battery problem?

dirtycarpet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi avantguard 2002 2200
Hi All,
Once again i find myself in need of assistance!

My wife had to get the car (02 mercedes c220 avantguard) jump started in the early hours of this morning (she'd just completed a night shift).
She stated that she'd noticed during the night that the interior light had come on (on its own) and the hazard lights had started to flash (no alarm so im guessing just the hazards) by the time she'd finished her shift the battery was flat.
Ive noticed over the last week or so that when the car is started from warm or from cold there is a clicking sound that can be heard from (i think) behind the center console (radio area). im not a car person but i think this might be a relay clicking? im wondering if anyone can shed some light on this as my wife works a lot of night shifts, shes a nurse so to have a unreliable car or a problem on the car is a no no.
the car started immediatley it was given power if that helps.
thanks all

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think we have 2 faults here, the clicking behind the dash will be a heater flap at fault.

Re the battery going flat its possible that the alarm siren has expired, upsetting the alarm, I would unplug it and see if it cures it

OP
D

dirtycarpet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks for the post.
After the wife got home this morning and mentioned it to me - i went outside and again noticed the hazards flashing (although not switched on) - for some unknown reason, i left the car unlocked and kept my eye on it. its not happened since. could it be something to do with having the car locked?
Could it be the battery as the batteries been in it for at least 4yrs?
i intend taking it to a friend who has his own garage but i wanted to get some info first on possible causes.
thanks again for any assistance given..

OP
D

dirtycarpet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sorry for the follow on but as im ignorant of such things - how would i unplug the alarm siren? is it as easy as it sounds? locate the siren and pull the plug out once found?
thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to remove the rear section of the nearside front wheel arch liner and its under a plastic cover at the bottom

OP
D

dirtycarpet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An update - apparently now when the car is locked with the key fob, the warning lights flash on and off as they should do - unfortunatley they dont turn off. They keep flashing. This happens immediatley upon the car being locked. Therefore the car has to be left unlocked.
My wife said that when she unlocked the car this morning with the key (as the battery was flat) that comes with the fob the car alarm went off.
do you think that your idea of the alarm siren expiring has now gained weight with this update?
i appreciate your helping me - thank you

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I still think the siren has expired :D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
As above - the flashing hazards show the alarm is activated, and the lack of siren points us to the top suspect in this common fault.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
OP
D

dirtycarpet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
what can i say - thank you all so much. i really appreciate you all taking the time out to help me. thanks all

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom