BMW to charge annual fee for CarPlay.....

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Probably because Apple have decided there is an untapped revenue stream that they can add to the coffers in their offshore account, never to be touched by US Tax Office

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I’m not sure this is an Apple revenue stream as they don’t charge a subscription to the car makers. They just charge one time for the service to be added to the car . But it remains to be seen if it is or not.

It’s something else any second owner is going to have to factor in though.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m not sure this is an Apple revenue stream as they don’t charge a subscription to the car makers. They just charge one time for the service to be added to the car . But it remains to be seen if it is or not.

A simple change to the licensing agreement will see to that, Apple are well known for being insular and charging for everything, you have to make an appointment to go and buy the stuff in a high street shop!!!!!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A simple change to the licensing agreement will see to that, Apple are well known for being insular arrogant, you have to make an appointment to go and buy the stuff in a high street shop!!!!!

Corrected for accuracy ;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
A simple change to the licensing agreement will see to that, Apple are well known for being insular and charging for everything, you have to make an appointment to go and buy the stuff in a high street shop!!!!!
And you have to ****** well wait. Love their products but their customer service stinks.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Well I have to disagree about the shops and customer service.

Everytime I’ve been in for something I have had excellent customer service.

Only had to make an appointment to get my last phone (not the current X) and AirPods.

Everything else I’ve walked in, bought it, walked out again. That includes my MacBook Pro’s that the first time I did the chap spent 2hrs with me (no appointment) taking me through the pros and cons of the models I was thinking of. Even tried to sway me to buy a cheaper model.

I like Apple stuff but I’m no diehard fanboy. I think they fooked up with the way they implemented power management recently and have started to price stuff a tad high. But as a technology company they are without doubt the best in the world at what they do.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Last phone I had, went wrong within a week. No problem sir, appointment made at Apple Store in MK1.

I turned up ten minutes beforehand. No one available even to make eye contact. Twenty minutes later someone graciously spared ten seconds to look my name up on a list- you’ll be seen shortly, sir. Sat down next to a lady who had been waiting 45 minutes.

In total I was waiting just under two hours. No apology, not even a thank you.

Of course it COULD just be that I’m a c**t.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
These announcements should be written and taken on a Butterflies wing the market is very fluid and any motor manufacturer who ties themselves down is short sighted.

I have been to the cult headquarters or Apple flagship store on Regent Street, it was suitably packed with disciples texting each other from one bench to another whilst waiting to have an audience with a chosen one.

With my bull ****-ometer peaking into the red I left.

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Last phone I had, went wrong within a week. No problem sir, appointment made at Apple Store in MK1.

I turned up ten minutes beforehand. No one available even to make eye contact. Twenty minutes later someone graciously spared ten seconds to look my name up on a list- you’ll be seen shortly, sir. Sat down next to a lady who had been waiting 45 minutes.

In total I was waiting just under two hours. No apology, not even a thank you.

Of course it COULD just be that I’m a c**t.

You highlighted the problem with your last sentence! :p

These announcements should be written and taken on a Butterflies wing the market is very fluid and any motor manufacturer who ties themselves down is short sighted.

I have been to the cult headquarters or Apple flagship store on Regent Street, it was suitably packed with disciples texting each other from one bench to another whilst waiting to have an audience with a chosen one.

With my bull ****-ometer peaking into the red I left.

I must admit the Regent street store isn’t a good example of Apple’s customer service. I’ve only been in it once a long time ago but they were polite with me. Heard stuff to the contrary from others though.

Then again the two staff I spoke to were female and obviously fancied me. They can’t fight biology as I say! :D :D

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I googled CarPlay. So now you have to pay for what is basically a glorified bluetooth connection?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I googled CarPlay. So now you have to pay for what is basically a glorified bluetooth connection?

That will only connect to Apple - funny that

OP
C350Carl

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Anyway. To get back on topic. What BMW is suggesting here is no different than a television manufacturer charging you an annual subscription if you want to plug a Apple TV/Amazon Fire Stick etc into the HDMI port!

Top Bottom