Back box delete

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
The previous owner of my Coupé changed the rear exhaust exit pipes on the car from the standard oval to a twin pipe arrangement, chopping them just behind the rear box and welding in said twin pipes.

See picture below of modification.

IMG_3368 (1).JPG

I've never liked them and had decided to revert to the standard finish fitment/look.

I was all set to get this done until I saw on Youtube a video where, a young fella had cut out and deleted the back boxes too on his Coupé, but maintained the oval exit pipes, although these were marginally larger than standard.

It looked a lot simpler to do and he said, "it sounded better too".

Now tbh the video sound quality wasn't the greatest and the before and after videos didn't sound all that different to me. That's not the problem though as, I'd be happier if there wasn't that much difference to the sound levels, a little louder wouldn't bother me, but, I don't want it to be too loud or OTT.

Has anyone else done this mod or, personally witnessed one which had been done?

I don't want to spoil the sound of my car which despite the modification, still sounds very good, it's quiet at low revs with just the right hint of a snarl at higher revs (around 3/4000 RPM).

Opinions and/or discussion invited.

Last edited:

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Is yours petrol or diesel (I cannot recall?)

Sounding better and diesel could be ambitious, even a V6 diesel

I had a res delete on mine and left the back cats and boxes in place. A decent x pipe makes a difference when opening flow under throttle, else it's nice and restrained

Think about that too (not sure if diesels have /need a reasonator though)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

I had a res delete on mine and left the back cats and boxes in place. A decent x pipe makes a difference when opening flow under throttle, else it's nice and restrained

No point in a X pipe on a V6.
The way an x pipe works is dependent on the V8 double pulses per bank generating negative pressure in the opposite down pipe thus aiding the removal of exhaust gases. A V6 has no double pulses.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
It may drone at certain rpm band.

My car had rear box delete when I got it, fun for start up, and tunnels, but it droned at 1200-1500 rpm..... which is normal around town range.
I had to source replacement boxes to be happy.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It's a deseasil. Same previous owner also removed the CDi badge. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It may drone at certain rpm band.

My car had rear box delete when I got it, fun for start up, and tunnels, but it droned at 1200-1500 rpm..... which is normal around town range.
I had to source replacement boxes to be happy.

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for!

If that's the case I think I'll just get new tips welded on and leave the boxes alone, thanks!

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I found this on youtube and it's about as loud as I'd want to go, if there was no drone at town or cruising speeds, it would be perfect.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
big believer in std system myself. my 01 w208 still on its origional pipes.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
big believer in std system myself. my 01 w208 still on its origional pipes.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, however the previous owner obviously liked the quad exit exhaust style and got the car converted/modified to what he liked. :(

If the standard system had still been in place I would have been quite happy to leave it alone. I'm just looking at my options on the course of action to take with the car. :geek:

If I still had the original rear tips I would most likely get them re-attached, when I discovered the set up on the youtube video I thought of asking peoples opinions to see if it was a workable solution particularly if they had, had personal experience of this set up, basically I don't want to spoil the sound from the car or waste money unnecessarily. :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, however the previous owner obviously liked the quad exit exhaust style and got the car converted/modified to what he liked. :(

If the standard system had still been in place I would have been quite happy to leave it alone. I'm just looking at my options on the course of action to take with the car. :geek:

If I still had the original rear tips I would most likely get them re-attached, when I discovered the set up on the youtube video I thought of asking peoples opinions to see if it was a workable solution particularly if they had, had personal experience of this set up, basically I don't want to spoil the sound from the car or waste money unnecessarily. :)

xactly ,most economic solutin best , objective , gas out the back ,if sounds good grand.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom