Battery Issue

John Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222/2015/350d
Good morning all,

I have just replaced a the faulty large battery on my W222 Cdi Bluetec.
I have replace it with a battery with the same ratings as the original (105Ah 950A)
This battery needed to be charged as it had not been used since it was purchased back in June.
Following the battery being fully charged and tested, I fitted it to the car.
Car started first time and everything seems to work ok.
The issue I have is that the following message soon after I first started the car and still appears despite my covering over 150 miles after installaion;
“Stop Vehicle, Shift to P, Leave engine running”.

Can anyone help?

I have checked Battery terminals and they are nice and tight.

Thank you in advance.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
fault code reading session sounds likely....

if its not a fault the only point I can think for stopping whilst leaving it running would be the ad blue may need topping up

is there anymore hidden....
or check hand book

OP
J

John Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222/2015/350d
fault code reading session sounds likely....

if its not a fault the only point I can think for stopping whilst leaving it running would be the ad blue may need topping up

is there anymore hidden....
or check hand book

Thank you for your very quick response.
The car was running fine previous to me changing the battery.
I have to replace original battery as it had a damaged cell which was causing the fan to run flat out all the time and stop/start fault where I needed to start the car on the button as it cut out at a junction when I needed to move off.
As I mentioned car is driving fine but this message comes up every time within seconds of me starting the car.
I have also noticed that the stop/start is inoperative and I cannot access anything on instrument panel using buttons on left side of steering.

OP
J

John Taylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222/2015/350d
Thank you for your quick response.
The car was running fine previously before I changed the battery.
I had to replace the original battery as it had damaged cells which was causing the cooling fan to run continuously at full speed and a stop/start fault where the engine would stall intermittently when moving off from a junction.
As I mentioned the car seems to drive fine but the message afore mentioned error message comes on within seconds of me starting the car.
I have also noticed that the stop/start has become inoperative and I am unable to access information from the instrument panel because message won’t clear when pressing the “ok” button on steering wheels.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
what status is the ad blue at....

if its low the car won't restart.. when this low they need 10 ltr minimum fill. I may be completely wrong so feel free to ignore me.

On another post its was the baby motorcycle battery that caused the stop start to stop working (E class not an S)

I doubt the fan running on is caused by a flat battery but something more costly. Get to good indie with experience and full diagnosis. Trying to fix an S class at home is not viable (unless a full tech with lots of kit and experience)

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Good morning all,

I have just replaced a the faulty large battery on my W222 Cdi Bluetec.
I have replace it with a battery with the same ratings as the original (105Ah 950A)

This battery needed to be charged as it had not been used since it was purchased back in June.
Following the battery being fully charged and tested, I fitted it to the car.
Car started first time and everything seems to work ok.
The issue I have is that the following message soon after I first started the car and still appears despite my covering over 150 miles after installaion;
“Stop Vehicle, Shift to P, Leave engine running”.

Can anyone help?

I have checked Battery terminals and they are nice and tight.

Thank you in advance.
Have you tried doing what what it says, leave it ticking for a while?

Did you register the new battery to the car ?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Back to basics, get a voltmeter and test the voltage with car running and not. you will soon see if the alternator is goosed.

Don't think you need to register the battery to the car.

Stop start needs a well conditioned battery as there is obviously all of strain the battery, do as suggested and get the alternator checked.

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c-class coupe 2012 1800 t
Disconnect the negative rail battery sensor, fully charge the battery with ctek charger then run car with sensor disconnected, stop start and brake hold will not work while sensor is disconnected but everything else will, no warning lights.

This will show whether sensor is faulty. I have disconnected mine to get rid of stop/start, the added advantage is you will have a fully charged battery not the 80% with sensor connected. leaving the sensor off will not damage battery, the alternator will not charge above 14.3 volts at any time.

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car is a Dec 2011 C-Class Coupe 1.8 petrol turbo with stop/start, it has the original batteries (starter and aux), the article above is rubbish, if the Aux battery fails stop/start won`t work, that`s it, everything else runs off the main starter battery, as already stated, if you have battery problems just disconnect the battery sensor, fully charge the battery then drive the car, (you will loose stop/start and brake hold, nothing else) if the stated fault still occurs you have other problems probably not battery related, if the car drives as normal with no warnings on dash the battery is OK, with the sensor disconnected the engine management unit reverts from a smart charging regime to continuous charging as it was pre stop/start, the voltage when driving will be between 13.8 and 14.4. Try this before you spend large sums on new batteries, it will not harm your car but may save you money.

One of the main causes of stop/start not working is the aux and main battery being under charged, that is mostly caused by driving short distances with little regeneration. If you don`t want to disconnect sensor just fully charge the battery with a Cteck charger, stop/start should then work, if you do infrequent or short journey`s Stop/start will again not function, stop/start shortens your battery by at least half, smart charging won`t allow the car under it`s own power to charge the battery beyond 75/80%, at that level stop/start won`t work, these problems did not occur prior to the implementation of stop/start.

When the battery sensor is disconnected it does not matter whether you drive short or long distances the default charging regime the car is now in will ensure the battery is always near to fully charged as the alternator is now charging the battery continuously under engine power. To end, in most cases stop/start and regeneration save very little fuel but do cause early battery failure and other issues.

Last edited:

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update have now disconnected Cayman 981`s battery sensor, flashing light on dash saying Stop/start deactivated, to get rid of this just flick the lower stalk attached to steering column, the one below wiper stalk, you might say why not just press stop/start button, you may forget to press it and get a surprise at a busy junction, with this method NO surprises, stop/start is deactivated that`s it. Battery checked at 12.75 volts at rest after a 25 mile run, battery charging at 14.1 volts, everything works, brake hold, elect foot brake, air con, Bose, no EML on dash, car drives as normal, tick over is normal, no surging.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
So flicking the cruise control stalk deactivates the Stop/Go, same as pressing the ECO button and extinguishing the green light on the button?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Those instructions are for a Porsche...

Or at least that’s what’s been written

Robuk22

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Guy`s, wrong forum, but good info, as sensor disconnect works on Merc`s and Porsche`s.

Top Bottom