Bmw drivers ?

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Robert Jones said he trusted his navigational system and continued to follow it when it told him the steep, narrow footpath he was driving on was a road.

Mr Jones, from Doncaster, South Yorkshire, now faces court action for driving without due care and attention.

His BMW nearly plunged down a 100ft cliff in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, on Sunday.

He was only stopped from falling after the vehicle rammed into a wire fence.

Police and rescue teams then spent nine hours recovering his car following the incident.

The 43-year-old, who works as a driver, said he relies on his sat nav for his job and described the incident as a "nightmare".

He told the Halifax Evening Courier: "It kept insisting the path was a road, even as it was getting narrower and steeper, so I just trusted it.

"You don't expect to be taken nearly over a cliff."

Mr Jones added: "I guess I'm just lucky the car didn't slip all the way over the edge."

The drama attracted crowds of onlookers in the picturesque market town that borders the Pennines.

One said: "It's like something off the Italian Job, but what a waste of police time.

"It's all well and good trusting your sat nav but how about trusting your eyes and when there's not a road in front of you, don't keep driving."

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "Officers received a call at 11.18am on Sunday March 22 reporting that a BMW was hanging off the edge of a cliff off Bacup Road.

"The driver was a 43-year-old man from Doncaster. He has been summonsed to court for driving without due care and attention . :mrgreen:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
a BMW was hanging off the edge of a cliff off Bacup Road.

The street name was well chosen!

Further proof, if proof were needed, of the correctness of Darwin's theory of natural selection. Will it affect all B*W drivers and if so, how soon?

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
As this is a Merc site someones got to say it....

His history of brain dead decision making can be traced back to his purchase of a BMW!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
quite incredible how many people will follow their sat-nav regardless of common sense.
do they not all flash up with a warning when turned on "to be used as a navigational aid only" or something like that.
he should also collect a "section 59" for illegal off-roading !

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
as this is my neck of woods

the street name looks appropriate, but it is pronounced "bay-cup" around here. Not that that should stop us enjoying a bit of schadenfreude. At least no-one was hurt.

Colt45_GTO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 merc 190E 1.8 Auto, 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TwinTurbo AWD, 1997 Toyota Hiace PowerVan 2.4D
i hat satnavs for this reason!
the amount of cars i see on our roads that have a satnav stuck bang in the drivers view is unreal. really they should be banned and those who need them to find the way to the supermarket they go to every week need a brain scan and eyes testing.

sat navs are dangerous to other road users

and this is a prime example!

car2tref

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43 AMG in Black;all these gone-Ford Focus 1.8tdi,Mitsi Evo5,SkylineGTR33 670BHP@wheels,BMW M5
It seems that his brain could only do one thing at a time, i.e. listen to the satnav. Amazing how he managed to survive up until now really!!:rolleyes:

C

C180 Chris

As this is a Merc site someones got to say it....

His history of brain dead decision making can be traced back to his purchase of a BMW!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ha ha, well said that man! I have had to spend too many hours in a BMW540i (work) I always thought it was a harsh and cheap looking thing inside and out.
You got it.... not a BMW fan!

Top Bottom