Best wax polish etc

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
For years now I have been using a polish called Mer, it’s really good in preserving a car in perfect condition. Polish it on in the normal way about twice a year but add a capful to your bucket of hot water whenever your washing your car and it comes up just as if you had spent hours polishing it .This is a good long term preservative polish that seems to shrug the effects of UV on the paint .I have tried others but Mer always seems to look the best for the longest. It’s German by original manufacture and they tend to make good products.

I used to use Mer but discovered it has abrasives in it composition. Not good on clear coat finishes. Carlack 68 is preferred as it is totally free of abrasives. I top it off with a layer of Collinite 915 ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Meguire's products for me,,it last well and I have never had to clay the car and I do not have one swirl mark on it

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Meguire's products for me,,it last well and I have never had to clay the car and I do not have one swirl mark on it

And it never goes out in the rain, covers less than x miles a year.

Those that use their cars need a strong, persistent wax.

Collinite get my vote :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And it never goes out in the rain, covers less than x miles a year.

Those that use their cars need a strong, persistent wax.

Collinite get my vote :)

26k miles in exactly 3 years is not hardly any miles. It does get caught out in the rain, I just do not take it out when it is raining as I do not have to.

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Focus, CLK 230, 911, Spitfire MK II
No one snow foams the car first then ;)

I use a bunch of poor boys products got a few tubs around I can post some samples out if anyone wants some! Suds, Wax and APC

garytitley

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes e 320 cdi avantgarde
Dodo juice purple haze wax for me.Stunning results and last 3 to 4 months:)

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
Yes, everyone has their own preference with waxes. I am a big fan of Mer. I'm not gonna get into all that claying stuff, I have better things to do with my time!! lol
A good handwash every week and a coat of Mer every couple of months and my car looks just fine to me. Of course, there will be others who are more fussy than me and my interpretation of "shiny" might not be the next persons. So I guess you simply go with whatever makes you happy. But remember.....life really is too short to get too fussy about car wax!! lol

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I like shiny :wink:

P1030059.jpg

P1030058.jpg

P1030057.jpg

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A product called Grade A Polish then Chemical Guys 50/50 wax to finish

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Hiya 47p2

Can you tell what you are using on Tilly?

i have recently clayed mine and was given a zymol kit recently as a pressie but havent got round to using it yet

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
A product called Grade A Polish then Chemical Guys 50/50 wax to finish

The paint finish in those days was far better than now, no "orange peel".

No amount of polishing will get a glass finish on a modern, solvent free paint finish..

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Claybars are excellent at removing contaminants before polishing. It is a long laborious job but well worth the effort. This should be done immediately before you polish the vehicle. Zymol make some superb products, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the outcome when you get round to doing it.

Tilly was painted 26 years ago by a chap called Royce Cole. Royce was a shoe repairer to trade and had no skills in spray painting before he undertook the task of restoring the P2. I can only presume that she was painted with plenty of coats of paint, then wet sanded and polished up to remove any orange peel. What whitenemesis says is not quite true, you can get a glass finish on modern paint, but you have to be very careful that you don't go through the lacquer coat into the base coat or a repaint will be in order.

Here are a few more pictures of Tilly

This is a picture of the garage looking at a reflection on the rear door
Reflection3.jpg

At a slightly different angle to show how the picture was taken
Reflection2.jpg

Finally the garage and not a reflection
Reflection1.jpg

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the subject of wet sanding I have an old Range Rover that I bought a few years ago. It had been resprayed by the previous owner at some time in its life and had a lot of 'orange peel' so I decided that I would wet sand it and polish it to make it look better.

I used a grade 2000 wet & dry which I kept wet using a bucket of water and a little washing gel to keep the paint lubricated, first sanding in one direction then the other at 90 degrees until a suitable finish was obtained.

This is the results after sanding
P1000731.jpg

The next step was to use Farecla G3 to remove the marks the wet sanding made and bring a shine back to the paint. G3 is a course cutting compound so I went from there to Farecla G10 which is very fine. Once this was done I used a polish which has a very slight cut in it to polish up the paintwork and finally finished off with some wax to seal it all in

P1000737.jpg

P1000735.jpg

The next few pictures were taken a few weeks ago after giving the Range Rover a polish, the first time in over a year
P1030481.jpg

P1030482.jpg

P1030483.jpg

I would like to add that if you are thinking of trying this, get an old panel from a scrapyard to practise on before attempting it on your car

Last edited:

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You will be able to buy the Chemical Guys 50/50 wax online but not the Grade A Polish. I buy it by the 5 litre can from my local auto paint store.

Any good polish should remove marks from your paint, what you have to assess is how bad the marks are, then know how best to remove them, be it a cutting compound followed with polish and wax, or if they are not too bad maybe just a good polish that has a slight cut and followed with a coat of wax.

This was the paintwork of the Viano I recently purchased. As you can see it is covered in swirls which will have been caused by poor washing practise, lack of polishing and neglect.
DSC00774.jpg

I washed the panel and then used a claybar to remove any contaminant, next Farecla G5 machined onto the paintwork using a spray bottle with water to keep the cutting compound well lubricated. Once the G5 was worked in I removed any residue that was left on the paint and started cutting with Farecla G10 again working in with the machine until the finish was what I was looking for. Again I removed any residue that was left and applied the Grade A Polish once again working in until the paintwork had the finish that I was looking for. Once the paintwork was buffed up I then applied the 50/50 wax and left this enough time to dry before buffing up to a glossy finish.
This is the end result
DSC00775-1.jpg

chris1200

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204
47p2

AMAZING.................YOU ARE A POLISHING GENIUS!!!!!!!!!

walkenblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 w203 220cdi Avantgarde
You will be able to buy the Chemical Guys 50/50 wax online but not the Grade A Polish. I buy it by the 5 litre can from my local auto paint store.

Any good polish should remove marks from your paint, what you have to assess is how bad the marks are, then know how best to remove them, be it a cutting compound followed with polish and wax, or if they are not too bad maybe just a good polish that has a slight cut and followed with a coat of wax.

This was the paintwork of the Viano I recently purchased. As you can see it is covered in swirls which will have been caused by poor washing practise, lack of polishing and neglect.
DSC00774.jpg

I washed the panel and then used a claybar to remove any contaminant, next Farecla G5 machined onto the paintwork using a spray bottle with water to keep the cutting compound well lubricated. Once the G5 was worked in I removed any residue that was left on the paint and started cutting with Farecla G10 again working in with the machine until the finish was what I was looking for. Again I removed any residue that was left and applied the Grade A Polish once again working in until the paintwork had the finish that I was looking for. Once the paintwork was buffed up I then applied the 50/50 wax and left this enough time to dry before buffing up to a glossy finish.
This is the end result
DSC00775-1.jpg

Thanks for your post back..Very impressed at your polishing etc,again i say WOW!..

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom