bas asr light

bluedemond

Reaction score
just bought my first merc a E200 ELEGANCE the owner says the bas asr light has come on? anyone know the implications of this?what may cause it? is it resetable? regards to all steve

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
I once hoovered my A class and somehow knocked the handbrake sensor switch (or something similar) out while being a bit over zealous around the cetral handbrake console.

My indy investigated and reset it. Not sure if it needed STAR or not as the car was already hooked up to STAR to find the dreaded MAF faults.

I learnt two things:

1. Easy with that hoover cowboy, and,
  2. A good Indy is worth their weight in gold, a setup with no scruples* could have rplaced all sorts to fix the light and I wouldn't have known any different.

*I don't mean MB Main Dealers. Do I?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The most common cause of the BAS/ASR light coming on is a fault brake light switch. They are quite cheap (about£10) and easy to replace.

They have a dual circuit, one for the brake lights and one as a position sensor for the brake pedal, so just becuase your brake lights work don't assume that it is okay.

There are other faults that may cause this but that is by far the most common.

The warning light will reset itself when the fault goes away.

There is no problem with driving the car in ther meantime you just wont get any brake assist or stability control function, which under normal driving shouldn't be an issue.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Chris above the brake light switch should solve it

OP
B

bluedemond

Reaction score
thank you to all i will investigate when it lands tonight and let you know my findings many thanks again

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
dont panic if its not an instant cure. mine took a good few weeks after replacing the switch before it stopped the light coming on when i was driving. presumably while it became a stored rather than current fault code

audi1coupe

Reaction score
One other reason for the light coming on is if the battery has been disconnected. In the owners manual you should see references to the resetting of various warning lights and controls if you remove the battery. I have a CLK and it tells me that I have to put insert the ignition key, turn to position 2 then, turn the wheel hard left and hard right before returning to centre, remove the key then reinsert, after this the BAS light should disappear. I have done this myself and it worked.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I think Low battery current is another cause of BAS light.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The above faults are for ESP rather than BAS

R

recycledjuvenile

so does anyone know where this switch is in a w202? I have travelled up the pedal and all i can see is a black switch with the number 0145450128.
Is this the switch?
My problem is if i stand on the brake pedal like an automatic and switch on the car,(its a manual BTW)all the lights go off. As soon as i come off the brake pedal, the ABS light comes on and does not go off.

If i just switch on the car without stepping on any pedals, the light does not go off at all with the other warning lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
it's in the upper reaches of the pedal

has a white plunger, black body, and white connector. If you think of the plunger as facing away from you the driver, it is between you and the pedal. it is worked by the pedal being pressed down letting the plunger out. It sits in a hole in a bracket and is fixed by a bayonet type mechanism with a lock button, which you have to press in order to half-turn it to release.
Best bet is go to the Merc dealers and get the parts bod to show you one. You might as well buy it just to rule it out. I've had three go, all at about 75,000 miles.( three separate cars)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom