BlueEfficiency/BlueTec

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Wow! thanks so much for all the info and opinions, it has been really helpful.

I understand that there can be a problem with an oil cooler seal on the V6 diesel, was this issue rectified after a certain year/VIN? Or is it only rectified by the replacement seal?

Whilst I don’t know the answer to that, it’s a common repair and budget £700-1200 to have it done. I wouldn’t let this be a worry in any way on a tried and tested v6 engine that’s been standing the test of time. You can easily spend more than that chasing repeat niggles and failures on other models and marques regularly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
As far as I've read... and with a 2012 I hope there's more than a bit of truth in it... the oil cooler seals were improved sometime in/after 2010 from the orange ones to an upgraded purple type which resits engine heat far better. However I don't think they are ever completely immune if you are unlucky.

OP
P

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 & 2006 A 150 SE
Indeed DSK, I don't expect a 10+ year old car to be trouble free. My 163 has thrown a few bills of this size at me over the last 10 years, its all part of the running cost (and goes through by business).
I just want to have the expectation that if I can find a good one, and look after it, it will start every morning and keep going for a reasonable amount of time!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I think it’s fair to say even with the purple Viton seals fitted to the OM642 oil cooler it may still develop a leak.
My 2012 E350cdi (which should have the Viton seals) has a small leak that I have checked at MOT just to make sure it’s not going to be a problem over the next year, the car has covered 77k miles faultlessly but the seals will require doing at some point probably <100k miles

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

I understand that there can be a problem with an oil cooler seal on the V6 diesel, was this issue rectified after a certain year/VIN? Or is it only rectified by the replacement seal?
My 2009 E320cdi W211 on 118k isn’t leaking at the cooler seal …..yet .

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Indeed DSK, I don't expect a 10+ year old car to be trouble free. My 163 has thrown a few bills of this size at me over the last 10 years, its all part of the running cost (and goes through by business).
I just want to have the expectation that if I can find a good one, and look after it, it will start every morning and keep going for a reasonable amount of time!

Be patient for the right one and it should serve well. With German stuff they take me the longest to find as so many are out there and the cars can hide the antics of the crooks well. Sounds like you’ll be fine as usually people these days just want a car to use and abuse rather than appreciate that stuff is only as good as its maintained (and built in the first place).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

pace

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 ML 270 & 2006 A 150 SE
Hi All,
so, the search for a replacement has started!
I have just viewed a 2011 ML 350 Blue efficiency Grand Edition with 100K miles, at just under £9K.
To be honest, I wasn't blown away by it. Perhaps I was expecting too much compared to my 270, but I didn't find it very refined and was quite surprised at the amount of engine noise coming through the air vents on the dash! Is this normal for this model?

I will have to look at some others for comparison.

I am hoping to view a 2008 ML 280 which looks immaculate, and is 3K cheaper. Going on previous information on this thread, this model should be more simple in terms of emissions gadgets and presumably likely to be less troublesome?

This car is mainly to be a workhorse, so I just need it to start every morning. It will have lots of short journeys, but will also get plenty of longer blasts.
What are peoples thoughts on a 2008 model vs a 2011 model (as above)?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

Later cars have an upgraded Vitreon Seal (It's Purple) in but they will still probably fail at some point, it is a £800 job for 2 x £4 seals (ask me how I know). The age you are looking at is prime for them to fail

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hi All,
so, the search for a replacement has started!
I have just viewed a 2011 ML 350 Blue efficiency Grand Edition with 100K miles, at just under £9K.
To be honest, I wasn't blown away by it. Perhaps I was expecting too much compared to my 270, but I didn't find it very refined and was quite surprised at the amount of engine noise coming through the air vents on the dash! Is this normal for this model?

The "Grand Edition" are the "Run out" models by MB, usually very well specced

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom