Blow By on C180k (LPG Convert)

embo99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k/2003/1.8 Petrol (W203)
Hi Everyone,

I recently got my Mercedes C180k 1.8 (w203) converted to run on LPG. After conversion, I was having a few problems, and whilst we were investigating, the LPG Fitter opened the Motor Oil filler cap, and there was fumes coming out along with a knocking noise.

Now I'm no mechanic, and he said to me this was engine blow by and that this was a very big thing, and that I should try shifting the car before it got worse, but the car only has 66,000 miles on the clock and has full service history.

I brought it to my regular mechanic and he had a look. He opened the dip stick whilst the engine was running, and told me if there was blow by this was the first place you would see it, and assured me there was no blow by and what I was seeing from the oil filler cap was normal.

I was wondering if anyone knows who I should be believing, and if possible, can anyone driving the same make/model mercedes take a quick video of theirs and post it for comparison. He says they are all like this.

I will record and post a video of the problem in question later once I get home from work, but just want to get some opinions, and anything you may need me to check to help diagnose.

Thank Everyone,

Ryan.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I simple compression test would prove the point for sure one way or the other.

The noise is the rocker gear and they all make a noise with the cap off.

At 66k piston trouble is almost unheard of these days

OP
E

embo99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180k/2003/1.8 Petrol (W203)
Hi Television,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah my regular Mechanic Jeff suggested a compression test to put my mind at ease, but its just because I got two differing opinions, and was worried from watching other videos of blow by on different cars, but non of a car as young as mine.

I thought having bother with pistons on such a low mileage motor was a bit premature.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi Television,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah my regular Mechanic Jeff suggested a compression test to put my mind at ease, but its just because I got two differing opinions, and was worried from watching other videos of blow by on different cars, but non of a car as young as mine.

I thought having bother with pistons on such a low mileage motor was a bit premature.

Is your engine the 271 this can have timing chain stretch, it could be what you trouble is at 60k miles,,, its worth getting this checked for they can jump a tooth and the timing goes out

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom