Big Service on Swmbo's Car.

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
Have you ever felt small or stupid while doing a job? :shock: :(

I was doing the big service on Swmbo's car today, oil, air, fuel and pollen filter and 5.4 litres of oil. Oh, and an o/s/rear side light bulb.

Everything was going as well as can be expected when they hide the oil and fuel filters under the wiper assembly on the bulk head, a total pita to get to unless, you have hands the size of a childs.

The easy way to get to them is to take off the wipers, the wiper scuttle and the plate that they all mount to. Then you have reasonable access to them both. (Sorry, I was so distracted, I forgot to take pictures). Mind you it helps when you have the 32mm socket to loosen the oil filter housing cap, similar idea to the Mercs, but with a big nut on the top.

I had the car up on my ramps and was doing the prep work while the oil was draining. Got the oil filter cap off, removed the old cartridge and cleaned it all out then my neighbour stopped by for a wee chat. Meanwhile I carry on working on autopilot, not a good idea, :confused: ;)

So, I continue, changed the air filter, then the fuel filter and start buttoning up the oil filter housing just before putting the oil in. I go over to the bench to pick up the oil and guess what's sitting on the bench next to the oil? Yup! the blo*dy oil filter.

A little cursing and swearing ensue until, I realise it could have been a hell of lot worse. I could have filled it up with oil and refitted all the bulkhead parts and wipers. :oops::oops::oops: and I still hadn't refitted the sump plug arrrgh!!! What a bleedin' mess and waste of oil and money that would have been.

Oh dear, feeling like a total t*at, I strip the cap off and fit the filter, go underneath and fit and nip up the sump plug, then go over everything I've done while chatting to the neighbour just to make sure I haven't cocked up anything else.

The moral of the story? just stop working when chatting to friends, it's safer and cheaper all round. Luck was on my side today, for a change. ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So, I continue, changed the air filter, then the fuel filter and start buttoning up the oil filter housing just before putting the oil in. I go over to the bench to pick up the oil and guess what's sitting on the bench next to the oil? Yup! the blo*dy oil filter.

Step forward he has never made a mistake ..... ;)

Many years ago my Dad had the heads off his V6 Granada. Tidying up at the end of the job there on the shelf at the back of the garage was a row of valve stem oil seals :eek::eek: Surely he'd fitted the new seals & these were the old seals :confused::confused: Rocker covers removed again revealed a lack of seals on one side. I made a simple forked pusher downerer that could be bolted to the tappet rail so we could fit the stem seals in situ :):)

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Love your stories Jimbo :)

If only they were just stories Vincente.

I sometimes think that someone up there is holding a grudge or determined to make my life a series of lessons.

The trials of Job come to mind. :eek:

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Everyone leaves the sump plug out once buddy :D

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Everyone leaves the sump plug out once buddy :D

It was intended to be left out to drain properly Wighty, it was just the neighbour stopping off for a chat that interupted my train of thought and methodology.

Still, as you said "Everyone leaves the sump plug out once," I do hope that's my one and only once, lol. :p

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It was intended to be left out to drain properly Wighty, it was just the neighbour stopping off for a chat that interupted my train of thought and methodology.

Still, as you said "Everyone leaves the sump plug out once," I do hope that's my one and only once, lol. :p
If you do it again then you never learnt from the first time buddy :geek:

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you do it again then you never learnt from the first time buddy :geek:

I don't think I'll do it again, even if distracted, I couldn't stand the embarrassment. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom