• I usually buy a round amount e.g. £25

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
This is nothing against you so please dont take it that way...but it really annoys me when I hear drivers rattle the pump nozzle in their tank to shake off any drips.
It just sounds so amateurish! :oops:
Just for the record it also annoys me when drivers pull up a conventional handbrake without pressing the button first.

Guilty on all counts!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Brimming your tank is the only accurate way to work out fuel consumption for those that wish to do so, and this always requires carrying on after the "first click"
In fact the first click is no guarantee that your tank is filled to the same level that it was the last time because other factors can come into play which will cause the fuel to blow back and cut off the pump...flow rate for example.
I have used pumps that frequently cause the fuel delivery to cut off during a fill up...it is most annoying!

Trying to get the exact monetary value can be important if paying by cash, because it is much preferable to hand over the correct amount of notes rather than receive up to 99p in change.
Then of course there is the OCD factor as mentioned earlier. :geek:
I’ve also used pumps that click off at the wrong point however I always know roughly how much fuel I need and will simply reset the nozzle in the filler hole and continue if the tank is not close to full.

But if the tank is a liter to two under-filled, I really do not care. It is not like I’m in the middle of the Simpson desert and cannot get more (where I did run out of fuel - due to long detours (from the planned route after unexpected & massive rainfall for the first time in 20 years). Luckily a friend had a huge reserve tank.

Over the miles done during the ownership of the vehicle, I doubt that topping to the very brim vs going to the first click (averaged out) is going to make a difference to accuracy of the mpg to any variance that actually matters. Brings to mind the "law of diminishing returns”.

However to those OCD enough to worry about it, enjoy!!:)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
It is not like I’m in the middle of the Simpson desert
The first image that popped into my head when I read that. :D
I may be OCD, but I am also young at heart with a juvenile sense of humour. :p
simpsons.jpg

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
When I used to do big miles, in my E class, I filled up twice a week to the brim so £80-£90
now I’m not traveling as much, I just plug in at home now for £1.30
not been to a forecourt since February, got to say I don’t miss them one bit.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Had to do a full talk recently on the motorway, £138 for an almost empty tank in the 212, well at least work was paying and not me lol

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I always fill mine up. I'm driving a bit more now that i've been in Ireland for while.. FML, if I was only throwing in £25 at a time, i'd be at the pumps every few days :'(

I have a 4.2 Supercharged Petrol Range Rover coming on stream soon with a 100litre tank. I don't know what i'll do with it. Probably just start it and sit in it for a while then go back inside :eek:

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Just paid £111.38 to fill up! WTF???

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
FML? I’m not in wiv da kidz, whatsit mean?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Well, FMS is F Me Sideways, I can’t work out the L..?

T5R+

Reaction score
Always brim unless on very rare occasion get caught out on the motorway.

When I used to do big miles, in my E class, I filled up twice a week to the brim so £80-£90

Sounds very familiar. Great motorway cars though.

Just paid £111.38 to fill up! WTF???

There was a time many years ago that I was actually embarrassed to go to the kiosk and ask for a reset after the first £100 "click out".

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I was putting £500 a week in my car when I used to 'commute' from Warwickshire to Halewood, the car of choice was a Jag' XKR...........

Reactions: DSK

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I was putting £500 a week in my car when I used to 'commute' from Warwickshire to Halewood, the car of choice was a Jag' XKR...........
How many weeks a year did you do that?
Based on the ratio of what I spend on fuel at the moment compared with my weekly wage, I would need to be paid around £11k per week to make that worthwhile for me. :D

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
I was on an 'emergency' resourcing project and was up 5-6 times a week for a couple of months before dropping down to 'only' 2-3 times a week for about a year - my fuel bill dropped to a mere £150-£230 or so a week then ;)

Fortunately the employer was paying and it was actually quite 'profitable' as got 45p/mile on expenses and no running costs on the car for me as it was a company car. I actually got less 'profit' when I switched to a 4.4d Range Rover Sport due to the much lower ppm rate allowance on that,

They were a bit surprised when I had my second set of tyres fitted and returned the car with about 26k miles on it after about ten months......

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom