BAS / ESP lights

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate
Hello. I am new here and need some advice.
6 months ago the BAS / ESP warning light started appearing. I read some posts here and changed the brake light switch (part bought from main dealer).
unfortunately it did not cure the problem and I decided to live with the it.

I had the car serviced by Mercedes yesterday (B service) and they flagged the BAS / ESP light saying that they had carried out diagnostics and found 2 stored fault codes - One with the brake light switch - And one with the Brake Servo Booster.

Has anyone heard of problems with a brake servo booster? Is this likely to be the cause of my problems, and if so, is it a possible diy job?

Would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks
Tom
2002 W210 320 CDI Estate

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
I had a similar problem with my E320 Estate. Transpired that one of the rear brake bulbs was in the wrong way which caused the bulb warning message to appear on the dash. On the odd occasion this would then change to ABS/ESP failure warning on the dash, rectified by changing the fuse in the box to the right of the steering wheel. I had it looked at and one of the metal tracks where the rear bulb holder attaches had cracked. Once the bulb was refitted correctly, and holding down the cracked track the problem went away (fingers crossed it stays away!!) Check your bulb holders and metal tracks on the circuit board as this can cause the problem according to the engineer.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, there is a travel sensor inside the servo, and it will be this, the brake light switch will be the old code still ion the memory, I will take a look in the morning, if I do not post back and give me a jog

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, thanks for replying. Is the travel sensor easy to replace?
I had a good look around on the interenet for references to 'brake servo booster' but could not find much for the E class. Do you think the garage meant travel sensor as opposed to brake booster, or is it all one component?
Tom

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Goldy..Thanks, I will check the fuses & bulbs. Would be nice if it was just a bulb...

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm..thanks for diagram. I can see sensor on my vehicle...looks like sensor is secured to servo with a circular metal ring. Do i need just need to remove the ring to release the sensor? If i do replace, will codes need to be reset with star?
Tom

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Tom,, I cannot tell you how to remove it until this evening.

Maybe someone else will know.

The codes should not have to be removed, and can sit there like the Brake light switch code, though saying this it is better to remove them

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just had another fiddle! Slot a thin screwdriver under the ring and lift. The sensor then slides out. Price for new sensor from Mercedes is £52.50.
I hope this solves it....Will let you know. Thanks for your help.
Tom

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just replaced the brake travel sensor with a new one, and fitted a brand new Mercedes battery, but the BAS / ESP light is still coming on just as it did before...
Does anyone have any other ideas? Do I have to reset anything...?
It is all a bit disappointing!!! Help!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just while I am checking, the ESP has to be re set by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock 3 times

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, I presume that I have to do this with the engine running?

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tried resetting the ESP by turning steering from lock to lock 3 times, but lights still illuminating...
Any other ideas?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The BAS fault code 1025 is the brake lamp switch

Data code C1200 is the wrong stop lamp switch fitted the only valid part number is 001 545 31 09

Code 472a is the release switch on the servo and I can send you details on that

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you a paper

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
OK just checked the brake sensor I was sold last September. It is 001 545 64 09.
Just spoke to parts at Mercedes and they say that this part supercedes 001 545 31 09 and that I have the right one. The parts guy said that there is one other switch on the servo but this is not user replaceable and come with a new servo.....??!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This has also been up once before,, that part number for the switch is OK for the update, the servo is not cheap

OP
T

Tom6873

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is about £380 + Vat I think...Don't want to change it until I am absolutely sure that this is the problem. Is it sounding to you as though this is the likely problem now?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Short of clearing the fault codes, and we have only ever had one fault like this before, I think that I would use a breaker, this fault is rare

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hi tom, knowing what sevo fault code it was would help. am i right in thinking the light is on all the time now? current esp faults are usually fairly easy to trace with the star machine. was your garage suggecting any course of action or just notifying you of the codes?

usual esp faults are, in order (ahem, :wink:), brake pedal switch, wheel speed sensor, yaw rate or lateral acceleration sensor, steering angle sensor then maybe diaphragm travel sensor, bas release switch trapped wiring, corroded connector, rodent damage (amazing how many times we see chewed wiring!)

good luck with that and see if you can quote us the actual code no.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom