loading 5 cd's, having removed panels and the changer (to manually retrieve the discs) found the power and optic's routed into a "Denison" module tucked in.
No idea how this works, and there's another module this is connected to, must be a Denison too?
So.....have I got iPod and DAB functionality some how......blooming hope so......
Will have more play time on Friday

sounds strange

if the dension is in there I would have expected that the multichanger is not even connected (particularly if you have two dension boxes of tricks)… unless it got dual MOST - in which case u are very lucky. Maybe the multichanger is taking down the dension due to fault.... could try linking it out and see what comes alive... also might be good to flash its firmware ( probably never been done)

https://www.dension.co.uk/

support page at the bottom has manuals and firmware

https://www.dension.com/files/products/gateway_500s_bt/dension_gateway_500s_bt_manual_en-v4.pdf

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What does Denison do that a bluetooth adapter combined with a smartphone doesn't?

Last edited:

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sounds strange

if the dension is in there I would have expected that the multichanger is not even connected (particularly if you have two dension boxes of tricks)… unless it got dual MOST - in which case u are very lucky. Maybe the multichanger is taking down the dension due to fault.... could try linking it out and see what comes alive... also might be good to flash its firmware ( probably never been done)

https://www.dension.co.uk/

support page at the bottom has manuals and firmware

https://www.dension.com/files/products/gateway_500s_bt/dension_gateway_500s_bt_manual_en-v4.pdf
Thanks Botus.
Oops, I didn't quite detail correctly, when I said optics routed I should have said, dam.......power cable cut off to CDC and used to power Denison kit and , fibre optics plugged into Denison.

Monkey Wrench

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
things are looking up....a little bit
Previous owner installed I the Denison 500S and DAB Extender Device
reading the user guide, i can see the device on me head unit, under the guise of the CDC......yeepee!
I can play a usb thumb drive.......double yeepee! although excitement was thrashing the speakers....
I can see the DAB Radio as a source......but no more yeepee's for now, cannot get past this display to see any stations..boooo!

Drove out for a bit to see if i was in a bad signal area, nope, no change
hitting the scan button merely scans for sources, and "settings" doesnt do anything either.
Thinking of plugging in a different aerial as no way of testing the cable
Any thoughts anyone?
Experiencing Kerfuffleness at the mo :confused:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
What does Denison do that a bluetooth adapter combined with a smartphone doesn't?

displays what's playing / menu structure and navigation via comand and steering wheel buttons as if its all original fit Mercedes

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom