Battery Coding.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
If like me you need to read up or ask about such things here's an article by Banner Batteries.
They have other articles.

Basically, changing a start-stop battery poses no safety risk.

If a high-quality replacement battery is installed, even without entering a BEM code, there is no safety risk, there is no risk of overcharging of the newly installed replacement battery, there is no increased battery wear, and the vehicle electronics or other components are not damaged.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Wouldnt have thought they need coding, thats what the car is coded / programmed to do ......

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Wouldnt have thought they need coding, thats what the car is coded / programmed to do ......
So did I, so I thought I needed to find out.

I welcome any information from anyone who knows anything else.

It is certainly not my area of expertise.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
If I sold batteries and they wear out slightly quicker because you didn't "register the replacement" would I mention that or be happy to sell more?

On BMW's you specify the battery type you fitted so it applies the correct charging rate for the one fitted... it allegedly also applies a different charging algorithm to new battery's and morphs as it ages - hence why you reset it by "registering"

Mercedes do not use this, so there is nothing to register on most Mercs (although I believe maybe the w220, or something of this vintage may have done. Television once mentioned it).

Plenty of other manufactures use this method today - highly likely in todays world it helps "certain" software know it was "maintained" by an approved repairer so it either fails as there is no approved warranty, or it doesn't because there is... These manufacturers are not run by nice people anymore

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
some newest MB models do have battery change registering... haven't figured out yet which models/which option have that

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Just fit the exact same battery as a replacement.
The coding is then just to get everything working from the get go.

I can report as the article said the car performs fine and all lights go out.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
it never made any lights come on - BM has used this since the E89s of 2005

you can of course just change the battery - you can use the same, a more powerful or a weaker one, the car will start the user won't know, but the performance and longevity will be different (but not by much), but as I eluded too, with Germany manufacturers you don't know what other hidden tricks may turn up and surprise you at a later date when you don't do it the approved way

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As I read it the BMW Battery Management System (BMW) is designed to cut down on emissions by using the alternator to charge the battery as much as is required to keep it healthy and as the battery ages the charging rate will increase to accommodate this. If then a new battery is fitted and the BMS is not informed the alternator will continue to charge the battery at the same rate as the old battery thus shortening it’s life and possibly damaging sensitive electronics

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my 57 plate 2008 model year 335d had this mental mostly charge the battery when the throttle is closed feature. So it lets it go half flat and then pulls 80 amps when you back off... all very nice up to the point it causes rear end instability in hard driving, and you get a wobble on just when you didn't need it. It was one of the worst points on the car, you noticed it every drive as if it was an inappropriate down change.

I didn't keep the car long enough after I had a full software update in 2014 to see if they made that less dangerous. Another "fix" made me think the gearbox was on the way out. But it was just "a new design feature" they introduced to protect the drive line. I didn't know then, but it can be taken off in 15 minutes at home.

When the hoodies are all tuning the car to death they can get the twin turbo tractor up to 660 lbs ft (900nm) will just a basic reflash on the engine ecu and the whole drivetrain doesn't care one jot. So its extraordinary BMW subsequently put in a feature to open up the gearbox clutches to bleed off power under full death off the line use. As it left the factory it was designed to take 531 lbs ft (720nm), but they dropped the limit I think to 343 lbs ft (485nm) and you could both feel and hear the box trying to kill itself.

Had I known I can just flash it back to grown up status with either an alpina set up, that even changes gear at the right time ! or play myself I might have kept it.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My 435i seems fine no odd handling characteristic on overrun but it’s not tuned and never will be in my ownership and won’t be tracked very pleased with the linear torque of the IL6 coupled to the ZF box a very pleasant drive

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Funnily enough, just reading up on this, as wanted to condition the battery in my Landy DS. According to manuals... you can't! (Even though JLR sell a rebranded CTEK conditioner & "Comfort" connector); the battery supposedly has to be taken out by an approved technician, with correct tools, etc etc.

Reading up on coding battery to car, apparently... it sorts itself out once you've driven 45-50 mins. :rolleyes:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
My 435i seems fine no odd handling characteristic on overrun but it’s not tuned and never will be in my ownership and won’t be tracked very pleased with the linear torque of the IL6 coupled to the ZF box a very pleasant drive
they come tuned to death from the factory though ?

you might like that phone app - you can basically have it work correctly or toggle back and forth between BMWs efforts or the improvements
I didn't know when I had it, but built in all dealer diagnostic tools (but they don't know how to use it) is the ability to put the Alpina gearbox improvements on any of the auto cars BMW make - and you're not going to tell me BMW have any idea compared to Alpina are you

435i Coupe Stage 1​

- Added Gear-Display in D-Mode
- Removed Torque Limiters in 3rd and 6th Gear
- Raised Line Pressure in high torque situations (> 442 ftlb) SEE THIS WILL MAKE YOURS LAST LONGER - the very issue BM added to mine

435i Coupe Stage 2​

- Added Gear Display in D-Mode
- Removed 3rd and 6th Gear Torque Limit
- Raised Line-Pressure mapping for high-input torque
- Reconfigured DEC Logic, with similar logic as in M-Cars (access to more shifting-modes)
- Even faster shifting in M/Sport+, absolutely instant paddle response
- Recalibrated Shift-Points in D & S Mode to improve throttle response
- No automatic upshifting in M/Sport+ setting
- DSC OFF puts Transmission in fastest shift mode
- Launch Control enabled (update of DSC, DME eventually necessary as well on 2012 cars)
- Retains full ECO - Mode functionality including Coasting

435i Coupe Stage 3​

- Added Gear Display in D-Mode
- Removed 3rd and 6th Gear Torque Limit
- Raised Line-Pressure mapping for high-input torque
- Reconfigured DEC Logic, with similar logic as in M-Cars (access to more shifting-modes)
- Even faster shifting in M/Sport+, absolutely instant paddle response
- Very strong blips on downshifts
- Recalibrated Shift-Points in D & S Mode to improve throttle response
- No automatic upshifting in M/Sport+ setting
- DSC OFF puts Transmission in fastest shift mode
- Launch Control optimized (update of DSC & DME eventually necessary as well on 2012/2013 cars)
- Retains full ECO - Mode functionality including Coasting

435i Coupe Stage 4​

- Identical to Stage 3 map, but sports a true Race-Map in S/Sport+. Shiftpoints are setup in a way you can leave the transmission in full Auto-Mode on Circuit.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
hey they've FIXED this website back and working correctly using the fast better anti-spyware browsers IE11

one weeks visit to this and one or two other sites in a week and these days they secretly trawl your PC and 1 gig of total spy junk changes hands, use IE11 and is about 90 meg

Buck2003

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E220 CDI 2.1 diesel blue efficiency Auto Cabriolet
If like me you need to read up or ask about such things here's an article by Banner Batteries.
They have other articles.

Basically, changing a start-stop battery poses no safety risk.

If a high-quality replacement battery is installed, even without entering a BEM code, there is no safety risk, there is no risk of overcharging of the newly installed replacement battery, there is no increased battery wear, and the vehicle electronics or other components are not damaged.

So just to clarify if I put a new battery on it doesn't need coding/registration? 2011 w212 E220 cabriolet.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So just to clarify if I put a new battery on it doesn't need coding/registration? 2011 w212 E220 cabriolet.
That's what the owner of the battery makers says and from my experience he was right.

My electrical knowledge is not extensive so I need to ask.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom