Bmw 320 for E Class..?

iconnolly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Hi, so we recently had a baby and the sheer amount of stuff the wife needs to bring everywhere now has made me realise how small my 3 series coupe actually is!!

So - Thinking of trading up to a mercedes e-class e200CDI. I really like the look and space of the e200, but my main concern is - will the 136bhp 2L diesel feel very sluggish in comparison to my 177bhp 2L petrol??

A larger merc engine is not an option financially.

Any thoughts?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
well unfortunately it will.
the E is a large car and needs power to move it. The variants available makes the 136 almost, if not completely, the most underpowered.
When you say financially tha's your option, is this a lease, or is it that that's what you can afford to buy? Just thinking you might be better with a C class estate with a bigger engine. You still need some 'fun' driving, even when the kids come along ;)

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
You really need to test drive it. Its quite a torquey engine. Lots of older 2.0 tdi 140 A6's out there with similar power and less torque. Don't blame the wife!! The new baby is a shared pleasure I'm sure.

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
personally, a 220cdi would be the minimum i would consider in an E class. 150-170 (depending on the age of car you are looking at) bhp will be minimal difference ovr the 177bhp petrol UNLESS you spend most of your days in the 4-6k+rpm band in the petrol car. if, however, like most people your car lives in the 1500-3000rpm band, then the 220cdi will eat the petrol car for breakfast!

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Why? Why do you need so much stuff for one baby? Surely that's the question?

Buggy in boot, child in seat...some food...what more?

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
The 3 series boot is tiny. .. The c class boot would be big enough though. . Buggy , bag with bottles and stuff and your own stuff. .. being in a 3L E350 myself I wouldn't like anything smaller engine wise. .

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The lower powered engine with a heavier car will feel sluggish despite having the grunty torque that diesels have for hill starts etc.

Then there's the noise of diesels at start and when idling, the smoke when accelerating hard after gentle running. Some can live with it, some seem to like it.
Definitely try before you buy, I wouldn't be happy with the swap if I were in your shoes. [Waits to be chastised from diesel owners].

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
big diesels are good to drive, very torquey and relaxing to drive. Quite difficult to go back to petrol (well until I get my SL600 that is!!)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
big diesels are good to drive, very torquey and relaxing to drive. Quite difficult to go back to petrol (well until I get my SL600 that is!!)

6 cylinder diesels are nice, usually with performance figures (0 to 60 etc) that match petrol with same size engines, the dieasel having similar HP and much more torque.
They sound nice too and many are very clean. I'm not anti diesel.

Small diesels are in my opinion for economy only, I can't imagine why anyone would want one for any other reason.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Small diesels are in my opinion for economy only, I can't imagine why anyone would want one for any other reason.

thats EXACTLY why people want them!

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thats EXACTLY why people want them!

I said I couldn't think why anyone would buy one for anything other than economy to spark a little debate.
Yes small diesels are economical for long drives and it's generally the main reason but there's more to it than that.

Small diesels are better than any petrol engine of the same size for towing, just to get us started.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I said I couldn't think why anyone would buy one for anything other than economy to spark a little debate.
Yes small diesels are economical for long drives and it's generally the main reason but there's more to it than that.

Small diesels are better than any petrol engine of the same size for towing, just to get us started.

cant argue with that either. and the torque is great for hilly regions too.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and the torque is great for hilly regions too.

Lol, I thought there would be more coming, like diesel is a lubricating fuel so the engines cylinders rings and sleeves last longer.
Maybe not as true these days with slippier coated liners?

Diesel used to be cheaper than petrol so the economy argument isn't as strong as it used to be.
For long term economy, if a car is kept several years, a small petrol engine with a gas conversion would probably win on cost per mile over a diesel.

As for the OP a diesel might be a good choice, it just wouldn't be my choice, it all depends on whether diesel suits the need and if he could live with it.
Diesels are very good these days but I have had people tell me I wouldn't be able to tell there car is a diesel.
You can tell as soon as it starts but they are Ok once moving.
Many people have put petrol in a diesel car, so it's not like diesels are agricultural beasts these days.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lol, I thought there would be more coming, like diesel is a lubricating fuel so the engines cylinders rings and sleeves last longer.
Maybe not as true these days with slippier coated liners?

Diesel used to be cheaper than petrol so the economy argument isn't as strong as it used to be.
For long term economy, if a car is kept several years, a small petrol engine with a gas conversion would probably win on cost per mile over a diesel.

As for the OP a diesel might be a good choice, it just wouldn't be my choice, it all depends on whether diesel suits the need and if he could live with it.
Diesels are very good these days but I have had people tell me I wouldn't be able to tell there car is a diesel.
You can tell as soon as it starts but they are Ok once moving.
Many people have put petrol in a diesel car, so it's not like diesels are agricultural beasts these days.

my own car, certainly on the move, sounds very much like a petrol, i have to say. much less agricultural than the car it replaced, but then thats a lot of development gone on in those 9 years or so between the cars

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had people tell me I wouldn't be able to tell there car is a diesel.
It's "their car" you numpty!
;)
my own car, certainly on the move, sounds very much like a petrol, i have to say. much less agricultural than the car it replaced, but then thats a lot of development gone on in those 9 years or so between the cars
Agreed mate, hope you didn't take offence earlier, I was being devils advocate when I said economy would be the only reason.
I expected a few more people to chip in with reasons the diesel was a good choice to live with rather than it just being a the low cost option, which isn't always the case.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's "their car" you numpty!
;)

Agreed mate, hope you didn't take offence earlier, I was being devils advocate when I said economy would be the only reason.
I expected a few more people to chip in with reasons the diesel was a good choice to live with rather than it just being a the low cost option, which isn't always the case.

no offence taken. takes much more than that to offend me. i have to say that in my case, i looked at 2 near identical cars (same spec and age just different colouras) 1 petrol and 1 diesel. i bought the diesel because although it was only £150 dearer, i get at least 15mpg more from diesel than i do petrol in my own personal useage NOT official figures etc, the tax is £130 on the diesel, its £295 on the petrol (both 2 litre) so i reckon even on my modest mileage, i should (hopefully) be quids in. i am toying with getting a remap though, depends on what gains can be got and cost etc, but not found anyone yet (other than the superchips bluefin) that ive heard any decent reports about for the ford

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
The 220cdi is a great choice due to its reliabilty !! Isnt it one of the least troublesome out of the merc diesels?
That alone is good enough reason...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom