BG Engine Flush treatment - older MBs, W123, W124, W201 etc

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
Any thoughts on engine flush treatments made by BG?

My car had a B service earlier this week and I note from the invoice, BG engine flush was used.

I've only heard horror stories about such flushing treatments, esp. on older cars.
Also, have not heard of BG before.

Incidentally, the car passed its MOT with flying colours, the usual comments about it being clean etc for a 20 year old motor. The emissions were spot on, so not sure if such an engine flushing treatment will really benefit. At about £10 per tin, its not going to break the bank, but I can't help but think its not worth even a tenner.

Comments sought.
SY

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
BG injector cleaner is a good product. One of the better ones.
If the engine flush is half as good, I'd say it's a good thing.
Don't worry about it.

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I personally use forte products. But as far as I know BG products are also very good.
Nothing wrong with a flush to clean the old girl out shivayash!!!
If its a good product then how can it do harm?

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks to both - my only worry was that I'd heard of flush horror stories, on the older cars. Flushing could lead to blocked injectors and that sort of thing. I'll give the injector cleaner a try. I too WG M-B have used Forte stuff before, their diesel cleaner - it really does work.

With best,

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I use Wurth engine and injector cleaners, had good results with both.

jib

MechPhil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'87 260E
Hi there

I advocate the use of a good engine flush on most engines. The flush is added to the oil and helps dissolve deposits in the lubrication system. There is absolutely no way at all an oil-additive can have any effect on your injectors.

The only horror stories I have ever encountered with engine flush is in the case of a Toyota pick-up diesel engine that had not been serviced for 40k miles and where the oil had become sludged up and thick as grease. The flush loosened up all the sludge and some of the gunk that got washed down to the sump was so thick (tar-like in fact) that it blocked up the oil pick-up and a total loss of oil pressure resulted. Still, we only removed the sump, cleaned it out, filled the motor with (cheap) clean oil, ran it about 100 miles, added flush again and changed oil again.

That was about 5 years ago, and that engine is still running daily. The owner has never skipped a service again, and flushes every time!

Phil

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks to all. On a recent trip out of London I did notice an improvement in top speed of the car and pulling power, esp for over taking. The engine has always been smooth but an oil and filter change no doubt helped too. Would be interesting to see the power on a rolling road.

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
We use "Forte" Motor flush and a Fuel Systems Cleanser, or Diesel Cleaner on the three, or four services that we do every day and have never encountered a problem in the ten years that we have been using them :)

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really impressed with the pulling power now. Accidentally got up to 100mph on the fast lane last weekend. The car has never been pushed before during my ownership. I'm a 56mph driver in the slow lane. However during a bit of overtaking without realising the speed increased dramatically. The car was incredibly composed at this speed and smooth, but within seconds I was back to my usual speed. I prefer to maximise fuel economy rather than speed.

I'm certain the oil change and flush has helped. Usually air filters don't need changing too often but does anyone know who is oem for MB?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
...Accidentally got up to...

- Do you know why I stopped you, Sir..:Oops:.
- Oh, you didn't realise... hmm that'll be driving without due care, then.
- And your full name and address Sir?
- Got your license with you?
- Oh, and ignorance is no excuse for the law!:confused:

- I bet you were enjoying yourself really!
..."Go on... go on, just a little bit more"...
....."Yeaaah, she's done it!"

I speak of course as an absolute saint might talk to a sinner. :twisted:

At least you had a nice new MOT certificate.

I hope I can still do a ton in another 20 years time!

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah... Crazy huh. It's only a 2 litre, the ugly duckling of the engine range but very rarely have I needed more power. As I said, it would be great to get her onto a rolling road to see how many horses have escaped from under the bonnet in 20 years time. I bet very few. It left Germany with 136.

Given my flirt with speed, I am honestly the old man in the slow lane cruising at 56mph for max economy. I really like following a truck or lorry, for the clean air coming off... Stupid heh. But it's what I like to do. Slow and steady. I have read doing above 70mph kills fuel.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom