Battery sign,, visit workshop warning

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
Hi Boys and girls,, today I had to change the rear aux battery since the Battery sign visit workshop warning came on, checked the rear battery at an electrician and he told me that it was dead after connecting an electronic device showing it was dead " although it was showing 12.8 volts something'.... I fitted a new battery back in its place taking note of which terminals gone on first. I put ignition on and started and the warning did not go away... the technician told me to lock the car up and not to start it again before tomorrow.. he added that the computer needs to reset itself... the dash is also showing 1 malfunction.. he also told me that the car might need to reset the warning light by the electronic device which is connected for faults... my question is should I wait a day for the computer to reset or should I insist that the fault be removed by the electronic device?

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry to be clear - did you replace the battery or put the old one back in?

OP
M

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
Sorry to be clear - did you replace the battery or put the old one back in?
Sorry I wasn't clear enough .. I put the new battery in actually.. the alternator is charging since I tested it myself....and on start all the red lights surrounding the console etc all go off too. I admit I had this fault about 3 years ago when I first purchased the car but at that time I was ignorant about the cars functions and had no knowledge about how its electrics work,, not that I am any expert now,, far from it. At that time 3 years ago I took the car to a technician who replaced the battery and I have no idea how he cleared the red warning light,, he also charged me Euro150 for changing the battery only which I found a bit dear as a fee, thus this time I changed the battery myself... its no rocket science anyway.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah ok thanks
I’d have thought it should reset after a short time?

OP
M

MALTESESL500AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL500 AMG KIT
I have no idea.. thats why Im asking John Laidlaw. My current technician told me to lock the car and let it reset since he states that I made a mistake when I started the car immediately after installing the new battery. Unfortunately for me also I had to lock the car with the key and not by remote since the key battery was flat too (Pfff) I will renew the key battery and lock it remotely, leave it for a day and see what happens and no one here has any suggestions... if the warning light doesnt go off I willinstrcut the technician to check it out with his electronic tester.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom