back plate and hub OR complete sub frame

BORNJOYFUL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992-3 k reg 300td , 603 engine
my back plates are really deformed on my 1992 k reg 300td.

can anyone tell me up to what year on the estste model i can seaqrch for either just the back plates or the hubs and back plates or even better to change the whle of the back sub plate.

It is rusted so much it has distorted and also very difficult now to get bnrake bits on and off etc.

I was hoping if the later models would work thye may be less rusty than my 1992 model. thanks Tania

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They are all they same and the series only ran for another 3 years after you car.

The estate back plates are not the same as on the saloon so care when ordering

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.433&CT=F&cat=15U&SID=42&SGR=045&SGN=02
The wheel bearing carrier will have to come off, in order to remove the back plate 5 in the link
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.433&CT=F&cat=15U&SID=35&SGR=075&SGN=04

This is a good link for doing it, but you do not need to touch the bearings

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124RearWheelBearing

OP
B

BORNJOYFUL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
petrol or diesel

malcolm are the sub frames\the same for diesel AND pertol thru to 1995 on the estates ?

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>This is a good link for doing it, but you do not need to touch the bearings

I'm not sure about that. If you don't touch the bearings, how do you get the backplate over the hub?

The bearing is typically damaged as the hub is withdrawn, and you end up fitting a new bearing.

I think that replacing these backplates is quite an involved job, and I would imagine some time spent carefully straightening them up will be well spent.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>This is a good link for doing it, but you do not need to touch the bearings

I'm not sure about that. If you don't touch the bearings, how do you get the backplate over the hub?

The bearing is typically damaged as the hub is withdrawn, and you end up fitting a new bearing.

I think that replacing these backplates is quite an involved job, and I would imagine some time spent carefully straightening them up will be well spent.

I think that the bearing carrier and bearing slide off quite easily, we have had 2 post on this where it has been done.

Turnipsock did the job and he was supplied with saloon parts by mistake and he removed it all again without any damage to his new bearings

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
I think that the bearing carrier and bearing slide off quite easily, we have had 2 post on this where it has been done.

Turnipsock did the job and he was supplied with saloon parts by mistake and he removed it all again without any damage to his new bearings

I think that there's very little that's easy with W124 rear bearings. The fits are; with that design of bearing they must be, must be, rather tight.

Turnipsock's post indicates that at the time the wrong backplate was identified, the bearing had not been properly tightened in place.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think that there's very little that's easy with W124 rear bearings. The fits are; with that design of bearing they must be, must be, rather tight.

Turnipsock's post indicates that at the time the wrong backplate was identified, the bearing had not been properly tightened in place.

I must agree with you that this is not for the light heated, and some quality tools and know how are needed

OP
B

BORNJOYFUL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ahem

and....can i have the novices answer a sto whether petrol and diesel estates have same back plates on the 300td?

oh and also why nios is called the e series after 1993 but mine is not-its only a 300td.
thanks t

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and....can i have the novices answer a sto whether petrol and diesel estates have same back plates on the 300td?

oh and also why nios is called the e series after 1993 but mine is not-its only a 300td.
thanks t

The back plates are the same part number, year for year and have a 210 number. early cars up to 1999 have a 124 number.

The E only refers to the saloons and all estates are TE or TD

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom