Be Careful Where You Shop

robert ives

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 W210 Avant Garde Sedan 2.4 v6
six months ago I purchased a set of alloy wheels and tyres from wheelbase.com of manchester. The wheels were MSW by Oz racing and I think they look great. 3 weeks ago I had amechanic doing some work on the front of the car. when the front wheels were removed we discovered that the wheel bolts that had been supplied were way too short, they had only gone into the hub by 3 threads. I contacted wheelbase and spoke to A Mr Cox about it, he immediately tried to say that it was my fault!!!!!!!! With that sort of attitude I would certainly never use them again, or recommend tham to anyone else. So be warned.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
I was looking at their website at the weekend
I only live a couple of miles away from them
Won’t be going there

OP
R

robert ives

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely it would have been obvious to whoever put the wheels on, that the bolts were too short.
how would you know. if i turn up at the local tyre shop to have the wheels changed over. you take on trust that the wheel bolts in the box are correct for the vehicle they were supplied for. when you offwe a bolt up you cannot see that it is too short, and it is going into a deep hole ith thread at the end. cannot blame the local tyre shop. but you should be able to rely on a so called professional dealer to provide you with the correct fittings for your car, especially when you are spending £800 plus with them.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
how would you know. if i turn up at the local tyre shop to have the wheels changed over. you take on trust that the wheel bolts in the box are correct for the vehicle they were supplied for. when you offwe a bolt up you cannot see that it is too short, and it is going into a deep hole ith thread at the end. cannot blame the local tyre shop. but you should be able to rely on a so called professional dealer to provide you with the correct fittings for your car, especially when you are spending £800 plus with them.

In my opinion this is a tough one.. things get mis-packed all the time. It's part of life.

I feel like the person fitting the tyres might have copped this, but I wouldn't fault them for not.

Would be an interesting one in court if there were an accident off the back of the error. Thankfully this didn't happen though and nobody got hurt.

Reminds me of the time, my mate was studying automotive engineering in uni. One day, one of the lads in class brought in his car to do something on it and as he was driving home that day one of the wheels fell off. That certainly would have tested the uni's liability insurance. Again, thankfully nobody was hurt.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0

How would I know? I would know because the bolts were tightening far too quickly, and even a local tyre shop should have known this (your garage did!). Wheelbase have a very good reputation, and as Conor pointed out mis packing occurs all the time. May have been mispacked at the manufacturers as well, so possibly not even the suppliers fault. Nothing happened in any event.

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Sorry to ask a dumb question - but how many threads do you need to engage with the hub as the hub is only a few threads thick anyway(or is on my W164)?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Sorry to ask a dumb question - but how many threads do you need to engage with the hub as the hub is only a few threads thick anyway(or is on my W164)?

I'd expect to see a thread protrude through the other side of the hub

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
A lad at work had exactly the same problem with bolts on aftermarket Merc alloys .... I don't think his screwed in as far as 3 threads and he'd been using the car some time like that. The wheels were on the car when he bought it.

cbxpete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55AMG
I think they recommend 7 to 8 turns, I was about to fit my summer wheels and noticed the current bolts only turn five times.
New bolts to order.

Pete.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I think its pretty crap that the business owner tried to blame you.
They should atleast know the wheels are right for the car and then the ensuing bolts.
He should have apologised and posted you the corerct bolts.

Crappy customer service.

Glad you have spotted it and rectified the issue.

OP
R

robert ives

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think they recommend 7 to 8 turns, I was about to fit my summer wheels and noticed the current bolts only turn five times.
New bolts to order.

Pete.
i asked a couple of dealers and they all said that the bolt length for my vehicle is 28mm thread the bolts supplied by wheelbase are 20mm.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
i asked a couple of dealers and they all said that the bolt length for my vehicle is 28mm thread the bolts supplied by wheelbase are 20mm.
Bolt length can vary dependent upon wheels. My winter wheels have much shorter bolts than the summer ones because the holes are recessed more. Still the same amount of protrusion though. If I was to use my summer bolts they'd go straight through the hubs and knacker the parking brake.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Years ago I had my car, a Cortina Estate serviced before we went on holiday. Driving down through France I kept hearing a squeaking noise and initially put it down to “chirping insects” which is quite common over there in summertime.

But when crawling in traffic I noticed the speed of the noise changed with my speed. Taking a look, I was utterly shocked to find all the wheel nuts on one side were only finger tight! Problem solved in five minutes but followed by an interesting conversation on my return! We had travelled easily 400 miles - somebody up there was taking care of us!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

Understand you. However if twas me, and not big on trust. I would have looked at bolt protrusion from the rim Before fitting them. It's me in hospital if it goes badly wrong! I think yr Tyre fitter had some duty of care as well. I also think, if you supplied correct info at time of order then yr supplier should supply the correct pts foc.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250

Rule of thumb, at least as many as width of bolt should be in the hub

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom