Blown? engine at 6000 miles

Rodger H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Sprinter 316 Crew cab pick up
Just bought my second new Sprinter, this time a MWB crew cab pick up. My last one was fantastic, it did 31,000 miles before the computer asked for its first service! Sold it at 50k as i needed seven seats and a pick up for my recesion scaled down groundwork business.
It has cruise and air con, can tow 3.5tons legally, and looks cool in its blue metalic paint and chrome grill.
Untill today i though this had to be the best workhorse on the planet.......then at 6,000 miles the engine died..........yes 6k and they tell me the engine is finished.
I am mad with anger! i paid a great deal of money for the assurance of being able to do 30k a year with no hassles and travel in comfort. But 8 weeks and i have a dead truck. Dealer is very helpfull, but they cannot replace my bespoke pick up just like that. I had to wait 4 months from order to delivery in September.

Do i take it back, or say keep it????

VERY UNHAPPY!!!!!!!

:mad:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Can't they source a new engine in quick time.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Hard to really know which course of events will leave you still earning a living... The dealer should be going out of his way to keep you mobile and in business..
They no doubt will want to replace the engine...that will take a good few weeks...
As it is a purpose built truck then the option is to have a new engine fitted and keep the truck.... and I doubt if MB will just want to hand you a brand new vehicle.....I suggest you get mobile with a rental and then decide your options..

luda62uk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 AMG
Rent a truck and bill the rental to THE DEALER , that will get them sorting you a new engine sharpish,,

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Rent a truck and bill the rental to THE DEALER , that will get them sorting you a new engine sharpish,,
I would be checking the T&C of the manufacturers warranty before doing that. Most waranties will not be responsible for consequential loss.

C

ched999uk

At 6,000 miles I would say you might be well within your rights to say it is not of merchantable quality and get a complete refund!!! I know this isn't what you want but a quick chat to trading standards will give you the correct legal terms to persuade MB to get you what you want. i.e. I am guessing your preferred option is for MB to replace the engine and provide you with a suitable vehicle while they fix your one? Or you could push for a brand new vehicle (same spec) and for them to provide you a suitable vehicle in the meantime? I would try and get a hire quote so if they say they can't supply a suitable one you can give them the hire quote :)

Trading standards are good at giving advice but they are for consumers not businesses!!!! As you are a business customer your rights might be different so it might be worth telling trading standards its a car and using the info to get what you want from MB. Little bit cheeky but MB sold you a duff engine so they should be doing everything in their power to sort this out. It shouldn't be costing you time or money to sort out.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

OP
R

Rodger H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for your comments. I have been promised an update by the dealer this morning. They gave me a new VW golf for the next few days, and worked on the truck last night as they are open 24 hours.

I will know a little more later today i hope. The dealer may be good, but MB may be a problem?

Will update later.:neutral:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Most MB commercial dealers are geared up for rapid response and a complete engine swap doesn't take long with the right engine jack.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I think you need a new engine asap, a replacement truck or cash back does not do it for either you nor the dealer even if they were available options which I doubt.

I would be surprised if the dealer, supported by MB if necessary, is not prepared to keep you mobile one way or another until such time as your truck is fixed.

Mic

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
All I know is that an engine swap should be straightforward. I have seen it done on other makes in a week. While its a lot of hassle a brand new engine is a small upgrade too.

OP
R

Rodger H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good news

Well good news!

The dealer worked on it over night, and they found a collapsed turbo intercooler pipe. They say this would make it lose all power, and make it sound like a tumble drier with a bag of nails inside.

I picked it up and then went on to pick up some gear, covering about a hundred miles. I am still a little worried about things though.

Firstly, the fuel consumption is down. It did 16mpg for the first ten miles, and the journey average finished at 22mpg. Now usally i get 24-27mpg on this type of journey, and would get 20-22mpg when thrashing down the motorway. 16mpg is reserved for pulling a loaded trailer uphill.

Second, i may be more paranoid than usual, but i am sure it is running a little hotter too. It hit 90 degrees, and moved bettween 80-90 depending on how i drove it. I dont remember this moving around before, or going up this high. But i had a 2008 315 for 2 1/2 years, and maybe the new 316 does run this way OK.

Anyway, its better news than yesterday, and thanks for all your comments. If any of you have sprinters, how does your mpg and temp work?:eek:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I wouldn't be too worried. If it sounds Ok and goes Ok without excessive smoke, then it probably is OK.

The temp sounds about right.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom