Auxilliary Radiator...True or False?

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi Everyone,
I have bought a March 2003 C270 CDI which hopefully I shall take delivery of within the next few days..
At the time of purchase one of the conditions I laid down with the garage was to triple check the Radiator to see if it had the later BEHR one on or the earlier crappy Valeo unit..
When I asked him to replace the RAD he commented that "he had sold hundreds of C class Mercs, and he had never heard of the Auto box becoming knackered due to coolant contamination"..
Obviously I took his comments with a pinch of salt....
I mentioned this forum and the fact that its a well known issue..
He said he would check up on the Radiator type........
Today I phoned him and he said "It doesn't need a radiator as it has an auxilliary oil cooler in front of the main radiator"

To be fair I did notice this when I was poking about under the bonnet..
If you open the bonnet this small Radiator is situated at the lower left part of the main Rad.. I would say its about 9 or 10" wide by 6 or 7" in height..

So what I want to know is am I being spun a yarn?? How would I know if this small rad is indeed for the transmission fluid..
Has anyone heard of or seen this setup befor??

I await your learned replies with interest..

Thank you all,

Simon

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that Malcom..
So what do you recon the small Radiator is for then?
Is it conceivable its allready been modded?
As I said before it sits on the lower left of the main Radiator (as you face the engine).. It is located in front of the main Radiator (next to the Grill)..
When I get the car I will post a photo (If I find out how to post photos)..

Thanks again,

Simon

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Hi Malcolm,

I think we went round this when Mrs E got her W203 C270, I'll check again in the am, but I'm pretty sure that item 22 is the g'box oil cooler.

I'll trace the pipes to be sure..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Malcolm,

I think we went round this when Mrs E got her W203 C270, I'll check again in the am, but I'm pretty sure that item 22 is the g'box oil cooler.

Thank you very much,, will pleased if you will check:D

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi RPE2 and thanks for your input..
I await your "tracings" with interest...
I am starting to think this garage is fobbing me off..
I will get a second opinion when I actually pick the car up..
Cant wait to get it.. It seemed so very comfortable .. I regularly travel from near Blackpool to Southampton to see my old man... I usually have a numb bum when I get there (278 miles).. I Have a feeling I will be sorry the journey is over from now on..

Excuse me rambling on .. I have just mixed myself a rather large 12 year old whiskey and its "wopped" my head..

I think I better finish now Ha-ha

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That feeling of getting a decent car last for a long time with an MB after 2½ years with mine, it was so nice to drive out today, it was as nice if not better than the first day that I got it. Most of us feel this way :D:D

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcom for your help with my various posts...
I read somewhere that Merc owners are amongst the most Brand loyal people there are..
I think Apple computer owners were rated almost as "Brand Loyal"..

I restore stringed instruments for a living ( Violins , Cellos and Violas) and some are very old and very valuable.. Therefor I really love quality items.. Whether it be Cameras, HiFi or of course cars..
I love the fact that MB are built and not thrown together..

Sorry I am rambling on again..

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcom for your help with my various posts...
I read somewhere that Merc owners are amongst the most Brand loyal people there are..
I think Apple computer owners were rated almost as "Brand Loyal"..

I restore stringed instruments for a living ( Violins , Cellos and Violas) and some are very old and very valuable.. Therefor I really love quality items.. Whether it be Cameras, HiFi or of course cars..
I love the fact that MB are built and not thrown together..

Sorry I am rambling on again..

Simon

Thats an interesting occupation, one of my friends here restores guitars. The support in my violin that I had under the bridge came loose, and someone fixed it, that was 60 years ago, I do not know how they fixed it ?

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Hi RPE2 and thanks for your input..
I await your "tracings" with interest...
I am starting to think this garage is fobbing me off..
I will get a second opinion when I actually pick the car up..
Cant wait to get it.. It seemed so very comfortable .. I regularly travel from near Blackpool to Southampton to see my old man... I usually have a numb bum when I get there (278 miles).. I Have a feeling I will be sorry the journey is over from now on..

Excuse me rambling on .. I have just mixed myself a rather large 12 year old whiskey and its "wopped" my head..

I think I better finish now Ha-ha
I currently have a 270CDI in my place if you want to drop by and have a look. Yes there is an aux cooler in the car I have here.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi malcom...
The "support" you mention is called a "Sound Post".
To fit a new sound post or to re-errect the original one we use a tool called a "sound Post Setter"..
I have done this job for over 30 years and so the act of replacing the sound post looks deceptively easy..
We once had a school visit and I was rather rotten because I asked the Lady music teacher to replace a pre fitted sound post...
Poor thing.. She got very Red and flustered and could not do it..
I have to say I felt rotten because the school kids were all laughing at her..
Some instruments are many thousands of pounds and can be 250 years old or more.. So when fitting / adjusting the sound Post you have to be careful not to damage the f hole (Those are the S shaped sound holes either side of the bridge).

On a different note (ha-ha) can someone tell me how I put an Avatar under my name??

Thanks again..

Simon

P.S If Y'all want to see me then type Violin shop Blackpool into Google..

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi malcom...
The "support" you mention is called a "Sound Post".
The fit a new sound post or to re-errect the original one we use a tool called a "sound Post Setter"..
I have done this job for over 30 years and so the act of replacing the sound post looks deceptively easy..
We once had a school visit and I was rather rotten because I asked the Lady music teacher to replace a pre fitted sound post...
Poor thing.. She got very Red and flustered and could not do it..
I have to say I felt rotten because the school kids were all laughing at her..
Some instruments are many thousands of pounds and can be 250 years old or more.. So you have to be careful not to damage the f hole (Those are the S shaped sound holes either side of the bridge).

On a different note (ha-ha) can someone tell me how I put an Avatar under my name??

Thanks again..

Simon

P.S If Y'all want to see me then type Violin shop Blackpool into Google..

Thanks I forgot the name "sound post" :D I have not played since 1950 when I found a more lucrative fiddle

You need 30 post to have a picture,etc

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you very much,, will pleased if you will check:D

I've had a look, and it must be an oil cooler as the pipes are only clipped onto it. The pipes disappear under the engine cover above the steering pump, so will either be g'box or steering oil. Mother-in-law's C220CDI also has this cooler.

Perhaps IBW can shed some light on it?

There is also a single pipe that goes across infront of all of these coolers.

There is a MB TSB on here somewhere with the affected chassis no's (I vaguely recall that the C270 was unaffected)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,

Last night I looked at the rad removal instructions, just remove the 2 pipes for water separate the air con rad and lift out, So no oil cooler on that sheet

Went to gearbox and cooler and nothing about the rad on that sheet either
Yet the valeo test and check paper sits in the middle of.

Something wrong with WIS and nothing to worry about on these 203 cars

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last night I looked at the rad removal instructions, just remove the 2 pipes for water separate the air con rad and lift out, So no oil cooler on that sheet

Went to gearbox and cooler and nothing about the rad on that sheet either
Yet the valeo test and check paper sits in the middle of.

Something wrong with WIS and nothing to worry about on these 203 cars

I have a fancy that this oil cooler doesn't exist on 111/271 engines, and this is where the Valeo issue comes into play. I'll do a bit more digging.

Here are the affected models according to an earlier post from Olly -http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41764&highlight=glycol

Model series 203 up to production date 9/2003 with M111/271/112/OM646/OM611/612.990 and automatic transmission 722.6
Model series 209 up to production date 9/2003 with M271/112/113/OM612 and automatic transmission 722.6

Model series 211 up to production date 9/2003 with M271/113/OM628/647/648 and automatic transmission 722.6

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The car here is a C270 cdi, there are only 2 versions the, 016 and the 216 both of these cars have the 612 engine that is not part of the valeo problem.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wunderbar,

Sounds like Simon can enjoy some Valeo free motoring.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A little bit more careful checking this could have all been avoided, but a little more learnt, and thanks rpe2 for making me do that :D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom