Bonnet stuck one side?

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Feel a bit foolish but having been working on removal and replacement of the Radiator I have already removed the central panel where the Bonnet locking mechanism goes into.

been upping and downing the bonnet for past few days, rem,oving parts etc

Got the underside panel off this morning but found I was unable to lift the bonnet the drivers side. Seems stuck fast. Why? The passenger side lifts ok

As I recall there is a post each side for the bonnet to stand on and get level.

Can't seem to get it to shift, but not tried with extra pair of hands. What can be snagging it?

Any ideas?

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Dont rain but it pours for me.

Thought maybe it to do with a vacuum line behind the removed slam panel could have got snagged in the locking spring. I did release it from the clips, but then why does one side of the bonnet lift and not the drivers side? Would expect consistency if snagging in centre. Doh
Can't of course see what the problem is. Maybe in darkness a torch but difficult as passenger side of bonnet will only raise an inch. I don't beleive it!!! What have I bl**dy done?

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
don't know the car but given what you've said, I would try to lift the bonnet the absolute minimum allowing you to gently twist it & lift - one way then the other - in case one of the "buffers" has caught on some of the other paneling now the slam plate is out

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Thank you I'll give that a try.

never thought about the system until now but these catches
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-P-P-...rts_SM&fits=Plat_Gen:W140&hash=item519d279883

are they released via the bonnet opening lever or are they independent of the cable.
Suspect one side is locked down

EUREKA !!! Having got a second pair of hands to pull the bonnet release handle the bonnet came free. What has happened is that in removing the slam panel the above locks are only affixed with one bolt and I guess were twisting rather than pulling back the release that particular side. Lesson learned - put back missing bolt temporarily as when cable out of clips and only one bolt there's less than necesary "pull back" to open the lock

Thanks for your thoughts.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom