Bathurst 12 hour enduro

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Benz had a big win here. Audi set the pace all weekend and were the fastest car but circumstances foiled their charge and Benz took out first 3 places quite comfortably in the end. Interesting race starting an hour before dawn with fog on top of mountain. Rained during race as well. Wasn't boring for sure!!

Ian.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Always meant to go.

Managed to get to the Clipsal 500 (run pretty much on the old F1 street circuit) a couple of times when I lived in Adelaide.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Always found Bathurst to be s good race to watch.
Used to really love it back in the Moffat/Brock/Richards era.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Aaahh, they were really great days. And the old wall to wall Cossy days too of course. For me possibly the best Touring Car circuit in the world. :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
conrod straight when it really was !!! bathhurst 1000 - best motorsport race out there

I've driven round the "road", even kipped overnight, as trying to save money and nearly froze to death

shame Ford and GM workers priced themselves out of a job - I see a new labour prime minister thinks he'll fix the planet, it'll be a 1kw how far can you get economy run before long !

OP
oigle

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Supercars still hit very close to 300kph on the shortened straight. The "chase" adds to the difficulty and keeps things a touch safer. Interesting to see the "restricted" GT3 cars only manage about 280kph. Make up for it in the handling though. About 4 secs faster than supercars over a 2min lap.
Not looking forward to life under our new labor gov't. People who have never even run a business of their own given the biggest business ever to run. Glad I am retired but worry about things like imputation tax credit refunds being buried. Some of their ideas are just off the planet. Restore manufacturing in this country but increase wages in line with inflation? Yeah right!! That'll work.
Sorry for the hijack of the thread.

Ian.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Not looking forward to life under our new labor gov't. People who have never even run a business of their own given the biggest business ever to run. Glad I am retired but worry about things like imputation tax credit refunds being buried. Some of their ideas are just off the planet. Restore manufacturing in this country but increase wages in line with inflation? Yeah right!! That'll work.
Sorry for the hijack of the thread.

Ian.
Take from the hard working rich and give it to the poor so that they can make everybody poor. Union fat cats will take care of themselves as well.

I remember around 2010 (around the time they were closing down the GM plant near Adelaide??) listening to a lady taking on the radio about her job at GM / Holden. After something like 20 years she’d ended up as the paint shop supervisor and explained how she’d been able to put both her sons through private schools & uni, was mortgage free and had never gone without due to her well paid job. I recall thinking that I should give up my job and apply to an assembly line job somewhere in Oz.

We moved there from Tokyo and found the cost of living in Oz even worse that Japan.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Oz std of living in last 25 years actually kept pace with the damage we've been doing to the planet... they somehow ??? didn't notice everyone else in the world under middle management level haven't had a pay rise at all for 20 years

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Blimey, I think this Bathurst racing started at Phillip Island if I'm correct? I'm only young enough to remember the Chrysler Valiant, Holden HT and XW Falcons racing, or when I first become interested in racing. My cousin was a scrutineer at Bathurst. He's now involved at Hampton Downs at Meremere NZ.

OP
oigle

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Blimey, I think this Bathurst racing started at Phillip Island if I'm correct? I'm only young enough to remember the Chrysler Valiant, Holden HT and XW Falcons racing, or when I first become interested in racing. My cousin was a scrutineer at Bathurst. He's now involved at Hampton Downs at Meremere NZ.
You got it right.
The original endurp was a 500 mile race at the aforementioned Phillip Island. Back then , we had classes and a wide selection of makes and models. Minis, Cortinas, Mazdas, big American stuff, Nissans, Toyotas etc etc. Was a huge speed differential between the fastest and slowest which had its dangers. Cars were pretty much showroom with some safety upgrades to brakes and suspensions. Some had plenty of go but not much stop. 10 laps in and off the end of the straights. Fun to watch. The current "make em all equal" rules reduce the drama a lot. Can get boring to a point. Bit like F1.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
is it still called the Bathurst 1000

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
OP
oigle

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
is it still called the Bathurst 1000
Amongst the afficionado, most refer to it as the Bathurst 1000 but, in reality, it has had different names according to the major sponsor that year. Currently it is the Repco 1000, the company that produced the V8 engine for Jack Brabham back in the day. There have been a number of various sponsors. Supercheap sponsored it for many years. James Hardie was another.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Amongst the afficionado, most refer to it as the Bathurst 1000 but, in reality, it has had different names according to the major sponsor that year. Currently it is the Repco 1000, the company that produced the V8 engine for Jack Brabham back in the day. There have been a number of various sponsors. Supercheap sponsored it for many years. James Hardie was another.
Most disappointing this year, not the race but the coverage in the UK. No coverage at all on mainstream TV just 20 minutes on YouTube. :(

OP
oigle

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
Was a good race too with variable weather conditions. Kiwi, Van Gisbergen was just too good when it counted. He had a podium finish in NZ the previous weekend, driving in a WRC event. Very talented driver.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Most disappointing this year, not the race but the coverage in the UK. No coverage at all on mainstream TV just 20 minutes on YouTube. :(
That is when you use your VPN and sign up to the Oz channels that are hopefully doing a free broadcast.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Is that akin to knock off designer gear? :geek::shock:;)
Wow what a stretch to arrive at that tenuous connection.

However,

1) the channel is free to air &

2) I’m not trying to BS people in any fake gear because I cannot afford the real thing.:rolleyes: :p:p

Last edited:
OP
oigle

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
That is when you use your VPN and sign up to the Oz channels that are hopefully doing a free broadcast.
Channel 7 Oz did a full free to air all day from 8am to 5pm

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Channel 7 Oz did a full free to air all day from 8am to 5pm
Just found a 2 hour coverage on the FreeSports channel so if you will all keep quiet so I can watch it peace. The only problem is that I know the outcome but I am sure there is plenty of action not previously televised in the UK :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom