B150 Starter/Ignition Issues

W

wilbo

Hi All,

We have a B150 Petrol/Manual which has recently developed an intermittent starting fault. When turning the key round to the point of ignition you would sometimes here a "grinding" noise coming from the engine (Sounded to me like the starter was spinning but not shooting forward). If you stopped, then tried again it would normally start fine. The grinding could happen 3 or 4 times before starting (10 is the record!) or sometimes not at all.

After calling the local Merc Dealer and explaining the issues they were sure it was the starter and gave me a price to replace it. When I recovered from the dealer price I called up the guys at Prestige Car Service and booked it in there to have the starter changed. On the morning of getting the work done the car did its "grinding thing" to one of the guys at the garage and he thought it was the starter too.

All was fine for a week, then the problem started to creep back again. Very intermittently and becoming more apparent now. I've had the starter replaced (went for the more expensive replacement too), had the battery checked under load and to make sure the alternator is ok, and changed the batteries in the ignition keys - just out of desperation more than anything! When the grinding happens the dash lights up as normal, no obvious signs of any problem and no faults reported. Once the car has started all is fine.

Not sure where to go now. The guys at Prestige have offered to take it back to check the Earthing but I can't see how that could cause such an intermittent problem. And the problem is intermittent so the idea of taking it to my local merc dealer for them to try and find it brings me out in a rash!

Any advice much appreciated - Thanks! :)

Cheers
Wilbo

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Without actually hearing this noise it is hard to comment, but has the ring gear been inspected for damage?
And was the outgoing starter teted before returning it for the surcharge?

OP
W

wilbo

Hi Alex

Thanks for your reply.

I dont think the ring gear was inspected for damage. However, would I be right in assuming that if the ring gear had stopped with a damaged section next to the starter cog then the starter would never be able to turn it from that point?

Not sure about the outgoing starter either :Oops:. Ill ask the guys but as it was so intermittent they could have been there all day without seeing the fault.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Thanks
Wilbo

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is certainly possible for a ring gear to do this, but usually the reported noise is more extreme - loud grating and gnashing, sounds very bad!

OP
W

wilbo

It's certainly not a nice noise, it is loud and "gnashing" is quite an apt description. Ill try to get a capture of the sound next time it happens.

If it was down to the ring gear i assume these are difficult/expensive to replace?

Thanks again!
Wilbo

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, it is a big job to change!

OP
W

wilbo

Bit of an update:

Problem didnt occur for a week or so then it refused to start at all one afternoon. Constant spinning/grinding when trying to start, every time for at least 10 turns of the key.

But, I then managed to get it started after removing the key from the ignition, putting it back in and turning again. Fired up first time:confused:

Could I be looking at a faulty ignition switch here? We have tried using both keys we have and intermittently get the fault when using either.

Cheers
Wilbo

Top Bottom