BMW X3 - TIMING CHAIN FAILURE

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Hi all

Has anyone heard / or experienced a timimg chain failure on the BMW X3 engine, I was thinking of getting one, but saw BBC's watchdog programme this evening and was horrified what I saw.

I was thinking of buying the X3 2.0d M Sport

Any advise much appreciated

Cheers

Malcolm

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Would have thought better posted on a BMW forum, not being funny but they would have first hand on your question.................

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Would have thought better posted on a BMW forum, not being funny but they would have first hand on your question.................

Point taken - I was under the impression that this section was for "Motoring related Discussion" and not specific to Mercedes

Anyway thanks for your input!!

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Saw Watchdog, it does seem to be an expensive problem so either factor in a warranty that actually covers the chain and doesn't class it as wear & tear or avoid completely.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Point taken - I was under the impression that this section was for "Motoring related Discussion" and not specific to Mercedes

Anyway thanks for your input!!

Didn't mean to sound off, this section is for these discussions, we in the trade hear things about other brands, but don't make us experts, ask us about a merc and we are on the case, my point being, ask on the correct forum and the chances are your get nearest the correct answer.....................

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The ubiquitous Mercedes OM651 4 cylinder diesel also has rear mounted valve timing gear. Part gears and one short chain [ single non duplex !] --No reports of failures-------- yet! Not sure if timing chain/tensioner failure is an engine out job or not? If it is I would expect similar 4 figure repair costs out of warranty to the BMW ones quoted in the programme. Many cars have adopted this engine configuration for a couple of reasons. One--- to lower the bonnet line, and 2 to keep the engine short for transverse installations such as the new A and B class.

765945_1397254_2560_3580_41._OM651.jpg

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
The timing chain issue is on,y on the N47 engines ..... I think it was only fitted to the 1,3 and 5 series (mine is an n53 engine) ...

==========================

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Looks like something off a pushbike.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Looks like something off a pushbike.

We have a lot of simplex chains driving all sorts at work ..... you'd not want to lift them, let alone try moving a push bike with one of them. ;);)

Point taken though compared with a duplex :D

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Thanks guys for the input

Malcolm

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
The timing chain issue is on,y on the N47 engines ..... I think it was only fitted to the 1,3 and 5 series (mine is an n53 engine) ...

==========================

What is the N47 engine?

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Didn't mean to sound off, this section is for these discussions, we in the trade hear things about other brands, but don't make us experts, ask us about a merc and we are on the case, my point being, ask on the correct forum and the chances are your get nearest the correct answer.....................

Understand what you say, one of the reasons that I posted here was I thought some of the members may have had a some time a BMW X3 and had this problem.

I did check a BMW forum and it got a bit toooooooo technical for me.

Malcolm

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Understand what you say, one of the reasons that I posted here was I thought some of the members may have had a some time a BMW X3 and had this problem.

BMW has had all sorts of issues with their 2 litre 4 cyl diesel.

Just Google "N47 timing chain".

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
The element to focus on though is the location of the timing chain. Lots of cars used to have timing chain problems including Mercedes Remember the 80'S V8s and the early M102 190s- these were largely solved with the introduction of the duplex or twin chain setups. However the single chain setups were relatively simple to deal with- and ALSO REPLACE as a precautionary measure should wear be detected BECAUSE THEY WERE AT THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The latest configuration appears to to be retrograde step in going back to a single chain setup and being located between engine and gear box = impossible to work on without engine removal??:(

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I remember having a Saab many years ago with a rear mounted timing chain that was rattly.
I shoved a piece of wood down the case to quieten it and sold it to a friend for buttons because of the fault, he ran round with it for two years with the wood in place.
Before you all think I am a cowboy I would like to point out in mitigation that the wood I used was genuine Swedish pine.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
N47 (08 4pot BMW diesel engines) engines go bang around 40k miles. I've heard a story or two about OM651 engines doing the same and as miles increases we'll see a lot of engine out tales on them

Last edited:

GAD Tuning LTD

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.gadtuning.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Mercedes AMG GTS - GLS350d
We have seen an few issues with the 3.2 Cayenne, We get silly requests like can we advance timing rather than getting it sorted??? Crazy!

Regards

Anthony @ GAD

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK

FOLLOW - UP

Been for a test drive in the BMW X3 and the Audi Q5 - the BMW seem a bit out-dated, the Audi I liked, but felt it was too expensive so have seen a ML350 CDi and seems what I want so have booked a test drive tomorrow..............http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1040520#post1040520

Thanks to all who have posted

Malcolm

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
I test drove the x3 and Q5 before I bought the 204. Q5 is a better car, but as you say, expensive and also in short supply.
Bought a 204 because, well, it's a Mercedes.
X3 was awful ride and the engine sounded rougher than the 204.

crockers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Merc now sold - XC60 D5 arrived
I test drove the X3 and found it "rough". The M250 cdi is too expensive for me and too big for swmbo so have ordered a XC60 arriving in about 4-5 weeks time. Very comfy and quiet.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom