Best fuse for cigarette lighter

A9JBR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MERC270CDI ECLASS 53PLATE
Vehicle 02 2.7 cdi
Like most non smokers the cigarette lighter in my vehicle gets used as an electrical outlet to run several of todays needs must accessories(phone charger , i pod lead ,sat nav power. etc) Two this effect i have a 5 way electrical split (not all used at one time) However i find that if i try and use 2 accessories at one time it blows the 15 amp fuse.
Query (1) is it possible to increase the amperage of the fuse to deal with the load ?
(2)can this be done safely?
(3) what is the max number of accessories you would recommend from this power supply ?

Thanking you in anticipation of your observations

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You cannot fit a larger fuse as there would be a risk of fire damage, and not a good idea

It is not the number of things,it is the current drawn by any one of them,, maybe you could spread the load and use the rear lighter for somethings

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Malcolm

the tyre pump will blow the fuse, I think colin mentioned he used a 25amp fuse, Ive replaced the 15 for 20 and so far so good.
jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Malcolm

the tyre pump will blow the fuse, I think colin mentioned he used a 25amp fuse, Ive replaced the 15 for 20 and so far so good.
jib

Fair enough Jib,,I was going to say uprate to 20 amp, it will still blow before anything else :D

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I find that both my tyre pumps work well off 10amp circuits, Mercedes are already uprated to 15amp so shouldn't be an issue. I would be looking for a fault in whatever is plugged into the equipment rather than changing the fuse. I fitted extra 10amp sockets to my W210 by wiring them from the battery and having them in the back of the centre console, I used to run ipod, DVD, multiple phone chargers, Sat Nav & road angel with no issues at all. I also used to use them with the tyre pumps to inflate footballs without blowing the fuse. The only fuse I've blown was from the aux socket in the back of my ex's Accord using the tyre pump as that socket is only rated to 5 amps.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom