Blue efficiency injector problems

B

B Doyle

Television I know a lot of parts are 3rd party and I get your point but its not an excuse for Mercedes to use or any other manufacturer/supplier for that matter, I'm sure you know that too. I bought a TV from Amazon recently, it was faulty and they wanted me to send it back to Toshiba after having it for about 2 weeks. I bought it from Amazon not Toshiba. Same deal here.

Anyway I have had an email from the Sales person I dealt with telling me their General Manager will call me tomorrow. Here's hoping they'll offer me an E-Class Coupe in its place :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do understand how you feel, it was the biggest problem that MB has ever come up against, it was bad enough to virtually bankrupt the firm that made the injectors, so MB bought them out,or partly,,had this not have happened, it could have taken MB with it,,it has been a massive world wide problem.

The snag that made it worse was that nothing happened on extensive testing,and only came to light some months later.

I do not agree with many things that have failed also on MB's policies with many faults.
This could have spelled out the end, but is over now.

I understand that your contract is with whom you purchased it from, I have been trading self employed all my working life, I do hope that it all goes well for you

Merc Owner 2B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Sport Coupe on it's way in March
Here's hoping they'll offer me an E-Class Coupe in its place :rolleyes:

If they do, and it's from new stock, only having the E350 will steer you away from the problem.

My advice would be to hang on for yours to be fixed. It'll be a great car then.

Just hound them for free service and boutique vouchers and make sure the loan car is up to scratch!!

B

B Doyle

Just hound them for free service and boutique vouchers and make sure the loan car is up to scratch!!

Loan Car, now there's an issue! I reported breakdown just after 7.00pm and as such all Enterprise Car Hire calls were organised via their Airport branch. Dealing with Mobilo seemed faultless and all very optimistic, "we'll have your car picked up and a replacement with you within 2 hours". Wow I thought.

Told Mobilo that it had to be an automatic, I am only licensed to drive them. Car Recovery people said they would be within 90 minutes, which they were, 85 minutes to be precise. Enterprise could not get the car to me and wanted me to get a taxi from where I was to Aberdeen Airport to collect a car which turned out to be a manual. By the time they found an automatic it was totally impractical for me due to go to the airport due to the circumstances for my visit to Aberdeen and I got my wife to come in and collect me and my passengers. I had travelled to Aberdeen that night to go to a Lecture and missed the damn thing as I had to sit in the car sorting everything out. :mad:

I waited until around 10.00am the following morning and called Enterprise. Not a jot had been done to get me a car and they said they would get back to me. I am still waiting. At 2.00pm I called again and still no car available. I decided to call Mobilo and make them aware that Enterprise were probably falling short of their service level agreements. The lady I spoke to was going to call Enterprise and call me back. I am still waiting.

So at 4.00pm I called Mobilo again, this time I was put on hold while they called Enterprise, i was then put through to Enterprise HQ and they apologised etc and then put me through to the necessary branch. The girl who was very pleasant said she was doing her best but did not have anything available. She called me back shortly to say she still did not have anything and she admitted it could be the following week before they had a scheduled automatic car available. Then she called me again to say she had located an automatic CORSA! I'll take it, so I collected it the following morning.

When I found out it was going to be 3-4 weeks I called Mercedes this morning to tell them I was not having that for 3-4 weeks. She agreed and said she would speak to Enterprise and failing that Mercedes would give me something and get back to me. I am still waiting. There's a theme here you may see it.

Now I know I turned down their first offer and that was my choice but it took over 24 hours there after to get a car from them. In terms of the replacement car, I think I was told it should be a "small premium" which is fine and I don't expect like for like, its only temporary. Great service in principal especially if you drive a manual car and have your breakdown before 7.00pm ;) I see some people complaining about a Prius, you dont know you are born!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ouch,, not good reading is it, and that service was very poor,,I can understand the way you feel now, the joy of your new car turning into a nightmare, I do not know what else to say:(

OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Boxster S Mini Cooper E250cdi estate 2013
I' m in the same boat as Geezer ie having the car with the sword of Damacles hanging over it and I totally share his sentiments. The cars are still breaking down on a regular basis and it seems that there is no point at which you can feel safe as one broke down with 14000 miles on the clock. I go regularly to Stansted and simply don't take the car so we have to cram into our Mini as I simply can't risk the trauma and inconvenience of missing the flight. In some ways i wish it would break down on start up in my drive; then at least the end would be in sight.
As for Mercedes they should have dealt with this very differently from a public relations point of view. Both Head Office and the dealers are very tightlipped about the problem and some dealers seem to be so ill informed it is a joke. What they should have done at the very least is to write an official letter to all those with 220 and 250 cdi engines highlighting the potential problem APOLOGISING and telling us the actual truth about numbers affected what they are doing about it and when the recall is likely to be. They don't even seems to be telling their dealers the full story. If it hadn't been for the Mercedes forums I doubt anyone would have known the extent of the problem. It's a pity I didn't go onto the forums until a week or so after i bought the car
I have looked into the possibility of rejection for anticipatory breach and that could be successful if the car is bound to break down; but is it? Are some cars going to suffer no failure? We don't know. Anyway I along with lots of others don't want a different model so it's not really an option. There aren't really any options other than to grin and bear it and hope that if it does break down it does so in a relatively safe situation. It's no wonder there is a lot of discontent.

rayman

Reaction score
Hi
im just a new member but feel i have to let members know about this injector problem with new 220 models.I bought a new E class in November and was a bit dissapointed with the mpg as i thought my last car [E class 06 ] was a bit better but was told it would get better as the engine wore in .On fri 5th March i broke down ,i must admit mercedes were quick to have the car recovered and a hire car was given to me .When i enquired to the dealer about the car i was told it would be four weeks as there was a backlog for injectors and the actual factorys had slowed production of new vehicles to keep up demand for replacement injectors thus customers were told ther new cars would be delivered a lot later.After explaining i use my car as my income ie.excec hire etc ,they would rush the parts through but we,ll see .Hope this was of help to you ,ps ive only done 8000 miles.Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum rayman, and your sad tale.

All of this was brought about be the new legislation on particles and emissions with not that much time for the car makers to try and meet those targets,for we are now getting well into 2010.

All of these engines were run for up to 30k miles before being used in the various models on sale, the testing was done in the north of Sweden.

Maybe one day we will know if it was the design at fault or the manufacturing, at least it has been solved.

The MB share prices took quite a tumble over this issue, to have scared people more by announcing that there could be problems could have created a bigger mess, I am not sticking up for them,,but I have been involved with large international companies that have had similar problems, and all we could do was to work our way through them without causing a mass panic, as not all suffered or exhibited the same faults .

rrv

Reaction score
Hi have a 220cdi and the dreaded injectors failed yesterday (mileage 4500) Was offerd a Vauhall Insignia 2.0 cdi auto by Enteprise with a promise of a merc as soon as one was available. The car rental agreement I was asked to sign had a £500 insurance excess which I refused to accept. Called Mobilo who in turn called Enterprise and the excess was reduced to £250. Dealer told me today that the parts should arrive in 2 weeks. Should I expect a free service voucher or extened warranty when I collect the car?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi have a 220cdi and the dreaded injectors failed yesterday (mileage 4500) Was offerd a Vauhall Insignia 2.0 cdi auto by Enteprise with a promise of a merc as soon as one was available. The car rental agreement I was asked to sign had a £500 insurance excess which I refused to accept. Called Mobilo who in turn called Enterprise and the excess was reduced to £250. Dealer told me today that the parts should arrive in 2 weeks. Should I expect a free service voucher or extened warranty when I collect the car?

Welcome to the forum,,what do you do ?? ask them for a cheaper service,,that will not inflict any more damage to them and will help you,,best of both worlds,,what do you think

OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome to the forum,,what do you do ?? ask them for a cheaper service,,that will not inflict any more damage to them and will help you,,best of both worlds,,what do you think

Malcolm your pro- Mercedes bias is getting a bit irritating as I am sure those actually affected who have read your comments will agree.
Yes i am sure that these engines were extensively tested but the fact is that it seems that mercedes quality control was at fault in that Delphi are said to have changed the spec of the injectors without Mercedes knowing. If they had used exactly the same injectors as they tested then why should there have been a problem. It doesn't really matter what the cause is it is the people who actually bought the cars who are affected and we are entitled to be angry with mecedes for their cloak and dagger approach to this. The salesman who sold my car to me on 27/10/09 has admitted that he knew there was a problem and he chose not to tell me. You hear the same story from most if not all of the other buyers .
As for your above comment why should the poor man be concerned about possible damage he inflicts (whatever that means)? Anyway the going rate seems to be a FREE service at the very least and some people are getting vouchers.
In short Malcolm this thread doesn't actually affect you and if it were actually the main thread on the subject and consequently you had a wider audience you might attract some rather more direct comments from the many people actually experiencing or liable to experience the problem. You said above that you would say no more as there was nothing you could add and perhaps it is time to take your own advice as there isn't.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just for the record and being pro MB,my SL at 17k miles leaked 2 struts at a cost of £2300 including a little help from MB and during the next 20k miles has cost another £2k with still more faults to come, if I had not been able to fix many myself the figure would be double that. MB no longer reply to my Emails or letters

rrv

Reaction score
I think Mercedes should offer another year of waranty not only to reassure customers but not to put off new buyers. I am quite angry that there has not been a recall. This might escalate to the Toyota scenario.

AdPT

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
MERCEDES BENZ - SAFETY ALERT - FAULTY INJECTORS!

After buying what I thought would be reliability I bought a New Mercedes in September '09, a C250 CDI.
It seemed a great car with the Blue Efficiency engine and I was pleased with the decision to buy.

It is my first venture into Mercedes.
Yesterday afternoon ( 11-03-10) whilst driving, (luckily)... in nose to tail traffic my wife lost all power.

She was slightly shaken, but luckily she was able to bring the car to a safe stop, but if the car had been on the Motorway travelling at speed a sudden loss of all power with no ability to accelerate could have been catastrophic.

I drove out to my wife, I managed to limp the car home at 20 MPH.

The car was then collected and it soon became apparent that this was not an isolated case to be rescued and taken back to Mercedes Benz.

The chap who collected mine had already collected 5 others Mercedes this week.

The very significant question to ask is why are consumers being kept in the dark by ' the safety conscious MB and being exposed to finding out the fault themselves.

MB are playing it down and do not seem to see the significance of Power Loss.

Motorway driving ,as those of us who do lots of it know, can be very congested with no lanes to change into, so it could lead to traffic accidents & even unnecessary death.

Imagine overtaking on secondary roads, thinking you have plenty of power and losing the power half way through your manoeuvre, with oncoming traffic!.

Why has Mercedes not announced a recall?

It is a major safety hazard.

I have not been aware of any announcements in the news, maybe others have??

I have discovered the problem of loss of power is being caused by faulty , sub standard injectors, affecting all the c200-250 and potentially the larger engines with the Blue efficiency engine.

I know it is affecting both C & E Class.

I visited the garage this morning to have a face to face only to be told it would be 4 weeks, whilst MB manufactured and checked .

Why are the new injectors taking so long to obtain?

I was told it was because they wanted to double check the replacement quality was tested and I assume safety reassured?

Consumers and Owners of Mercedes are not being informed!

If this is the case, then how long has the problem existed?
How large is the problem.

It was also disclosed to me this morning that there were in excess of 25 cars in my local dealership already backing up waiting for repairs.

Is it the scale of cars being recovered, swamping the availability of injectors that is creating the 4 week delay?

This problem has the makings of another Toyota, unless Mercedes Benz PR come clean and make clear what the dangers are and what is more, make it public?

Toyota have already found out to their cost, that treating consumers like 'Mushrooms' does not work!

Being 'Stand Up ' about the potential issues of safety could save lives, or at least provide people with a cautionary warning.

The Brand of Mercedes Benz is overpriced and the reason is that you are buying into a lifestyle which guarantees quality , safety and reliability.

Mercedes Benz do offer a substantial cover with their MB24 and replacement hire is catered for, .... but the problem is being kept far too low under the consumer radar.

I'm far from being a 'scare monger', but If you or your family are driving a Blue Efficiency engine they could be in jeopardy.

I heard this morning that an E class Business man was on the motorway yesterday and just had enough momentum / power to coast safely to the inside lane.

The C& E Class are still being sold with the substandard injectors but what is troubling is that I learned this morning that one of the hire company employee had had a conversation with an employee of MB who stated that Mercedes Benz (using the credit crunch / recession as the rational) had decided to stop using the quality injectors in favour of cheaper alternatives, so this seems to stem way back to last year.

Salesmen are still selling C & E Class to hit targets, but they have the same quality injectors.

I think this whole issue is such a substantial failure in consumer communication; it should be brought to light.

The above post is intended to explore the scale of the problem and to ensure no one gets hurt as my wife’s experience yesterday could have been far worse.

Ad PT
P.S Happy to receive responses to my e-mail.

AdPT

Reaction score
Safety alert - faulty injectors - power loss

Hi Everyone,
MERCEDES BENZ - SAFETY ALERT - FAULTY INJECTORS!

After buying what I thought would be reliability I bought a New Mercedes in September '09, a C250 CDI.
It seemed a great car with the Blue Efficiency engine and I was pleased with the decision to buy.

It is my first venture into Mercedes.
Yesterday afternoon ( 11-03-10) whilst driving, (luckily)... in nose to tail traffic my wife lost all power.

She was slightly shaken, but luckily she was able to bring the car to a safe stop, but if the car had been on the Motorway travelling at speed a sudden loss of all power with no ability to accelerate could have been catastrophic.

I drove out to my wife, I managed to limp the car home at 20 MPH.

The car was then collected and it soon became apparent that this was not an isolated case to be rescued and taken back to Mercedes Benz.

The chap who collected mine had already collected 5 others Mercedes this week.

The very significant question to ask is why are consumers being kept in the dark by ' the safety conscious MB and being exposed to finding out the fault themselves.

MB are playing it down and do not seem to see the significance of Power Loss.

Motorway driving ,as those of us who do lots of it know, can be very congested with no lanes to change into, so it could lead to traffic accidents & even unnecessary death.

Imagine overtaking on secondary roads, thinking you have plenty of power and losing the power half way through your manoeuvre, with oncoming traffic!.

Why has Mercedes not announced a recall?

It is a major safety hazard.

I have not been aware of any announcements in the news, maybe others have??

I have discovered the problem of loss of power is being caused by faulty , sub standard injectors, affecting all the c200-250 and potentially the larger engines with the Blue efficiency engine.

I know it is affecting both C & E Class.

I visited the garage this morning to have a face to face only to be told it would be 4 weeks, whilst MB manufactured and checked .

Why are the new injectors taking so long to obtain?

I was told it was because they wanted to double check the replacement quality was tested and I assume safety reassured?

Consumers and Owners of Mercedes are not being informed!

If this is the case, then how long has the problem existed?
How large is the problem.

It was also disclosed to me this morning that there were in excess of 25 cars in my local dealership already backing up waiting for repairs.

Is it the scale of cars being recovered, swamping the availability of injectors that is creating the 4 week delay?

This problem has the makings of another Toyota, unless Mercedes Benz PR come clean and make clear what the dangers are and what is more, make it public?

Toyota have already found out to their cost, that treating consumers like 'Mushrooms' does not work!

Being 'Stand Up ' about the potential issues of safety could save lives, or at least provide people with a cautionary warning.

The Brand of Mercedes Benz is overpriced and the reason is that you are buying into a lifestyle which guarantees quality , safety and reliability.

Mercedes Benz do offer a substantial cover with their MB24 and replacement hire is catered for, .... but the problem is being kept far too low under the consumer radar.

I'm far from being a 'scare monger', but If you or your family are driving a Blue Efficiency engine they could be in jeopardy.

I heard this morning that an E class Business man was on the motorway yesterday and just had enough momentum / power to coast safely to the inside lane.

The C& E Class are still being sold with the substandard injectors but what is troubling is that I learned this morning that one of the hire company employee had had a conversation with an employee of MB who stated that Mercedes Benz (using the credit crunch / recession as the rational) had decided to stop using the quality injectors in favour of cheaper alternatives, so this seems to stem way back to last year.

Salesmen are still selling C & E Class to hit targets, but they have the same quality injectors.

I think this whole issue is such a substantial failure in consumer communication; it should be brought to light.

The above post is intended to explore the scale of the problem and to ensure no one gets hurt as my wife’s experience yesterday could have been far worse.

Ad PT
P.S Happy to receive responses to my e-mail.[/QUOTE]

mitchell.911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport (BE)
I like many purchased a new C220 CDi Blue Efficiency from MB Ascot and have now covered just 3000 miles; without breaking down - YET?

I had waited along time to own a car of what I mistakenly thought was prestige quality; having driven Mondeos and the like for most of my 33 year driving career.

I had a dream of driving to Italy this year and enquired from Mercedes Customer Services what may happen if my injectors were not changed; as they refuse to do so. The irritating man at MB assured me that it would all "be OK when I broke down", as the breakdown cover would look after me! - Not exactly the answer I was seeking having purchased a £30,000 car.

As MB seem to be completely dodging the issue; even after emailing and wrting to their UK MD, I am very tempted to go back to a Mondeo as at least it has a higher probablity (i.e. lower engineering failure probablity that is) of getting to Italy and back!

In all, buying a Mercedes has proved to be the worst motoring decision I have ever made. All I brought was a badge, and a badge that Mercedes themselves are managing to relagate from a prestige brand to a mainsteam cowboy!

I can do without a Badge; prefering relaibility and low failure probabilities. At least Toyota admit their errors and, in turn, will salvage their brand value; Mercedes are fast loosing theirs and it will cost them dearly in the longer term as this issue gains momentum and publicity. Fleet managers are already advoiding the brand; private buyers will follow suite.

Sad really, as I love the looks of the car but just cannot trust it. I cannot justify keeping the car on looks alone so will probably get rid of it over the next few months as I am now just fed up with driving a ticking bomb! Ironically, in 33 years of driving, including military vehicles in some fairly dodgy places, I have NEVER broken down. Probabilities are very likely that I WILL breakdown in a Mercedes of all vehicles; about the same odds (1 in 4) as getiing knocked down crossing Oxford Street in London in the rush hour with my eyes closed!

Last edited:
OP
R

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I like many purchased a new C220 CDi Blue Efficiency from MB Ascot and have now covered just 3000 miles; without breaking down - YET?

I had waited along time to own a car of what I mistakenly thought was prestige quality; having driven Mondeos and the like for most of my 33 year driving career.

I had a dream of driving to Italy this year and enquired from Mercedes Customer Services what may happen if my injectors were not changed; as they refuse to do so. The irritating man at MB assured me that it would all "be OK when I broke down", as the breakdown cover would look after me! - Not exactly the answer I was seeking having purchased a £30,000 car.

As MB seem to be completely dodging the issue; even after emailing and wrting to their UK MD, I am very tempted to go back to a Mondeo as at least it has a higher probablity (i.e. lower engineering failure probablity that is) of getting to Italy and back!

In all, buying a Mercedes has proved to be the worst motoring decision I have ever made. All I brought was a badge, and a badge that Mercedes themselves are managing to relagate from a prestige brand to a mainsteam cowboy!

I can do without a Badge; prefering relaibility and low failure probabilities. At least Toyota admit their errors and, in turn, will salvage their brand value; Mercedes are fast loosing theirs and it will cost them dearly in the longer term as this issue gains momentum and publicity. Fleet managers are already advoiding the brand; private buyers will follow suite.

Sad really, as I love the looks of the car but just cannot trust it. I cannot justify keeping the car on looks alone so will probably get rid of it over the next few months as I am now just fed up with driving a ticking bomb!
I totally sympathise with you but of course it is not possible for Mercedes to replace the injectors of all the 220/250cdi engines which haven't broken down as there are not enough to go round and they are concentrating on fixing the ones that have actually broken down. Hence there is as yet no recall but hopefully there will be in due course. You may be able to sell your car for a decent price but I would hold on personally despite my annoyance and frustration at the position we are all in. For a parallel catalogue of woe refer to to MB UK forum (Blue efficiency injector recall ).

mitchell.911

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Sport (BE)
My dilema is that I commute along the M3 every day and value my Son's life and mine higher than a badge!

Mercedes will not do anything and prefer to let events take their course, I know how to solve this safety problem and that is to buy a safer car. Unless, of course, MB would change their attitude to their private customers. Evidence suggests they will not. Finally, to go on holiday, I need a car I can trust so sadly have just got fed up of waiting. I suspect trade values for "those BE Mercs" will suffer as well. This will also make private buyers of new Mercedes think harder before ordering cars that may depreciate on par with the mainstream and cheaper models.

Thanks for your enccouragement and advice though.

Last edited:

MBKev

Reaction score
I am now really annoyed. I had the v5 injectors fitted at the beginning of Jan. Great. 4000 miles later. Same problem, I presume. Just before the failure last time I had a msfire and orange warning light. A week later, complete injector failure. Last night I have had the same misfire. I will be going into MB Warrington to see what they have to say. This was supposed to be rectified.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I am now really annoyed. I had the v5 injectors fitted at the beginning of Jan. Great. 4000 miles later. Same problem, I presume. Just before the failure last time I had a msfire and orange warning light. A week later, complete injector failure. Last night I have had the same misfire. I will be going into MB Warrington to see what they have to say. This was supposed to be rectified.

Bad luck. So far no reports here or on other forums I watch of Version 6 failing.

Top Bottom