BAS / ESP after tracking

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Mercedes C220 Cdi W203 2001 Auto.

Hi Guys.
about 2 months ago i got my front disc and pads changed after i noticed there was a really bad wobble when i was breaking at high speed
Also a few weeks later i had the passenger side front suspension arm changed after the garage said it was snapped, and asked me if i had hit the car or kurbed it hard (i hadnt).

Recently i noticed one of my tires was deflating and going bold on the outer edges. Because the MOT is due, i thought i would get all suspect tires changed (All 4), get them balanced and get the car tracking done.

Since i got it tracked the car started pulling to the left a little bit. I have got it re-tracked by the same garage 4 times and its continuously dragging.

Anyways, i now have two irritating warning signs.
ESP and BAS.

I noticed the ESP come on strait after the break change. Then noticed the BAS, when i had it parked on a hill and released the hand break, the same evening i had the tracking done.

I remember a while ago i had a problem with the ESP and managed to get rid of the problem by disconnecting the yaw and accelarator sensors behind the passenger seat, starting the car then reconnecting them.

I re tried that, it didnt work.

I then thought disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes would clear any faults. All it did was screw up the CD auto changer (btw does anyone know how to programe the stereo to work with it).

So today i took it to a garage with a SnapOn diagnostics machine.
It came up with the following:

Before code clear:
P1481 – Glow plug Cylinder 2
P0703 – Break Signal
C1200 – Break light switch
C1120: Electronic stability program YAW rate Sansor – N64
C1140 – Steering Angle Sensor – N49
C1142 – Electronic Stability Program ESP Lateral AccelaratorThis fault can be cleared.

After code clear:
C1120: Electronic stability program YAW rate Sansor – N64
C1140 – Steering Angle Sensor – N49
C1142 – Electronic Stability Program ESP Lateral AccelaratorThis fault can be cleared.

Anyone got any ideas?
Could it be the break switch?
could it be the steering alignment sensor?
Anything else?

Thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Before any tracking is done the steering wheel needs to be centralized on STAR or the ESP fault will come up, if it was fine before the last tracking was done, this will be the problem reading those fault codes

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Before any tracking is done the steering wheel needs to be centralized on STAR or the ESP fault will come up, if it was fine before the last tracking was done, this will be the problem reading those fault codes

Actually thinking back. Mybsteeing was at a slight angle to the right before, when it didnt have those errors.
Is their any way to do this without star?

Also i forgot to add when the BAS error came up, the cruise control died. Unfortunately i need to drive between Mancheste and Suffolk for a charit event this weekend so desperate for my CC lol

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The brake lamp switch is worth changing as this knocks out the speed signal for cc and BAS, only £12 and dead easy to fit above the brake pedal, I would do that first.

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
The brake lamp switch is worth changing as this knocks out the speed signal for cc and BAS, only £12 and dead easy to fit above the brake pedal, I would do that first.

Cool. They are in stock so will get that done today? Are their any tutorials on it? I have fiund one on a ml on youtube, could it be the same?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you get it it will be self explanatory, either a 17mm nut or a clip, I have forgotten, just take out the kick panel

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
i have bought the part. about to change it. i was doing some reading and someone mentioned you know if your switch is broken if the break lights don't come on when you press them.

mine do. should i still change it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes this has nothing to do with the actual lamps

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
television . . . again your a wealth of knowledge and a money saver. it was just that.

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
oh just remembered. For others that come across this thread...

This corrected the BAS errors. But not the esp. i presume this is something to do with the steering wheel sensor

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
hi, I was just about to set-off for an MOT test when I noticed Warning lights are on for ESP,BAS. Car is 1999 V plate C230K 5s auto. I rebuilt nearside wishbone due to it snapping off due to corrosion around the lower and next to ball joint mounting.
I replaced wishbone hub and steering knuckle. I made sure ABS sensor and connections were good. I may also need to have a tracking adjusted.
Is my first fix try: brake lamp switch that sits on the brake pedal?, about £12, can i get on mail order anywhere?
Thanks
Jon

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think somebody sells them on Ebay but you have to make sure you get the right one take it off to compare its very easy.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
EuroCar Parts stock the brake light switch. About £12 IIRC.

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Hey guys a quick update.
So the problem with the brake light sorted.

But i still had the ESP error with the slightly off aligned steering wheel.
I know television said it needs to be on a STAR but seen as i cant afford to get it done right now, i thought let me see what i can do.

So today whilst cleaning the car i decided to take the casette deck out to check for an aux.

That lead me onto removing the old nokia cradle and kit.

Which then led me onto trying to align the steering.
I totally disconnected the battery,
I took out the T30 screws
Carefully removed the airbag / horn
Removed the top black clip.
Removed the yellow clip
Removed the green clip.
Tried to removed the 10mm Alan key bolt, then gave up (dont have the parts).

I then reversed everything and put it all back.

But now i get the SRS and the ESP error.
I did the lock to lock 5 times, which hasnt made it go.

Any ideas?
The last time this happened, i took out the Lateral and Yaw sensors from the boot, started the car, turned it off then reconnected and it took the SRS away.

Should i try this again?
Alternatively (with the idea of saving money) should i purchase a Carsoft module?

p.s. does this have any affect on the speed of the car? it seems to pick up a lot quicker or am i imagining things?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The adjustment should have been done on the track rods and not the steering wheel.

You have unplugged the air bag and turned the ignition on and this has put the SRS lamp on and it will need STAR to turn it off

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi best bet is get it on star check actual vavles of steering angle sensor and compare it to wheels

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
Hey guys.
Television: i didnt turn the car on without the air bag, i didn't get as far as taking the steering wheel off (the central bolt couldn't be removed).

But yeah i think i will get it onto a STAR, so probably now cost me more than it would have to get it checked by the garage lol.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had to use an garage airline wheel bolt remover to get the last one off.

The SRS contact is on the air bag that you take off first, not the steering wheel

If you lived nearer I would have cleared the faults for free

OP
C

CrazeUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2001
if i had lived closer i would have taken up the offer too :D
lol
Oh i totally disconnected the battery before touching the steering wheel and the air bag, and only connected once i replaced everything. i think i will stop being a have a go hero with my car lol.

Will a car soft tool let me remove help? if so i would rather spend £60-100 on something i can keep than MB ripping me off lol.?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes that could well clear it,,, there are many readers that will clear running gear faults and SRS but not body parts.

Top Bottom